Go get a House, Boys

Taro T

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bogosian simply isn't returning. They don't have the cap space for him and likely he will just stay on long term IR to finish out his days as a Sabre.

He’s actually on regular IR along with Montour, so his salary counts against the cap right now. If they need the space for a trade, I imagine he will be moved to LTIR at that time. 

97E10983-0667-4286-9F9D-2FF38C18D7D5.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bogosian simply isn't returning. They don't have the cap space for him and likely he will just stay on long term IR to finish out his days as a Sabre.

According to Capfreindly he never has been on LTIR, just IR.  Only Hunwick is on LTIR. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He’s actually on regular IR along with Montour, so his salary counts against the cap right now. If they need the space for a trade, I imagine he will be moved to LTIR at that time. 

97E10983-0667-4286-9F9D-2FF38C18D7D5.png

Why do we even try?

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cap space, barring any trades, isn't keeping him out of the lineup. He is not on LTIR but merely regular IR.  His contract is already counting against the cap and they aren't over the cap by more than the cap space they've gotten by putting Hunwick on LTIR.

That said, you may be right and he might have played his last game as a Sabre; but that's on his hip not his contract.

[Edit: didn't see the replies on this new page.  Sorry for 'piling on.']

Edited by Taro T

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Cap space, barring any trades, isn't keeping him out of the lineup. He is not on LTIR but merely regular IR.  His contract is already counting against the cap and they aren't over the cap by more than the cap space they've gotten by putting Hunwick on LTIR.

That said, you may be right and he might have played his last game as a Sabre; but that's on his hip not his contract.

[Edit: didn't see the replies on this new page.  Sorry for 'piling on.']

Oh wow...i thought Botts said he was putting Bogo on LTIR when he was interviewed on WGR before the season...

The best ability is always availability

• Like (+1) 1

It’s just an odd piece of information for the press to put out. It’s personal advice between a player (actually 2 in this case) and a GM. Besides the fly on the wall, that’s 2 personal conversations only 3 people who have access to. Of course, these players could’ve bragged to their friends or relatives, who spoke to the media, but I doubt it as this scenario would’ve had to happen twice and leaked. Sounds like nonsense and highlights the lack of accountability the press enjoys.  Botts would never leak this to potential trade partners. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

It’s just an odd piece of information for the press to put out. It’s personal advice between a player (actually 2 in this case) and a GM. Besides the fly on the wall, that’s 2 personal conversations only 3 people who have access to. Of course, these players could’ve bragged to their friends or relatives, who spoke to the media, but I doubt it as this scenario would’ve had to happen twice and leaked. Sounds like nonsense and highlights the lack of accountability the press enjoys.  Botts would never leak this to potential trade partners. 

Or, one or both told their agent who then related the info on to the HNiC guys as agents & talking heads have a very symbiotic relationship with each other.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, kas23 said:

And beyond that, it's incredibly early in the season.  We all hope both guys continue down the same path, but you can never guarantee it.  Many were saying the same thing about Pilut early last year and that derailed pretty quickly.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seeing as Montour is going to become a RFA soon maybe trading him makes more sense than trading Risto? Why mess with the chemistry of what's clearly working.

If you're taking into account their future status, we need to remember that Scandella will be a UFA at the end of year (Gilmour too, although that's not all that important).  If things continue down the path they're going so far, I'm thinking that we could see a prospect like Pilut or Borgen moved to add a significant forward near the deadline.  They'd have to play some money games as well, but there are options (cough, Bogosian, cough).

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seeing as Montour is going to become a RFA soon maybe trading him makes more sense than trading Risto? Why mess with the chemistry of what's clearly working.

The whole point of trading for Montour was to get someone on an RFA deal which gives the team more leverage. They aren't going to trade him because he's an RFA.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why?

Because the 6 going now are looking good and have good chemistry. Montour fell into disfavor in Anaheim because he wandered, got caught, and generally played poorly in his own end. He was a Housley fit, I'm not so sure he's a Krueger fit. I will be interested to see how he fits in to this system, but right now I dont' want to sit out any of the 6 playing.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Because the 6 going now are looking good and have good chemistry. Montour fell into disfavor in Anaheim because he wandered, got caught, and generally played poorly in his own end. He was a Housley fit, I'm not so sure he's a Krueger fit. I will be interested to see how he fits in to this system, but right now I dont' want to sit out any of the 6 playing.

I wouldn’t discount trading anyone, but a Team Canada level defenceman we paid a very high price for is not likely to be moved 20 games after being acquired.

Montour isn’t here because he’s a Housley fit, he’s here because he’s a Botterill fit.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn’t discount trading anyone, but a Team Canada level defenceman we paid a very high price for is not likely to be moved 20 games after being acquired.

Montour isn’t here because he’s a Housley fit, he’s here because he’s a Botterill fit.

Not everyone on Team Canada was a superstar, just saying. Betterill vs. Krueger? Hard to say what that's like, but I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't talk and Botterill didn't make adjustments to his plans as things unfold. Botterill hired Krueger, presumably he knew what to expect. 

I'm not looking to give Montour away, just not sure who I want out of the line up when he returns. You? I mean you can easily send Joker down, but not sure that's what you want to do to a young guy playing really well. Montour in for Risto? We are not as good if we do that imo. So Miller? He's played really well too. Shift somebody to the other side? I suppose you see how it looks in practice, but I'm a big believer in team chemistry, and you don't fix what ain't broke. 

Best thing that could happen to us is a MINOR injury to one of them when Montour is ready and then we see how he fits in to this system in a few games and go from there.

Edited by PerreaultForever

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They're not trading Montour, that's absurd.

They'll send Jokiharju down and put Bogo on LTIR when Montour is healthy.

They don't need to put Bogosian on LTIR when Montour gets healthy as they are both counting against and under the cap.

IF Jokiharju is the guy taken out of the lineup when Montour is ready, agree he'll get sent to Ra-cha-cha.  But based on what's been said on HNIC and in the Athletic about Henri being up for the duration, and also my own (hopefully unfounded) fears that upper management is more concerned with development than results this season, would expect Scandella (1st guess) or Miller to be bumped by Montour's return.  (And honestly, not sure which of the 3 I'd sit when Montour is back, but he was their best D-man down the stretch and seemed to have chemistry with Dahlin, so 1 of them goes if all are healthy.)

Scandella is the only pending UFA in the group , it would not surprise me if he is the one who is moved for that reason. 

He will not bring the return that Risto would however. 

Also Montour can go to Rochester on a conditioning assignment, which would buy the Sabres more time to make a decision 

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Isn’t it so nice having some real defensive depth for the first time in 20 years? 

D depth was the Achilles Heal of the post lock-out teams. Jbot has made sure that isn’t the case this year.  Once  (if?) Bogo, Montour and Pilut get healthy this team will actually be about 12 NHL capable D deep.

Current Top 6 - Dahlin, Miller, Risto, McCabe, Scandy, and Joker

Injured 3 - Bogo, Montour and Pilut

Depth - Gilmour, Nelson, Borgen

As you said, we haven’t had this much depth in 20 years, maybe ever.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.