Sabres Practice Lines 10-15-19

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure what I think about that.

I think ERod was just warming up. 

If Sheary can come back in and be Game 1, two-goal Sheary that would be good.  But if he's still a little dinged up I'd rather have a healthy ERod.

It's going to depend on what they want from that 4th line. Sheary seems to be worse defensively in more sheltered minutes than Erod, so Erod could theoretically pull a Sobotka and earn that spot by allowing his teammates more freedom to create offense despite not contributing himself on the score sheet.

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Not sure what I think about that.

I think ERod was just warming up

If Sheary can come back in and be Game 1, two-goal Sheary that would be good.  But if he's still a little dinged up I'd rather have a healthy ERod.

Interesting, watching yesterday I didn't see that, I saw a shell of the player we saw at times in the second half last year. He mishandled the puck a few times and screwed up the cycle on a couple occasions. Maybe I'm missing something.

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

More of a half-empty/half-full thing.

He was pretty invisible his first game, but he seemed more engaged yesterday.

I very much like the player and thought he was strong at times last year. I raised an eyebrow when he didn't make the lineup coming out of camp. Matter of fact, I thought it was crazy, but after watching him so far, not sure he's helped himself.

54 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I very much like the player and thought he was strong at times last year. I raised an eyebrow when he didn't make the lineup coming out of camp. Matter of fact, I thought it was crazy, but after watching him so far, not sure he's helped himself.

I agree.  eRod has not looked good this year, but besides the Pens game, that entire line has struggled this season.  Vesey has looked slow and more suited for a 4th line grinder role.  Middlestat has show flashes, but appears more suited as an NHL winger at this point than a center.  Sheary was great against the Pens (as usual) but trailed off after that.  Sheary gets an incomplete from me at this point because of the injury, but when he was in the line-up he looked more effective than eRod. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It was on one such road trip that Lindy Ruff put shaving cream on Mal Davis' pillow!!!

That's a story I hadn't heard.

58 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

appears more suited as an NHL winger at this point than a center. 

I'm losing optimism re: Casey.  He's got mad skills, but.......

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

That's a story I hadn't heard.

Hopefully Asplund is ready for the 3C role at some point this season so we can try Mitts with MoJo and Skinner

Edited by #freejame
On the wing
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

How DARE @nfreeman have the audacity to call the Larsson line merely the 3rd line.  They've clearly been the 2nd most important line all season and are finally getting recognized as such.  ?

Well, I’ve heard that there is no way that Sobotka can play in the top 6, so I guess this is one way of keeping in line with at.  ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Yeah, that's why I think he is more suited as a winger.  He is so offensive minded and always wants the puck on his stick.  Let's reduce his defensive responsibilities and see how we does on a wing.  He does look bigger and heavier this year so I think he would be effective in the corners once he got used to the position.  Maybe in time he can develop into an NHL center, but he doesn't seem there yet.  I think him playing HS hockey vs Junior and then only getting one season of college hurt his development in that position.  He likely just didn't have to worry about defense in that league because the competition wasn't there to challenge him.

Remember how Ruff once opined (and I'm paraphrasing) that he wasn't going to put Afinogenov in a defensive role/situation because Max is an offensive player - period end of sentence.  While not as extreme of a case, that might be what we have here in Casey...

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

I used to wake-up looking forward to line changes.  The disco jazz brought upon endless possibilities that never came to fruition, but at least gave a daily dose of hope.  That joy in my life is now gone.  Krueger, you have taken my winter joy away from me.  What do?

Enjoy the wins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.