Risto Under Ralph Krueger

WildCard

I think he’s been our best defenceman overall so far this season.

It’s not the first time we’ve been able to say that, but it might be the first time the competition has been worth talking about,.

And here’s hoping it’s something we can still say in February and March when he has typically fallen off a cliff.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think he’s been our best defenceman overall so far this season.

It’s not the first time we’ve been able to say that, but it might be the first time the competition has been worth talking about,.

And here’s hoping it’s something we can still say in February and March when he has typically fallen off a cliff.

I still say his annual nose dive is directly related to the team's lack of something meaningful to play for by that point.

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Weave said:

I still say his annual nose dive is directly related to the team's lack of something meaningful to play for by that point.

Yup, I just think he was always the first guy with the f*ck its and didn't care, when the season went south and was unrecoverable.

Edited by Ross Rhea

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Image result for Man Running into Door gif

Reminds me more of this.

Looks like ur gif is from that Good Time movie by the Safdie Brothers. Such a underrated gem imo.

But can you imagine if Risto had broken the glass on that ghost hit? He would've been on every sports bloopers highlight reel from now til eternity. He's lucky it didnt happen haha

Edited by In The Buff

11 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

Looks like ur gif is from that Good Time movie by the Safdie Brothers. Such a underrated gem imo.

But can you imagine if Risto had broken the glass on that ghost hit? He would've been on every sports bloopers highlight reel from now til eternity. He's lucky it didnt happen haha

I'm SURE he's getting a ton of crap from his teammates.  I wouldn't be surprised if RFK didn't start the next day's film session with that.  We've all had those moments and all you can do is laugh at yourself.  When I played, I'm glad there were few if any cameras.  I've tripped over a Blue Line or two back in the day and then skated to the bench to see all my teammates laughing at me.  You tell them to F Off and they laugh even harder.  God, I miss those days.

• Like (+1) 1

Can't quantify the second and third level effects of physical play. People who've played know what it's like to get knocked around by a guy like that. Risto was a beast last night when is was imperative against a team with the likes of Wilson and Ovie. People who want him gone or don't value him, be careful what you wish for. Personally, he reminds me of Ivan Drago. LOL

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Can't quantify the second and third level effects of physical play. People who've played know what it's like to get knocked around by a guy like that. Risto was a beast last night when is was imperative against a team with the likes of Wilson and Ovie. People who want him gone or don't value him, be careful what you wish for. Personally, he reminds me of Ivan Drago. LOL

I'll admit it, I wanted him gone.   

However, he has shown significant improvement this season in his own end and I'd consider keeping him now.

• Like (+1) 5

On 12/23/2019 at 8:12 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Has Risto gone from must trade to must keep?

Not "must" but I'd be reluctant to let him go. Personally, I want more size and physicality on D not less. 

What i really like right now is set pairings. I hated the way Housley always moved them around and then Kreuger went to that (as well as rotating extras) and it is a disaster. D men need to develop chemistry and quick communication with a partner to be really effective. If Montour is going to be part of the equation as a mobile offensively oriented guy I like him paired with a solid big body like Risto that focuses more on D than O.  Over time it could be a fairly effective pairing. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Risto wont re sign in Buffalo when UFA. Too much stink he’s endured he will want elsewhere even if we’re winning. Trade him for an RFA

This is starting to become a thing. Two years to UFA for him?

Prime time for a trade.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the GDT, but I believe it was on the Caps game tying goal.  You could just see OV had another gear going... could sense that if he fore checked hard enough they were going to score.  Risto had the puck along the boards and OV made a play on him to keep it in the zone.  

In that moment I thought "that right there is the difference between Risto being just a good D-man, and not an elite one.  He's never going to be elite.  I think we all know this.  But he had to get that puck out of there.   The Caps cycled it around another 15 seconds and boom tie game.  Like almost everyone for the right deal he is 100 percent expendable.  

Am I remembering this sequence right I'm 99.9 percent sure it was Risto with a chance to get it out but essentially OV slapped him and said I'll take that from here thank you very much.   

IMHO, they need to give up one of the 3 veteran RHD to get the 2C they desperately need.  And at the end of last season definitely didn't want to lose Ristolainen.  Early this year after Miller and Jokiharju were brought in would've been shocked to see him stay beyond the trade deadline.  Am glad he's still here, but am going back to leaning to wanting him the D-man traded out.  For 1 simple reason, there doesn't seem to be a single D-man on this team that picks his game up playing with Risto but several look bad playing with him.  Who do you pair him with? Rasmus^2 doesn't work.  They tried to see if maybe him on the left and Montour right would work better than the eh having them flipped works.  It was only 1 game, but that was no better.  Everybody hates Risto & McCabe.  Pilut & Risto seems to work, but Larry can't play top pairing, so not really.

At present, he's ARGUABLY the best D.  Trade him for the best interests of all involved parties.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 12:55 AM, Taro T said:

IMHO, they need to give up one of the 3 veteran RHD to get the 2C they desperately need.  And at the end of last season definitely didn't want to lose Ristolainen.  Early this year after Miller and Jokiharju were brought in would've been shocked to see him stay beyond the trade deadline.  Am glad he's still here, but am going back to leaning to wanting him the D-man traded out.  For 1 simple reason, there doesn't seem to be a single D-man on this team that picks his game up playing with Risto but several look bad playing with him.  Who do you pair him with? Rasmus^2 doesn't work.  They tried to see if maybe him on the left and Montour right would work better than the eh having them flipped works.  It was only 1 game, but that was no better.  Everybody hates Risto & McCabe.  Pilut & Risto seems to work, but Larry can't play top pairing, so not really.

At present, he's ARGUABLY the best D.  Trade him for the best interests of all involved parties.

Is anyone paying attention to his metrics? They absolutely tanked as the season went on. He's the same old Risto. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.