GDT: Florida at Buffalo Sabres, October 11th, 7pm ET, MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The real test of this theory occurs when Montour returns.  With a defensive liability like Miller and a rookie in Joker, Risto remains our best option at RHD.  When RK gets a better option (read Montour) I suspect Risto PT decreases to 22 or less.

Dahlin and most of the Sabres need to get back to what Larsson and Co do ever shift; K.I.S.S.

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with all this although I don’t think Miller is a defensive liability.  He seems quite smooth and skilled with zone exits.  

Was gonna say, wouldn’t consider Miller a D liability. Nonetheless, one would indeed hope the return of Montour would do exactly what @GASabresIUFAN said. 

Jokiharju has been better than Risto, though, albeit with fewer minutes, so I really really hope he’s not sent down 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I have seen Dahlin struggle a few times of course, and not have a very good game in last two, but I think he has only been on the ice for two or maybe three goals in five games. I think it was zero in first three, two in fourth, and none tonight. And has seven points. I understand he’s messed up a bunch of times but if that is messing up, we dominate. 

Only one goal against at evens 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Yeah the world is full of 20 year olds who've already played a season in the NHL, scoring 12 goals, were picked number 8 in the draft, starred at the WJC, have tremendous hands and skills. But, yeah you're right, why be patient, because in you opinion he sucks! Take a hike you sound ignorant.

Well, your toyboy still sucks so theres that. 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The real test of this theory occurs when Montour returns.  With a defensive liability like Miller and a rookie in Joker, Risto remains our best option at RHD.  When RK gets a better option (read Montour) I suspect Risto PT decreases to 22 or less.

Dahlin and most of the Sabres need to get back to what Larsson and Co do ever shift; K.I.S.S.

I don’t think Miller is any more of a defensive liability than Ristolainen, and Jokiharju is not a rookie.

Just caught up. So nothing really to add. Except: Z, Larry and Okposo!?! Holy smokes these guys play well together. Was I the only one a bit choked when KO was announced as one of the stars of the game? 

Goaltenders are looking solid. New coach must have some fairy dust! 

And last, caption this:

IMG_20191012_125123_407.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, steveoath said:

Just caught up. So nothing really to add. Except: Z, Larry and Okposo!?! Holy smokes these guys play well together. Was I the only one a bit choked when KO was announced as one of the stars of the game? 

And last, caption this:

I loved watching that in real time. Z and Larry have been through so much together.  Rochester, tank teams, now finally success. That line is a treat to watch. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think Miller is any more of a defensive liability than Ristolainen, and Jokiharju is not a rookie.

Miller is a +4, he's not a defensive liability at all to be honest. And Jokiharju looked real good last night from what myself and the family saw at the game. Me thinks he won't see Rochester this year if the play keeps up, so that puts the following in the Sabres RHD pool:

Risto, Miller, Montour, Bogosain, Jokiharju, Borgen, Nelson, Fitzgerald.

I'm looking at 5 NHL ready and seasoned RHD's here. Something has to give as Montour and Bogo come back from injury.

Hell, the LHD situation looks decently depthed as well.

Dahlin, Scandella, McCabe, Gilmour, Pilut, Hickey, Bryson

Should be enough depth to ride the season here.

With Bogo and Scandella's contracts up at the end of the year I don't see either one being brought back, plus Risto as potential trade, that is roughly 14.5 mil off the books, plenty of cap to re-sign Montour, Reinhart and Dahlin as well as bring in a top 6 RW'er at 6 or 7 mil.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think we all need to be honest with ourselves at this point:  we're now at about a hundred Sabres coaches, including RK, whom everyone loves, that have decided to play Risto this much.

I said something similar yesterday in another thread. 

That was a fun game.

The LOG line was great to watch once again. I think Kyle looked a lot like this last year, but now he has line mates that can match his play. It’s a blast to watch.

If Risto made that play off the glass that McCabe made to try and clear the puck with a minute left, this board would have literally exploded (and by literally, I mean figuratively.) That tying goal is on him.

Samson made a play at 12:15 in the second that showed just how good he is and nobody notices. It’s such a subtle play that is absolutely awesome to watch. He holds the puck in the corner while getting peppered by the defenseman, and when Jack comes in the puck just squirts out to his stick and they get a great scoring chance. It looks like a nothing play by him, but we’ve seen it to many times to think it’s a fluke.

Great game by the two whipping boys, Scandinella and Sobotka.

Even though he played well, I though both goals were kinda soft by Ullmark. That first one reminded me Willie Mays Hayes coming up short on his slide in Major League.

I like hockey.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, steveoath said:

And last, caption this:

“We told them he already had one, those crazy English knigits.”

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't downplay this victory.

Florida is an excellent team with an outstanding goaltender.  Their record is not indicative of where they will end up  by years end.  They are putting on a ton of pressure and are getting a ton of shots and from what I saw, they are getting a lot of good shot opportunities.  The Sabres held on there, but they did win it.

They've got a long way to go, but so far they are finding ways to win which is great.  I agree that this is a regulation win but for the broken stick and the uncalled penalty on Barkov. 

Mittlestadt needs to learn to play in the crowd.  He's got great hands and great vision.  I also think he's the kind of player that will benefit from having a linemate that draws attention away from him.  It's a great choice to use him in the shootout.

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How is Miller a defensive liability? He is literally an even +/- player over his entire career...that doesn't even make sense. At worst he is neutral in terms of defensive zone and that makes him a lot better option than Risto's career -143

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How is Miller a defensive liability? He is literally an even +/- player over his entire career...that doesn't even make sense. At worst he is neutral in terms of defensive zone and that makes him a lot better option than Risto's career -143

Yeah I think some are watching a different team than me :p

• Like (+1) 1

My takes: 

1. Good game, I thought we out played them except for the last 10 minutes or so. Larry doesn't break his stick we win in regulation
  2. The defense both on the back end and team defense is much improved over last year
  3. I don't understand the Risto hate for that matter the Vlad or Vesey hate either
  4. HCRK shortens the bench at the end of the game and it appears he takes out the young guys not because they're playing bad but I don't think he trusts them yet to finish it off for him. Mitts, Goalofsson, now ERod and a bit surprised by Dahlin although he didn't play great, it's a great locker room move, no-one is untouchable
  5. The GLO, LOG, GOL line, whatever we want to call it has without doubt answered the bell to start the season, so glad these guys getting some love
  6. For all the angst with Vesey's defense when he was acquired, he's getting PK time and doesn't sit to finish off games and I think he's doing his role. He looks more noticeable when playing with the Jack-Sam line 
  7. 4-0-1 to start the season against some of the teams we'll be battling for a possible playoff spot, SWEET
  8. That Barkov line is a beast
  9. Those SO goals by Jack and Mitts were so good to end the game. Bobs had no chance with either.
Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.