Lawrence Pilut is a Full Participant in The Amerks Practice Today

Brawndo

Based on what we've seen so far, the Sabres have the luxury of leaving him in the AHL for a while.  So long as the team is performing at a high level and everyone remains healthy, there is no need to change the lineup.  It also gives Pilut more development time.  He got thrown into the fire pretty quickly when he got to North America, and did pretty well under the circumstances, but some time to develop at a more regulated pace might be good for him.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ... said:

I still don't know what you folks see in that guy.  Especially now.  I think he's trade bait.

He should remain in a developmental phase, but yeah, I could see this season heading down a path where they might want to move a prospect like him for a forward somewhere around the deadline.  There is currently no room for him on the big club.  Gilmour gets bumped once Montour is back.  After that, there isn't anyone you'd be moving.  Maybe he can be an injury callup, but I think they'd probably use Gilmour head of him for that.

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Pilut will stay in Rochester until we have more injuries.   Scandella saved his spot with his early play.

Who is the odd man out when montour is back. Risto traded?  I would rather have risto vs scandella 

What about bogo. Is he supposed to be back this season?

Edited by miles

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

@shrader -- I think Gilmour has to clear waivers to go to Rochester, so I think it's more likely that, when Montour returns, if no one else is hurt, they just keep Gilmour in Buffalo and carry 2 extra defensemen.

There's no risk there, especially if the pattern continues where Gilmour never plays.  There's no sense in carrying 8 defenseman, particularly when one will never play.  He'd be much better served getting ice time in Rochester and the Amerks would be better for it as well.

40 minutes ago, miles said:

Who is the odd man out when montour is back. Risto traded?  I would rather have risto vs scandella 

What about bogo. Is he supposed to be back this season?

How awesome is it to not have an obvious man out when a top 6 guy comes back into the lineup?

• Like (+1) 3

The little bit we saw of Montour last season, he seemed to be quite the freelancer when it came to jumping up in the play and I don’t have a good feel for his play in his own end.  

I’m anxious to see his play under a new HC and system. 

Edited by LabattBlue

I think RFK's system provides for the freelancers.  The critical double-shift that led to the delay of game yesterday featured constant rotation down low by the defensemen with wings covering the point.  When things broke down they kicked the puck back to the point to the winger who then moved the puck down and the Dman resumed point duty.  Not freelancing exactly since they're following a system, but it allows for Dmen who want to get involved on offense.  Not sure about his defensive zone coverage, but again, I would expect RFK to match him to a suitable partner.

Edited by Doohickie

The ideal plan for Pilut is that he dominates in Rochester, gets a few looks in Buffalo to see if his NHL game has improved enough to pencil him in to next year’s team as a replacement for Bogo or Scandella.

He’s also a potential trade piece depending on how guys like Jokiharju, Bryson and Samuelsson continue to develop.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.