Ice time and deployment

dudacek

20 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

well, they're certainly not getting protected usage when they're out there. they have a defensive zone start % of about 65%.

I think he was referring to the Mittlstadt line.

Are they getting 65% D zone starts?

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

The "fourth line" is Sheary/Casey/Vesey.   Our third line (GLO) is utilized correctly (IMHO) with a 65% D-zone start.  

Got it. Amazingly, the LOG line is CRUSHING expected SOG per 60 — even with 2/3 starts in the d zone.

Again: Where’s @darksabre at?! #OkposoLIVES

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the Johansson/Skinner/Sobotka lone has gotten pretty heavy defensive deployment, yet Skinner has still been scoring at ES.

That's a savvy veteran line.

Kruger must tell them *you wants goals? You're our leaders on the ice by example, play the 120 foot game and show how it's done*.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:56 AM, Curt said:

One interesting thing I’ve seen is that the Johansson/Skinner/Sobotka lone has gotten pretty heavy defensive deployment, yet Skinner has still been scoring at ES.

Skinner has probably been our best forward, at least to my eye. At least at ES. He's a great player and you can see why Botterill was confident in getting the contract done, he was going to pay what it took. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner has probably been our best forward, at least to my eye. At least at ES. He's a great player and you can see why Botterill was confident in getting the contract done, he was going to pay what it took. 

Yeah, I find Skinner to be a really interesting player.  He doesn’t really “drive” a line, but he is tenacious in all areas of the game, is generally always in the right place, great skater and of course a great finisher.  He is that somewhat rare pure goalscorer, who also goes out there and grinds for the puck.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I find Skinner to be a really interesting player.  He doesn’t really “drive” a line, but he is tenacious in all areas of the game, is generally always in the right place, great skater and of course a great finisher.  He is that somewhat rare pure goalscorer, who also goes out there and grinds for the puck.

All that stuff you mentioned does seem like driving a line, to me. It's interesting cause we heard a lot about that being Sam this season, even Botterill mentioned it, but so far that task has fallen to Skinner. Johansson has been good, and a welcome surprise to an extent, but there's no question who the best player on that line has been. 

I'm eager to see if they eventually switch it up and give Jack Marcus's wingers, to get the Eichel line going at even strength. Reinhart has been decent but not his best self, maybe once he's at full go he gets that opportunity to drive a line, along with Marcus. 

Skinner would have to increase the production of line 1 to at least the same extent line 2 suffers by moving him off of it. Ideally, the top line starts scoring before that move happens. Or, if the move is made, Reinhart and Johansson have chemistry to the extent that whatever line 1 improves by is "found money". 

Doubt we see a change while the wins are still flowing. I'm also crossing my fingers that we remain healthy for when Montour gets back, I'm very intrigued by the idea of adding one more solid top 6 forward to the mix, allowing even greater flexibility there. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

All that stuff you mentioned does seem like driving a line, to me. It's interesting cause we heard a lot about that being Sam this season, even Botterill mentioned it, but so far that task has fallen to Skinner. Johansson has been good, and a welcome surprise to an extent, but there's no question who the best player on that line has been. 

I'm eager to see if they eventually switch it up and give Jack Marcus's wingers, to get the Eichel line going at even strength. Reinhart has been decent but not his best self, maybe once he's at full go he gets that opportunity to drive a line, along with Marcus. 

Skinner would have to increase the production of line 1 to at least the same extent line 2 suffers by moving him off of it. Ideally, the top line starts scoring before that move happens. Or, if the move is made, Reinhart and Johansson have chemistry to the extent that whatever line 1 improves by is "found money". 

Doubt we see a change while the wins are still flowing. I'm also crossing my fingers that we remain healthy for when Montour gets back, I'm very intrigued by the idea of adding one more solid top 6 forward to the mix, allowing even greater flexibility there. 

I mostly see “driving a line” as being able to advance to puck up the ice, zone exits and entries.  Johansson has done more of that I think, while Skinner is more opportunistic, always in position to pounce of chances.  Everyone has their own definition for what “driving” is though, which is why I put it in “ “.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I mostly see “driving a line” as being able to advance to puck up the ice, zone exits and entries.  Johansson has done more of that I think, while Skinner is more opportunistic, always in position to pounce of chances.  Everyone has their own definition for what “driving” is though, which is why I put it in “ “.

It's a good reason why I think Reinhart would mesh well with Johansson, too. He can let Johansson handle the difficulties of transition, and has a strong knack for being that "in the right position" type player. 

I'd imagine a Skinner - Johansson - Reinhart line would be dynamite as a second line if VO starts clicking with Jack, and Risto or someone is moved for a capable winger, to join them. 

Edited by Thorny

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with all of this although I would probably say Eichel has been their best forward.  It’s close though, which is a good thing.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think one of the big reasons we lost so much last year is because only the top line scored.

I don’t think it’s wrong to be concerned about lack of ES scoring from the top line, but moving Jeff off the top line has had the net effect so far of giving us four lines that can score.

Didnt we just outscore the opposition 6-1 at even strength over the past two games?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.