Risto Under Ralph Krueger

WildCard

That story of the significant other going to talk to Krueger is what really got me on board. How it all went down is so evocative to me, at least how I imagine it. The player comes out of the meeting, the girlfriend or wife has been waiting in a nearby coffeeshop, the player is all emotional and tells her how he's feeling at that moment and what the coach said, she gets up to run after Krueger, the player calling after her not to do it!, she catches up with him, in tears, and tells him how much what he said to her boyfriend/husband meant to him, Krueger softly kisses her forehead...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Who the hell is this guy, and why should I care? What does this add to my view of the games I've watched?

Well, the stats show his play has declined. It may not add anything to your view of the games you've watched if you are watching the same games I am. The stats seem reflective of the eye test, to me. 

9 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Who the hell is this guy, and why should I care? What does this add to my view of the games I've watched?

He is the editor/writer for a popular Sabres fan blog site.  DieByTheBlade, their SB Nation site.

You can take from the charts what you want I guess.  It’s just Risto’s CF%, xGF%, and TOI for the games do far this season.  On a game by game basis, they don’t mean much.  It’s pretty early still.

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well, the stats show his play has declined. It may not add anything to your view of the games you've watched if you are watching the same games I am. The stats seem reflective of the eye test, to me. 

I don't think his play has declined at all. I played, and coached hockey at a pretty high level. To my eyes the guy is a horse, and as a real world hockey player, he and McCabe as a pair are hard to play against. The Sabres are playing well so far this season, I would hope a losing performance last night would not have the effect of causing too much doom and gloom.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I don't think his play has declined at all. I played, and coached hockey at a pretty high level. To my eyes the guy is a horse, and as a real world hockey player, he and McCabe as a pair are hard to play against. The Sabres are playing well so far this season, I would hope a losing performance last night would not have the effect of causing too much doom and gloom.

/thread

• Like (+1) 1

I think all professional scouts are better than the numbers.

The issue is that professional scouts can't watch the thousands and thousands of hockey games to get all-encompassing views of every player out there, and so numbers become useful to look at to help increase the amount of information an organization has at their disposal.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Risto is the same player he's always been.   Physical, some offensive ability, but poor awareness and decision making in his own end.    

That said, all young defenseman struggle in their own end, but it's the lack of improvement in that area over the past 4 seasons that is a major red flag and for me.   He has enough experience that he should've cleaned up that oart of his game, but he still makes way too many rookie type mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the numbers "cloud" someone's view, they don't understand the numbers. 

No its that they're biased just like anything or anyone else, and don't respect the other variables enough. Some people are biased towards numbers, others toward scouting. On this site it's usually the numbers.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

24 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

No its that they're biased just like anything or anyone else, and don't respect the other variables enough. Some people are biased towards numbers, others toward scouting. On this site it's usually the numbers.

Numbers should support what you see and you should see what the numbers support. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Numbers should support what you see and you should see what the numbers support. 

In an ideal world, this would be true. The frustrating thing for me is that the numbers don't tell us everything, because there are not numbers for every single aspect of the game. Then, those who rely so heavily on the numbers often only see what the numbers are telling them, ignoring all the other aspects of the game that there are no numbers for.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, Thorny said:

the sample size is way too small to draw any conclusions. Are we really going to conclude anything based on a trend of the last 3 games? A good comparator would be to look at other Sabre’s D during this same period. My guess they haven’t been playing well either over the last 3 game stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.