GDT: Sabres at Ducks ?7p PT

pi2000

Ducks PK> Sabres PP

Gibson> Ullmark 

Rackell is very good.  That’s about it for high end talent on that team.  There is zero chance that move him.   Especially not for Risto + parts.     Should have been 4-0 after the first period.   An excellent showing by the Sabres fans tonight at the Honda Center.  

1 for 7 on the PP with 5 of those PP's being a full 2 minutes. The lack of adjustment to Anaheims high pressure PK is a bit concerning, but there are larger problems being exposed 7 games in. For example, the 3rd line is non existent and physical game lacks a bit. Physical game and poor passing we can expect from time to time, especially game 1 of the West Coast road trip, but that lack of anything from the third line game after game is more than just disconcerting now.

Plus, right handed shots, they lack them up amd down the organization, Vesey slung one to the net in the 2nd and the rebound was missed by Mitts, had there been a eighty there I think that's a goal.

A clunker, every team has'em, respond to it and move along.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

1 for 7 on the PP with 5 of those PP's being a full 2 minutes. The lack of adjustment to Anaheims high pressure PK is a bit concerning, but there are larger problems being exposed 7 games in. For example, the 3rd line is non existent and physical game lacks a bit. Physical game and poor passing we can expect from time to time, especially game 1 of the West Coast road trip, but that lack of anything from the third line game after game is more than just disconcerting now.

Plus, right handed shots, they lack them up amd down the organization, Vesey slung one to the net in the 2nd and the rebound was missed by Mitts, had there been a eighty there I think that's a goal.

A clunker, every team has'em, respond to it and move along.

That high pressure caught them off guard. They kept playing into it instead taking advantage of the area Anaheim was leaving open down low. Hopeful RK uses it as a teaching moment and solves it, preferably on this road trip.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bunomatic said:

That one had the feel of a playoff game with the level of thuggery, the officiating being sometimes blind to transgressions and letting things go. We didn’t handle it well and the ducks coach had a pretty good game plan on how to stop what the sabres had done in the first by taking away space and getting in their faces quickly. Our guys played a panic game the rest of the way.

This sums it up well.  Plus Risto had one of his horror show games.

This is what happens when a team starts feeling really good about themselves and gets an early lead.  They thought it was going to be easy and Ana had a great game plan.  The Sabres stopped working and paid the price.

It was bound to happen and now RK can reinforce his message and the team can get back to work.

Burn the tape and move on

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Strong start but in the end they fell apart because of the physicality and aggressive checking of the Ducks. This is the worry, that we will see more of this in the second half and not hold up well. As things fell apart Risto looked like last year's Risto as did several others. We basically fell apart because we do not have a crash bang line to reply with to shift things back when and if a team gets heavy on us. The Eichel line having to defend itself is not where you want to be. Have to see how we regroup, but I do see a potential problem here.

PP also got thrown off by their aggressive play. This might have revealed a weakness in it. They can't fall back into being so static and set and Olofsson, for all his great shots, has to make quicker decisions passing when the shot isn't there. 

Eichel's goal was pure superstar stuff and showed exactly what he can do at any moment any game so we are never out of it in a one goaler. Thing of beauty. 

Question now is do they bounce back or fall apart and drop into old habits. Time for Krueger to do some work. 

Did we fall apart because of aggressive checking or did we lose because they figured out our PP? 

what if if we score after the Olofsson hit.?  Or the Dahlin hit?  Or both?   If we get even one of those it’s a different game.   

I would love a crash bang line but each line has to stick up for the themselves in the moment and I thought the Sabres did that.   You can’t rely on sending out bangers to even up the rough stuff unless your PP and PK can back it up.   The officials did nothing to deter the Ducks from taking liberties either   

The biggest reason for the loss was 1 for 7 on the PP.   There are few bigger more physical teams that will give us trouble but I don’t think we lacked response except for on the PP.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Alright... off to LA and let’s see if RK can get the boys back on track.  Forget it and move on.  I’m thankful our first regulation loss was two weeks in.  You can’t ask for more. 

You can always ask for more.....like, for it to be the last one.

Not gonna happen but, you can always ask.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Eichel line is still getting outscored. 

Last year, they played 7 games with Skinner on a different line before putting him with Jack. 

Eichel and Skinner were +10 on the season last year.

I'm just sayin

The problem is I don't think Olafson works on Mojo's line.  He's just not strong enough on the puck; he needs to work on that aspect of his game.  But given that I can't see Mojo and Olafsson doing anything together, unless Sobotka really starts to bring it offensively.

Well this is obviously proof that were all humans, ups and downs.
Linus really had a bad night, and i didnt even get to see the whole game but its easy to tell when he is having a bad night.

It's in a game like this you need your goalie so much, unfortunatly that did not happen, and this is where Linus really need to step up.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Linus really had a bad night, and i didnt even get to see the whole game but its easy to tell when he is having a bad night.

It's in a game like this you need your goalie so much, unfortunatly that did not happen, and this is where Linus really need to step up.

I did like when he jumped in after Vlad got attacked.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

No idea what you're trying to say here.

His location says Niagara Falls....does that help?

5 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Lots of reasons the Sabres lost and Linus is one of them, but certainly not the only reason.  I don't think Hutts wins that game for us either.

5 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Very easy. I said he looked off early in the game and got laughed at.

Those two late period goals heading into intermission is what killed them.

Jake McCabe with a great assessment of the game

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjm9bGGrKPlAhWOq1kKHbo2B-MQwqsBMAB6BAgJEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhl.com%2Fsabres%2Fvideo%2Fjake-mccabe-postgame-101619%2Fc-4385516&usg=AOvVaw03o_-qlLI5guQn4S0z105H

His take on the Ducks’ “thuggery”- “That’s hockey right there,...” ??

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

59 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Have you tried using a barrel?

My incomplete statement about what happens tonight was really an open question about are we going to be a different team than last year.

My hope is that we rebound tonight and get back on a new streak as opposed to last year’s alternative.  I think Ralph will have the guys in the proper mindset, so it will come down to desire and execution.  He hinted at lineup changes in his post game press conference.

No barrels required.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.