GDT: Dallas visits Buffalo Sabres Oct. 14th, 3pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

23 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

It's that he's not what his numbers have said about him.  We've had massive issues on defense and after the first handful of reasons - then you can look at Risto.  Is he perfect?  No, but he's a good player.  He's tied for the 41st highest paid defenseman and at this point - is tremendous value.  

Defense, IMO, is the hardest position after goaltender to hide not having a good game.  His issues get way over blown, IMO.  

The dude is a horse! Unfortunately, he is the whipping boy of some on here. Way underrated as a real world player by the numbers crowd.

• Like (+1) 5

To keep things in perspective they've only played one team (PIT) inside the top 15 in the league. 

They are playing better but I'm not sure they can compete night in night out against the likes of BOS, TBL, TOR,  CAR, WSH, etc...

Just now, pi2000 said:

To keep things in perspective they've only played one team (PIT) inside the top 15 in the league. 

They are playing better but I'm not sure they can compete night in night out against the likes of BOS, TBL, TOR,  CAR, WSH, etc...

Small sample size, but I can't remember them having a start of the season like this.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

But, against 4 teams whom finished in the Top 15 last year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This is a little unfair considering Dallas, CBJ, and Pit were playoffs teams last year, and Mon had 96 pts. In addition, all but CBJ were predicted playoff teams this season.  

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Stads said:

What does it all mean? I don't know if I'm ready to fully open up my heart to this team. The pain of last year still lingers. They wouldn't do it again, right?

Of course they would, and they probably will.

But if you really, really care about a team, and you stick with them, every now and then you get to experience something amazing.

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I was thinking this myself today.

OTOH, there are a lot of teams in the unwashed middle and the lower tier, and plenty of points available there to secure a playoff spot.

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I’d like to see them keep attacking

They kinda did.

From what I could see they went into a 1-1-3 forecheck mode. Only one forward was deep and pressuring the D-man with the puck. Another forward was just above the face off circles in the o-zone and the other three where around the center line.

They did attack the puck quick and take away passing lanes.

They did learn from their last few games when they had the same opportunity.

Most importantly all 4 lines had good long puck control shifts in the o-zone. Which I believe is what you wanted to see happen most of all.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

textbook win from a team playing as a team.

I am starting to notice all the little things that are different. Examples, Risto dropping back rather than charging the corner on offense (and getting caught deep), stretch passes, back checking, defensive coverage, smart positional hockey. Is it too early to say Krueger is coach of the year? 

Hutton is sooooooooo much better when the D is there to pick up the rebounds. 

Let's see how we handle a road trip now. 

• Like (+1) 2

So looking forward to see how Krueger gets the team to play on the 3 games west coast trip.

It should tell a lot where they are really at.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I am starting to notice all the little things that are different. Examples, Risto dropping back rather than charging the corner on offense (and getting caught deep), stretch passes, back checking, defensive coverage, smart positional hockey. Is it too early to say Krueger is coach of the year? 

You beat me to it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Not the first time this has happened this year. Not sure what it’s going to take for this narrative to die.

It literally is - it's his first point, and first contribution to a goal, unless you count skating in a straight line towards the goalie while Johansson and Skinner complete a cross-ice roof job goal. 

As compelling as his 13 point pace season is in a top six role... ?

Just yanking your chain. He's been playing fine. Still waiting for an upgrade on the spot, internal or otherwise

Edited by Randall Flagg

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good post.  Totally agreed on all points...at least for a game 6 assessment.  We have to wait and see what these guys are like month to month.  And as @pi2000 noted, we haven't seen the top-tier teams yet.

So, with those qualifiers submitted, this isn't the same team who went 10-in-a-row last season.  IMHO, this is a significantly better team.  Calm, position-ally sound, responsible with their goalie, taking pucks to the high-danger areas.  It's stunning a lot of these guys are the same.

If this continues, RK will definitely be leading the coach-of-the-year race, and, frankly, Botterill should get some type of award.  Do we really have a GM who knows what his team needs from coaching on down?  Does Botterill really get the X-factor of team chemistry and other intangibles, and able to mix them with a keen reading of player metrics?  Which one of these things would you drop if it meant we could have the remainders?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I only saw five minutes of this one (included the Reinhart goal). How was the third period?

As @PerreaultForever said, it was a textbook win from a high-caliber team. You couldn't ask for a better period from any team.

If you're going to watch the full game replay on MSG, skip the first, watch the second and third.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.