GDT: Dallas visits Buffalo Sabres Oct. 14th, 3pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

Passing majorly improved from the first five games. Made a big difference tonight. 

We prey on weaker defenses and Dallas has one. Glad we can dominate these teams.  Took a period to wear them down then the gates opened. 

Ive worried about Oloffson on 5v5 as a lot of cycle ends on his turn, but he made nice plays today. 

Even Sobotka had some good moments. No player looked bad today.  Dahlin is only 19 ?

Excited for this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Not the first time this has happened this year. Not sure what it’s going to take for this narrative to die.

It was the first time he got a primary assist off the rush.  It was his first point of the year!

The narrative is that Sobotka is not a good offensive player.  You think he is?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

It was the first time he got a primary assist off the rush.  It was his first point of the year!

The narrative is that Sobotka is not a good offensive player.  You think he is?

The narrative is that Sobotka does not and cannot contribute in a meaningful way. 

• Like (+1) 1

Risto again 23:43 minutes played . By far the most. Can’t complain with a perfect result. Is this just early season going with best at hand. Past evidence has shown such ice time played not sustainable over a season. Is this just short term or has something changed in his play? They show casing him? Just using what they have until healthy? I root for Risto to do well as a Sabre but see him as second pair used wisely not first pair. Is it possible he has coach who believes in him or coach just going short term with best he has ? 

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The narrative is that Sobotka does not and cannot contribute in a meaningful way. 

He is ok defensively/positionally.  He doesn’t make gaffes.  But his offensive skills are pretty limited.  He doesn’t contribute much on that end.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, millbank said:

Risto again 23:43 minutes played . By far the most. Can’t complain with a perfect result. Is this just early season going with best at hand. Past evidence has shown such ice time played not sustainable over a season. Is this just short term or has something changed in his play? They show casing him? Just using what they have until healthy? I root for Risto to do well as a Sabre but see him as second pair used wisely not first pair. Is it possible he has coach who believes in him or coach just going short term with best he has ? 

It's that he's not what his numbers have said about him.  We've had massive issues on defense and after the first handful of reasons - then you can look at Risto.  Is he perfect?  No, but he's a good player.  He's tied for the 41st highest paid defenseman and at this point - is tremendous value.  

Defense, IMO, is the hardest position after goaltender to hide not having a good game.  His issues get way over blown, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Curt said:

He is ok defensively/positionally.  He doesn’t make gaffes.  But his offensive skills are pretty limited.  He doesn’t contribute much on that end.

Just because someone is bad doesn’t mean they cannot contribute in any way at any given time. Everyone here has seen him make them before. His contributions are inconsistent and unremarkable, but he makes them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 7+6=13 said:

It's that he's not what his numbers have said about him.  We've had massive issues on defense and after the first handful of reasons - then you can look at Risto.  Is he perfect?  No, but he's a good player.  He's tied for the 41st highest paid defenseman and at this point - is tremendous value.  

Defense, IMO, is the hardest position after goaltender to hide not having a good game.  His issues get way over blown, IMO.  

I agree with you on that. Defensemen do normally mature later and I believe he is and can be a very good defensemen . But not confident he a first pair but second . Used wisely in places he can succeed better 

Great game by all wonderful really . Just pondering what is sustainable 

Risto has been much better so far.  My big complaint with him has been that he under utilizes his defense partner by reversing the puck or going side to side.  He had the habit of trying to muscle it out or just fire it up the boards.  I don't know why (RFK, Trade rumors, etc.) but he seems to be much calmer and using his partner and teammates much better this year.  

Edited by Tondas

3 minutes ago, Stads said:

What does it all mean? I don't know if I'm ready to fully open up my heart to this team. The pain of last year still lingers. They wouldn't do it again, right?

Screenshot_20191014-180907.png

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.