The voice of Jim Lorentz

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The historical clips they are sprinkling into the broadcasts are great. Last night they played a Jim Lorentz TV call of an Alexander Mogilny goal five seconds into a game in Toronto (!). Some might forget Jim was pressed into play by play duty a number of times over the years. It happened one night in the early 80s when Rick got sick during a Canadiens game at the Aud and had to go home. Then Jim did at least one game after that while Rick recuperated. Jim also stepped in when Rick had voice/throat problems in 1993. I think it was a game in Hamilton that Rick had to excuse himself from.

But the reason he was calling this Leafs game in December 1991 is that Ted Darling had been pulled off the air after some erratic performances. I'm not sure by then they knew exactly what was wrong with Ted, but eventually it was discovered he had Pick's Disease, a degenerative brain disorder.

Jim was very good at play by play, and of course he is indisputably the best color analyst the team has ever had. And he killed a bat one time. An unforgettable figure in team history. I hope the fish are biting for him.

Miss his presence in the broadcast booth regularly.

Good post. Jim was stellar. I miss him a lot.

One more thing, Lorentz knew proper protocol when adding his color commentary to the broadcast. He waited till the play by play was done, then he added his insight. I'M LOOKING AT YOU NBCSports Network, Pierre Mcguire and Ed Olczyk! Constant babble from these two DURING the live action! Incredibly annoying and unprofessional. I always have to put it on MUTE because of this. Doc Emmick is no prize either.... "with a Driiiiive!"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Good post. Jim was stellar. I miss him a lot.

One more thing, Lorentz knew proper protocol when adding his color commentary to the broadcast. He waited till the play by play was done, then he added his insight. I'M LOOKING AT YOU NBCSports Network, Pierre Mcguire and Ed Olczyk! Constant babble from these two DURING the live action! Incredibly annoying and unprofessional. I always have to put it on MUTE because of this. Doc Emmick is no prize either.... "with a Driiiiive!"

and Rob Ray.....Ray is constantly talking during the action and I can tell RJ is aggravated

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yes! Jim is the GOAT.  I found this game on youtube a few weeks ago while waiting for the season to start.  It's a beauty on the ice and to the ears, exceptional performance by Rick and Jim.  

Wonder how he will be involved in the 50th.  If they honor him at a game or whatever I will definitely try to get there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I hope he does come back. I don't think he left on unhappy terms, but I'm not sure. A former broadcaster night would be cool. Jim, Roby, Brian Blessing maybe. Heck, I'll even allow John Gurtler.

Here's one thing thing he has done in retirement:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj0pN6_4Z7lAhWOVN8KHeSRAKAQxfQBCDUwAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbuffalonews.com%2F2017%2F11%2F15%2Fformer-sabre-lorentz-finds-the-net-with-fishing-book%2F&usg=AOvVaw0x5BjBaRA66O7ppdWCO4WE

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Yes! Jim is the GOAT.  I found this game on youtube a few weeks ago while waiting for the season to start.  It's a beauty on the ice and to the ears, exceptional performance by Rick and Jim.  

Wonder how he will be involved in the 50th.  If they honor him at a game or whatever I will definitely try to get there.

RJ's finest work over the years, by far, has come during these types of melees on the ice.

Now that this sort of thing is almost entirely removed from the game, he seldom has opportunity to elevate his game to the same level.  I really miss it.

RJ not only liked the brawling stuff, he loved it.  

The passion in his "play calling" during this stuff is just magical.

BTW:  My favorite line from this clip you posted: "I can't even tell who that is.  It's either Daniels, Lacroix, or Kordic."

LMFAO...

My God how I miss this stuff!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

While we're at it, I'd give away two of my three whammy weenies to anyone who could find an internet-accessible copy of the Chef's commercial that featured the French Connection singing "That's Amore". I have tried and tried. @PASabreFan- you are probably my only hope.

I'll look, and I'll find — as long as your giving me your whammy weenie is not a euphemism.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

While we're at it, I'd give away two of my three whammy weenies to anyone who could find an internet-accessible copy of the Chef's commercial that featured the French Connection singing "That's Amore". I have tried and tried. @PASabreFan- you are probably my only hope.

Not sure if I've got that one on tape; almost positive I've got " yummy, yummy, Chef's pasta sauce" on tape.  If you can recall what year that one would've been, might be able to find you a grainy copy.

And PS, a friend who's clearing g out some of his memorabilia just gave me one of those.  (Shaddap, Inky. ? )

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, @That Aud Smellyour best bet would be to find a full game with commercials. Unfortunately, as in the Flyers game above, I think most people remove the commercials.

Thanks. I'm trying to recall when it would have aired. Following Perreault's retirement, I'm sure. So, probably in the early to mid 90s.

Hey @Taro T - when does the "yummy yummy" ad date from?

And just like that, with a little tweaking of my Google search terms, I have a lead.

Another memorable photo at Chef’s Restaurant was one with Louie John, his sister and his dad with the French Connection in their hockey uniforms in 1997. “It was 1997 and we were rolling out our brand of bottled sauce so we used the Connection in our Chef’s Restaurant television commercials. Those were some fun times for all of us. 

“After the commercial had run for several years, Rico and his wife come into Chef’s Restaurant for dinner,” Louie John said. “Rico comes up to me and says, some women and man come up to me in the Boulevard Mall and says I know you. You are the guys from the Chef’s Restaurant commercials who sings.” Rico replies, “No, I play hockey.” To which the man, “No, you were on the commercial singing. You are a singer, right.” 

http://www.allsportswny.com/special-features/chefs-restaurant/

54 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks. I'm trying to recall when it would have aired. Following Perreault's retirement, I'm sure. So, probably in the early to mid 90s.

Hey @Taro T - when does the "yummy yummy" ad date from?

It would be about that same vintage, maybe a bit closer to 2000.

(And it might even be from the same ad.  They might have been singing at the end of that one.)

Edited by Taro T

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And just like that, with a little tweaking of my Google search terms, I have a lead.

Another memorable photo at Chef’s Restaurant was one with Louie John, his sister and his dad with the French Connection in their hockey uniforms in 1997. “It was 1997 and we were rolling out our brand of bottled sauce so we used the Connection in our Chef’s Restaurant television commercials. Those were some fun times for all of us. 

“After the commercial had run for several years, Rico and his wife come into Chef’s Restaurant for dinner,” Louie John said. “Rico comes up to me and says, some women and man come up to me in the Boulevard Mall and says I know you. You are the guys from the Chef’s Restaurant commercials who sings.” Rico replies, “No, I play hockey.” To which the man, “No, you were on the commercial singing. You are a singer, right.” 

http://www.allsportswny.com/special-features/chefs-restaurant/

I came here to post this:

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Rob Ray if anything should be 3rd man in the group(from ice level).  I've always thought it strange, not to have your primary analyst up in the press box where the view of the entire rink is so much better.

That being said, Ray's butchering of the English language isn't going to be any better no matter where he is sitting.  LOL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.