Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

"We Always Loved the Sabres" 2.0

It's hard to believe it's been six years since @SwampD and I collaborated on the Billy Joel parody "We Always Loved the Sabres" ("We Didn't Start the Fire").

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/22047-we-always-loved-the-sabres-world-premiere/

Because some things about the original have always bothered me (not the musicianship, for sure), and because it's the 50th anniversary, and because, well, six years have passed, I've been working on a revamp. I deleted some tough-to-sing lines and a really bad rhyme and fixed a chronological boo-boo. I added one very obscure reference that just happened to rhyme perfectly and released Jochen Hecht from the jail of disdain in favor of someone much, much more worthy.

The main change is an added stanza that allowed room for 2007-2010-ish references and a new ending. I wanted the ending to be less snarky and more positive (less cheap?) than the original. I also wanted a sort of stream of consciousness, happy-sad-crazy mash-up of images across all generations of fans before returning squarely to the present.

I don't know if @SwampDcan re-do the song or not. This post is NOT an attempt to shame him into doing so. We've been chatting over the years about making a few very simple changes, but this is close to a complete re-do. No big deal if he can't. The original recording, honest to God, is one of the greatest gifts anyone ever gave me. I can't ask for more.

This post is more about crowd-sourcing the lyrics. There are so many worthy mentions that had to be left out. If any of you can figure out a way to include one in the song, and make it work lyrically, leave a comment. Or if you see an error. I hate that Jim Lorentz, the bat, Mike Ramsey and the Zamboni door brawl couldn't be fit in. But "Muckler" could replace "Steve Shields" and "Ramsay, Luce and" could replace "Tsujimoto." Contemplating those...

Anyway, here it is.

"We Always Loved the Sabres"

Ruben Pastor, Seymour Knox, Bob Swados, Norty Knox, Oakland Seals, backroom deals, Sabres in Buffalo

Clarence Campbell, Gil Perreault, Roger Crozier, Luc Nadeau, Punch and Dodo, Sundae Bafo, faceoff with Beliveau

Gerry Meehan, Goyette, Ted Darling, Jeanneret, Christie, seats in the sky, and hip checks by Robitaille

French Connection, Aud streak, Buffalo's got a winning team, Thank you Sabres, Thank you Sabres, Tim Horton goodbye

We always loved the Sabres
When our hearts were churnin'
When our dreams were burnin'
No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Tsujimoto, Danny Gare, Gary Bromley, fog, Robert, We're gonna win that Stanley Cup, ooh ah Sabres

Blizzard, 12 to 6, April Fool's Day hijinx, See ya Seymour, on the warpath

Schoeny, snow days, old transistor radios, Earl Howze, Foligno, Wowie Housley, Bobby O

Ellis, Colisee, Frankie Sauve, Chevrier, Bert retires, Bowman's fired, Sabres trade Barrasso

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Playoff drought, defector, Pizzutelli, jugular, May Day, We Want Ray, La La La La LaFontaine

Hannan from Jason Dawe, Jimmy Hoffa goal call, Aram Khachaturian, Farewell Auditorium

Randy Burridge, Barnaby, Jumbotron, Ojibwa, Boogie Man's big nose, melted cheese and nachos

Steve Shields, fans in love, Derek Plante off Tugnutt's glove, Dominator Psycho, chaos in the Crossroads

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Lindy, Darcy, Fraser, Dom as Cosmo Kramer, Smehlik, Zhitnik, Klatt can't beat Dominik

Rolie's in and Rob Ray scores, Sabres win the Border War, Stuuuuu!, Simonick, number 4's helmet kiss

Tool talk, Peca walks, Sabres owner shown on FOX, SHK, NRK, what else do I have to say?

No we didn't light it
And could never fight it

Larry Quinn, Bettman, blue and gold is back again, 7-6, Sausage, staphylococcus

Soupy, who else?, Goo Goo Dolls, goalies in a line brawl, Captains vanish in thin air, Van becomes a millionaire

Winter Classic, Adam Mair, Sabres witness Colgan Air, Pat Kaleta, Pominville, Ryan Miller, fragile

As we learned to suffer
Only made us tougher

Goodbye 7, empty wing, hockey heaven, suffering, Ville Leino, hole in net, Hull, slug, Dudacek

Cookie monster, sabrejak, King Kong, heart attack, Mittelstadt, here comes Shack, a young fan from Saranac

Sabres win it fourteen-four, Eichel Tower, Montador, Rasmus Dahlin shoots he scores, I can't take it anymore!

And when we are gone
They will skate on and on and on and on
And on and on and on and on…

As we learned to suffer
Only made us tougher

When our dreams were burnin'…

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

That was 6 years freakin years ago,... ugh,... and several computers ago. Gonna have to search the drives.

My kid used to have August off from school. I remember taking two weeks off of that one splitting my time between taking care of her, binge watching the entire Breaking Bad series (except that last 5 episodes, which I still haven’t seen), and recording this. I’ve had way worse vacations.

I’ll wait for the consensus final revision and see if I still have the pipes (not that I ever did😀)

Two things. Is it really chronological? That’s pretty cool. Maybe I kinda noticed that, but never really thought about it (forest cuz of the trees thing, I guess.) Second, its nice to be reminded just now awesome music is. As much as it’s a part of my everyday life, a statement like “one of the greatest gifts anyone ever gave me” gives that gift right back.

ROCK’EM SABRES!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

Great job, but it is not chronological. Look at how late "here comes Shack" appears.

It's chronological through "suffering," then it goes into the mash-up of images from franchise history. Eichel and Dahlin bring us back. Creative license!