Rasmus Dahlin has been awesome at everything except...

matter2003

Getting his shot through to the net.  In fact, for players with 10 or more attempted shots, Dahlin ranks dead last in the NHL at Thru%, the percentage of shots that he takes that make it on net at 10%.  Dahlin has taken 20 shots and with a thru percentage of 10%, that means only 2 of them have made it on net, and one of them was his partial breakaway goal against Pittsburgh, so that means only 1 of his other 19 shots have gotten through, which is simply abysmal.  In terms of players with 20+ shots, the next worst is Jake Muzzin at 25%.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an all-world talent, but he HAS to get better at getting his shots through to the net, especially since he is on the top PP unit. Hopefully this is something they can work with him on, oftentimes it just looks like he tries to take the shot regardless of where the opposing player is, and doesn't try and alter either his shot or his positioning to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

Edited by matter2003

I wonder if this partially due to teams being especially aware of him on the ice and him not having the experience yet with how to work around that. I know for one that if I was an NHL head coach I'd have a game plan to protect primarily against Skinner, Dahlin, and Eichel. He's only 19 and this along with his being susceptible to taking penalties and prone to being caught up in the emotion of the moment are his two biggest areas in need of improvement. 

I've been noticing that he seems to take alot of physical attention lately in the form of checks and just being hounded in general. I wonder if it's causing him to be less patient...

Not picking on this post, because it is relevant and interesting.

But I think we need to hold back on making too many conclusions based on a four game sample size.

Just a general observation.

Jimmy Vesey, the power play, Marcus Johansson, Kyle Okposo - these things so far are more likely outliers than proof of what’s to come.

Jack went from disappointing after three games to elite after four.

Sam Reinhart has been “lousy” in his past two games and is off to his best statistical start ever.

Risto is “better” with fewer points and a similar Corsi.

It’s a long season.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the weakness in the power play right now is if teams leave Dahlin open at the top of the triangle and force him to be the shooter.  he's doing very well distributing but his shot from long range leaves much to be desired at this point.  If I had to play the Sabres right now that's what I would do.  Squat on the shooters as much as I can, try to control Reinhart's stick and let Dahlin shoot as much as he wants but DON'T allow him to act like a pivot.

He's not supposed to shoot from there. He is supposed to draw out the high defender, pass it off to Eichel or Olofsson and then because he drew the high defender to him, it allows Eichel or Olofsson to make the cross ice pass and shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

On the pp Dahlin is not shooting to score when he does shoot. The primary job of his pp shot is to get a deflection or to cause chaos in front with a rebound. 

In todays NHL if a team thinks that the point shot is its best chance to score on the PP, that's living in the past. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Getting his shot through to the net.  In fact, for players with 10 or more attempted shots, Dahlin ranks dead last in the NHL at Thru%, the percentage of shots that he takes that make it on net at 10%.  Dahlin has taken 20 shots and with a thru percentage of 10%, that means only 2 of them have made it on net, and one of them was his partial breakaway goal against Pittsburgh, so that means only 1 of his other 19 shots have gotten through, which is simply abysmal.  In terms of players with 20+ shots, the next worst is Jake Muzzin at 25%.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an all-world talent, but he HAS to get better at getting his shots through to the net, especially since he is on the top PP unit. Hopefully this is something they can work with him on, oftentimes it just looks like he tries to take the shot regardless of where the opposing player is, and doesn't try and alter either his shot or his positioning to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

My question about the stat is are we talking that he has attempted 20 shots and 18 have been blocked, in which case he needs to work on it. Or are we saying he took 20 shots and only 2 were on net in which case there is a combination of blocked and ? is he aiming for the net, for deflections, to get it behind the net? When we say only 1 of his 19 has gotten through what does that mean? 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

On the pp Dahlin is not shooting to score when he does shoot. The primary job of his pp shot is to get a deflection or to cause chaos in front with a rebound. 

In todays NHL if a team thinks that the point shot is its best chance to score on the PP, that's living in the past. 

My question about the stat is are we talking that he has attempted 20 shots and 18 have been blocked, in which case he needs to work on it. Or are we saying he took 20 shots and only 2 were on net in which case there is a combination of blocked and ? is he aiming for the net, for deflections, to get it behind the net? When we say only 1 of his 19 has gotten through what does that mean? 

Are you questioning the ability of a "fancy stat" to tell the whole story? LOL....just kidding, I think. I have a way of doing that (thinking) and my TB4om % is at an all time low right now.

FYI.... TB4om is Thinking B4 opening mouth.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

17 were blocked, 1 was missed.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the weakness in the power play right now is if teams leave Dahlin open at the top of the triangle and force him to be the shooter.  he's doing very well distributing but his shot from long range leaves much to be desired at this point.  If I had to play the Sabres right now that's what I would do.  Squat on the shooters as much as I can, try to control Reinhart's stick and let Dahlin shoot as much as he wants but DON'T allow him to act like a pivot.

If that's the case he can advance into the slot to create a tighter 3-2 situation.  With his edges and agility there won't be many PK forwards who will be able to close from wide coverage and take away his lane down the middle.  Either walk in and snipe or wait for a killing Dman to engage and pass to the player they abandon to defend him. 

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This would be the poison I would choose. I want him shooting over eichel or olofsson

It’ll be interesting to see how teams play it if we continue the success. I could see opponents trying a high diamond and forcing Sam and Skinner to win down low.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This would be the poison I would choose. I want him shooting over eichel or olofsson

Really? Unless I'm misunderstanding... Jack and VO have much better shots

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’ll be interesting to see how teams play it if we continue the success. I could see opponents trying a high diamond and forcing Sam and Skinner to win down low.

That's the beauty of our PP. We can win every aspect of it.

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You are misunderstanding me. If I were DEFENDING I would rather have Dahlin shoot than either Eichel or Olofsson. Even if that meant Dahlin could walk into the slot almost unopposed.

Interesting and may work until Dahlin finds his confidence... he has shown in the past he can score from high slot

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

As long as we are able to control the puck entering the zone this should be a top unit

This is another reason our PP works. Dahlin, Reinhart, Miller and Johansson are all good at this, and Eichel might be the best in the league.

On paper it is a very complete 1st unit, with a good 2nd unit.

They should be good, but it's crazy how deadly they've been. I'm curious to see what other teams start doing to stop them, because they will.

14 minutes ago, Chevyvanmiller said:

The best thing about Dahlin is his intense desire to be the best. I am sure that he is acutely aware of his deficiency in getting pucks through to the net and works feverously on it during practice.

By the end of the season I expect him to have transformed it into a strength.

There was a story about how Miller has become a mentor to Dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Admittedly, it's not a great solution and the PP has a chance to be quite excellent, but from seeing how they have set it up so far that is what I would try to make them do.  I'm certainly not allowing Eichel and Olofsson to camp in the circles and fire pucks at my goalie and I'm not letting Reinhart stand alone in front.  It will be interesting to see if people stop playing a traditional box PK against us and try a 1-3 or a diamond.  You'd still have an open man floating around somewhere but you'd have more sticks and bodies to interfere with the one timers and still have a man to harass Dahlin at the top of the triangle as well as block shots.  Np matter what I'd expect that we will see some creativity in trying to stop us soon because it's clear that the circles can't be left open a-tall.  The diamond would invite the Thomas Vanek-esque camper in the middle of the ice so you;d have to decide if you'd rather have Skinner there doing that or something else.  A 1-3 is a little intriguing.

I can't wait to watch other teams give all sorts of "looks" to try to shut our PP down, and us owning every single one of them in a different way ?

I can't remember ever being so excited for a Sabres PP

Edited by erickompositör72

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.