GDT: Sabres at Ducks ?7p PT

pi2000

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

Alright... off to LA and let’s see if RK can get the boys back on track.  Forget it and move on.  I’m thankful our first regulation loss was two weeks in.  You can’t ask for more. 

I think the entire west coast trip as a whole will say a lot. Just like one game like tonight doesn’t say much. I’m not worried about running into a hard team tonight.

What happened to Jack shooting the puck more. The is the third game in a row that he has left shots on the ice and passed instead. It's ***** God damned maddening.

Shoot the ***** puck, Jack!!!!... every ***** time,… even when you think you shouldn't!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

That one had the feel of a playoff game with the level of thuggery, the officiating being sometimes blind to transgressions and letting things go. We didn’t handle it well and the ducks coach had a pretty good game plan on how to stop what the sabres had done in the first by taking away space and getting in their faces quickly. Our guys played a panic game the rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 2

Credit to how their defense played, but so much of the **** they did that didn't have to be initiated (and could get away with, as Rob said and we saw on PK) was infuriating. Boarding on VO, assaulting Sobotka, end of the second, missed calls early in the first, etc.

Going to have to cool down a bit before sleeping tonight, and I hope and trust this can be an off night and we can redeem ourselves and adapt. I'm definitely concerned if this serves as a consistent blueprint of sorts to beat us...the West coast trip will be very telling. 

Edited by New Guy
  • Like (+1) 1

I just re-watched the first period. Not sure why the Mitts line was essentially benched for all of the 2nd, at least at even strength, even with all the penalty stuff going on. They created a few chances off the rush and the only egregious chance against them (until the goal, which honestly didn't look all that bad for anyone but the d-man that got caught out of position forcing a right handed forward to cover for him) had far more to do with the defensive pair out there. 

I know the coverage was soft on the goal against they saw, but I'm not sure what you'd expect when asking ERod to play left-defense, and they were no worse than any other line's play on the other 3 goals, so it was a weird thing to do to effectively run 2 lines for the bulk of the game. I don't think it helped us. 

Since ERod sat for most of the rest of the game, I'd expect to see Lazar in his place. I don't really care about sitting players here and there, and for whatever reason pointing out good things about that guy gets a lot more flack than pointing out good things about other Sabres, so it's whatever, but I'm surprised it was him over Vesey, because I just grabbed a couple brief clips of plays Evan made in two shifts that Jimmy hasn't made all season. And for whatever reason, Jimmy is the winger that gets bumped up to play with Jack and Sam over guys like Skinner. Kinda bizarre. What a bizarre player. I would have never traded for him, but can't muster the energy to be angry that we did, just to be mildly curious. 

I know we all want the Mitts line to get going but tonight was a night where I think we didn't even give it a chance to. Their game has steadily gotten better over the last 3, and was good in the first period, and then they basically sat for the rest of the game 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I just re-watched the first period. Not sure why the Mitts line was essentially benched for all of the 2nd, at least at even strength, even with all the penalty stuff going on. They created a few chances off the rush and the only egregious chance against them (until the goal, which honestly didn't look all that bad for anyone but the d-man that got caught out of position forcing a right handed forward to cover for him) had far more to do with the defensive pair out there. 

I know the coverage was soft on the goal against they saw, but I'm not sure what you'd expect when asking ERod to play left-defense, and they were no worse than any other line's play on the other 3 goals, so it was a weird thing to do to effectively run 2 lines for the bulk of the game. I don't think it helped us. 

Since ERod sat for most of the rest of the game, I'd expect to see Lazar in his place. I don't really care about sitting players here and there, and for whatever reason pointing out good things about that guy gets a lot more flack than pointing out good things about other Sabres, so it's whatever, but I'm surprised it was him over Vesey, because I just grabbed a couple brief clips of plays Evan made in two shifts that Jimmy hasn't made all season. And for whatever reason, Jimmy is the winger that gets bumped up to play with Jack and Sam over guys like Skinner. Kinda bizarre. What a bizarre player. I would have never traded for him, but can't muster the energy to be angry that we did, just to be mildly curious. 

I know we all want the Mitts line to get going but tonight was a night where I think we didn't even give it a chance to. Their game has steadily gotten better over the last 3, and was good in the first period, and then they basically sat for the rest of the game 

Casey seemed to be the only guy with jump in the last five minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

Rough night, started great but succumbed to Anaheim becoming thugs.

We didn't deserve to win but there was some unlucky puck luck involved. For example Dahlin bringing the puck in on the PP, losing it but Skinner holds it in; yet the puck literally bounces from the center of the blueline to the boards until it goes into the neutral zone. There was a Scandella play in the 3rd where he made a really nice one handed clear but it seemingly hit the boards oddly as it proceeded bounce back, hit Kase's skate and right back onto Kase's stick for another opportunity.

Eichel seemed to start forcing things in the 3rd

God, can someone please give Dahlin a great shot. He's so damn close to offensive greatness but lacks a real threatening slapshot/snapshot

Strong start but in the end they fell apart because of the physicality and aggressive checking of the Ducks. This is the worry, that we will see more of this in the second half and not hold up well. As things fell apart Risto looked like last year's Risto as did several others. We basically fell apart because we do not have a crash bang line to reply with to shift things back when and if a team gets heavy on us. The Eichel line having to defend itself is not where you want to be. Have to see how we regroup, but I do see a potential problem here.

PP also got thrown off by their aggressive play. This might have revealed a weakness in it. They can't fall back into being so static and set and Olofsson, for all his great shots, has to make quicker decisions passing when the shot isn't there. 

Eichel's goal was pure superstar stuff and showed exactly what he can do at any moment any game so we are never out of it in a one goaler. Thing of beauty. 

Question now is do they bounce back or fall apart and drop into old habits. Time for Krueger to do some work. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.