GDT: Florida at Buffalo Sabres, October 11th, 7pm ET, MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I wouldn't downplay this victory.

Florida is an excellent team with an outstanding goaltender.  Their record is not indicative of where they will end up  by years end.  They are putting on a ton of pressure and are getting a ton of shots and from what I saw, they are getting a lot of good shot opportunities.  The Sabres held on there, but they did win it.

They've got a long way to go, but so far they are finding ways to win which is great.  I agree that this is a regulation win but for the broken stick and the uncalled penalty on Barkov. 

Mittlestadt needs to learn to play in the crowd.  He's got great hands and great vision.  I also think he's the kind of player that will benefit from having a linemate that draws attention away from him.  It's a great choice to use him in the shootout.

Agree. We can’t complain about 4-0-1.  I think the game day coaching is better with RK.  He shortened the bench in the 3rd, we still did not get the result we wanted but I think if Larsson has a stick we clear that puck and win in regulation.  

I was happy to see Dahlin and Mitts get ice time in the 3v3 and they responded.  

In the last games 2 games we looked  more like last years pre-Thanksgiving streak team than we did in the first 2 games.  But yet there is a maturity now that I did not sense last year.  I think perhaps guys like Johansson and Miller bring in a calm and an expectation to win that we have lacked.    

I am concerned about all the minutes Risto gets as history shows he mentally wears out by January.    Montour will be back and so will Bogo (I think).  

We have much more NHL level depth at defense so I expect a trade to acquire a top 6 forward, hopefully with speed, grit, and some experience on a winning team.  Maybe we don’t have to trade Risto to get there?  

Edited by Pimlach

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

That’s the problem after the first third of the season Risto wears down from all these minutes 

This is probably correct.

But there is a part of me that wonders if rather than the minutes, Risto actually wears down from all the losing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Really glad to see the Girgs Larry KO line get some points. They work hard every game and have built some chemistry. Larry showed he has some decent hands, Girgs knows how to use his body, KO has the playmaking ability. They are defensively responsible and physical. 

Individually they might be replaceable in terms of dollars and skills. However I don’t know if you can replace what they are capable of together. It’s like a Mega Zord from Power Rangers. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

And that Zemgus song by OLAS. 

This one?

2 hours ago, jsb said:

HCRK shortens the bench at the end of the game and it appears he takes out the young guys not because they're playing bad but I don't think he trusts them yet to finish it off for him.

Agree.  Sometimes this is what "put players in a position to succeed" looks like.  And when he decides to/has to go with his younger players in that situation, they won't take it for granted. 

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

In the last games 2 games we looked  more like last years pre-Thanksgiving streak team than we did in the first 2 games.  But yet there is a maturity now that I did not sense last year.  I think perhaps guys like Johansson and Miller bring in a calm and an expectation to win that we have lacked.    

Not to mention all the guys who were here are now a year older and have been through that winning streak and the subsequent fade.  I don't think they will take winning for granted and will work hard to stop any losing streaks.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

But there is a part of me that wonders if rather than the minutes, Risto actually wears down from all the losing.

Wouldn't that be grand, eh?

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

We've got chemistry here

Dammit man, my beer just shot through my nostrils right on to my wife's, um, putting it mildly, torso lol

No bull man, I just watched it and that happened. I'm still laughing my *** off, even she is laughing at this.

You folks on here are the best, just...…..the best, thank you for this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Not picking on LTS, but this line is soooooo 10-game-winning-streak-last-year.  I may have even said something like that myself.

Unfortunately, the existence of the streak from last year informs how we view this start to the season.

Not sure when it will cease to be "too good to be true".  After 11 games? Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  

One thing is for sure: our PP will not stay this white hot forever, and when that goes down, our winning % should drop a bit too.

Still enjoying it though.

For the most part, effort has been very good and constant with only a few break downs.

If Ralph can keep that going, we should keep things interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Unfortunately, the existence of the streak from last year informs how we view this start to the season.

Not sure when it will cease to be "too good to be true".  After 11 games? Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  

One thing is for sure: our PP will not stay this white hot forever, and when that goes down, our winning % should drop a bit too.

Still enjoying it though.

For the most part, effort has been very good and constant with only a few break downs.

If Ralph can keep that going, we should keep things interesting.

They're shooting at 13% right now.  Last season they finished at 8%.    

It's such a tight league... drop that shooting% from 13 to 10% and thats probably the difference between a winning and losing record right now.

They'll need to play better than these last two games to stay in the hunt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.