Eichel, other NHL'ers, skate blade connoisseurs (Athletic, sub. needed)

PromoTheRobot

https://theathletic.com/1235541/2019/10/15/steel-psychos-and-box-guys-inside-the-rapidly-evolving-world-of-nhl-skate-blades/?source=dailyemail

“It’s such a tight league, if I can get a little advantage whether it’s equipment, ability – anything you can – you try to take advantage of it,” said the Sabres’ Jack Eichel, as smooth and fast  skater as there is in the NHL (non-McDavid division). “It’s no different with steel.”

Eichel may be only 22, but like his fellow youngster Beauvillier he has been experimenting with blades and configurations for several years.

“The more I got into it the more I started learning about it,” Eichel said. “I think the further you go in your career, the more changes you make. You just kind of want to educate yourself because sometimes it could just be a bit of an overlooked part of skating and so for me I try to pay attention to it.”

• Like (+1) 1

That was a great article and it's the kind of stuff I'm really fascinated with as an extremely average beer league player who needs to be as good as possible while being as out of shape as possible.

Getting my skates dialed in made a huge difference for me so I can't even imagine what it is like for good players to suddenly have the right setup on their feet. They've made it to the NHL wearing skates that don't fit right, blades that aren't profiled or sharpened right.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Tremendous article and explains why my last year purchase of pair CCMs to replace Bauer Vapor XXVs didnt work.  Lot to unpack including machine profiling of blades and what that means for older guys...

What CCMs did you get to replace the Vapors? What don't you like about the CCMs?

I went from Vapors to Supremes (which I hated) to CCM Ribcors (which I love).

The toughest thing with modern skates is how stiff the boot has gotten. It's a lot easier to mess up the fit and feel like you're fighting the skate with the stiffer boots.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

What CCMs did you get to replace the Vapors? What don't you like about the CCMs?

I went from Vapors to Supremes (which I hated) to CCM Ribcors (which I love).

The toughest thing with modern skates is how stiff the boot has gotten. It's a lot easier to mess up the fit and feel like you're fighting the skate with the stiffer boots.

Id have to look again, not ribcor... 1 step down... blades were too flat not enough camber, had them profiled but never felt right and foot doesnt sit right in  left skate... lateral mallelous rubs inside my boot despite baking them 3 times and having them adjusted... Bauers fit my narrow heals better.

Edited by North Buffalo

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Id have to look again, not ribcor... 1 step down... blades were too flat not enough camber, had them profiled but never felt right and foot does sit right in  left skate... lateral mallelous rubs inside my boot despite baking them 3 times and having them adjusted... Bauers fit my narrow heals better.

I have narrow heels too and always liked the Vapor for that reason. There's not really anything in the CCM line that compares. The Ribor's heel is a little less narrow but works for me. The Jetspeeds might work. Tacks were a no-go for the same reason as the Supremes.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I have narrow heels too and always liked the Vapor for that reason. There's not really anything in the CCM line that compares. The Ribor's heel is a little less narrow but works for me. The Jetspeeds might work. Tacks were a no-go for the same reason as the Supremes.

Once I get my energy back gonna go try some different pairs on and see bringing my old vapors with me for comparison.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Once I get my energy back gonna go try some different pairs on and see bring my old vapors with me for comparison.

It's going to be tough to compare given how they want you to lace skates now. I think the old Vapors could get away with a snug fit all the way to the top eyelet but modern boots seem to want you to leave them pretty loose at the top and allow the lower part of the boot to keep your heel locked. I know a lot of NHL guys leave one or two sets of eyelets unlaced now as long as their heel isn't moving around. I couldn't imagine doing that, but I do know that I lace the upper eyelets on my Ribcors a lot looser than I used to on my old Vapors.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

It's going to be tough to compare given how they want you to lace skates now. I think the old Vapors could get away with a snug fit all the way to the top eyelet but modern boots seem to want you to leave them pretty loose at the top and allow the lower part of the boot to keep your heel locked. I know a lot of NHL guys leave one or two sets of eyelets unlaced now as long as their heel isn't moving around. I couldn't imagine doing that, but I do know that I lace the upper eyelets on my Ribcors a lot looser than I used to on my old Vapors.

I started skipping the top eyelet and it made a massive difference. Almost like switching hollows the first time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I started skipping the top eyelet and it made a massive difference. Almost like switching hollows the first time. 

It's amazing what the stiffness and a good heel lock will let you get away with in terms of ankle freedom. It really makes for a more efficient stride.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Actually do that now

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

What position?  I was considering that profile for my 13 y/o as well.  We have a Sparx Sharpener as well and he uses the 1/2" Fire edge (the flat bottom style).  I've been getting close to having him try the 5/8" but I wanted it to get colder out so the ice gets a little harder to see what's what.  As soft as the ice is here in the summer he could skate on a plastic fork.

He plays D... he's tall for his age so he skates kinda upright.    They guy who did the profiling made a few tweaks to the standard QUAD-0 to adjust for that.    My kid described it as feeling more natural on the ice.

We have pretty soft ice out here in southern California so 1/2" is a little too grippy most of the time.

Myself, I switched to the 1/2" Fire ring a few years ago and I've been using it since.   It's great for the soft ice.

20 hours ago, darksabre said:

I went with Jetspeeds over the tacks and swapped the CCM holders with Tuuks.  The CCM holders felt too narrow under my foot and I popped the the rivets every two or three times out. (6'7' 265) I was fortunate enough to have friends who do the blade work with the Hawks hook me up and do an analysis of angle and COM.  They gave me some suggestions on profile that were spot on.  More efficient and better overall balance especially in transition from straight line to lateral to backwards.  They also recommended a custom blade from a Japanese steel company known for their golf clubs but I declined the $600 up charge.  This stuff is real.  I then went and had a local ski shop do some work on my sticks to get the edges where I wanted them and that made a huge difference. If you really get into this stuff there will be people like me willing to pay for better performance out of the already high priced gear.  Good Luck.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 3putt said:

I went with Jetspeeds over the tacks and swapped the CCM holders with Tuuks.  The CCM holders felt too narrow under my foot and I popped the the rivets every two or three times out. (6'7' 265) I was fortunate enough to have friends who do the blade work with the Hawks hook me up and do an analysis of angle and COM.  They gave me some suggestions on profile that were spot on.  More efficient and better overall balance especially in transition from straight line to lateral to backwards.  They also recommended a custom blade from a Japanese steel company known for their golf clubs but I declined the $600 up charge.  This stuff is real.  I then went and had a local ski shop do some work on my sticks to get the edges where I wanted them and that made a huge difference. If you really get into this stuff there will be people like me willing to pay for better performance out of the already high priced gear.  Good Luck.

I think it tends to be worth it if it allows you to enjoy the game more. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, right? 

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think it tends to be worth it if it allows you to enjoy the game more. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, right? 

Confidence comes from many places. Knowing your gear will perform the way you want it to is just one of them.

1 hour ago, 3putt said:

I wish the run-of-the-mill stuff got cheaper and more focus was put on personalization/customization.  Knowing these companies, they'll just jack up the price on both though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.