Risto Under Ralph Krueger

WildCard

I'll be curious how minutes might get distributed when Montour is back.  I think with the other pairings have young D on them it's leaning towards a bit of sheltering.  I have missed a few games.. but I'll say this.

they are competing and winning so I'm happy at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ... said:

Risto looks like Risto.  I think the only thing I have seen less of from him, but not by much, is errant dump-ins. outs

FIFY...

I will say if/when they make the playoffs, they'll want a big physical Dman along with McCabe to put a little fear in the little/fast/forward group.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

Jeremy/Howard on WGR mentioned a few possible ideas of why he's still getting so many minutes

1) Showcasing him: they dismissed this because really he already has such a large body of work there's no need for this

2) See how he does with Krueger: load him up early and see what Krueger can do/thinks of him and see if he's worth keeping

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Jeremy/Howard on WGR mentioned a few possible ideas of why he's still getting so many minutes

1) Showcasing him: they dismissed this because really he already has such a large body of work there's no need for this

2) See how he does with Krueger: load him up early and see what Krueger can do/thinks of him and see if he's worth keeping

2 makes the most sense if Krueger is the type of person we think. He wants data before he makes a decision. 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He seems to be playing more within himself than in the past. I don't notice nearly as many (and sometimes no) low hockey IQ gaffes. The proverbial "he was trying to do too much" may apply.

Yup. It's what I'm seeing so far. And I think it helps that McCabe just seems to be a good hockey player to pair with him. I don't know if I like Risto with anyone else on his left.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bg17 said:

Every coach Risto has played for has seen fit to play him big minutes. Does Risto actually suck? 

It’s a great question. Offense is always good. He’s physical and skates very well for big man.  I know early in his career we had no one else, and despite acquisitions of Bogo, Scandella, Kulikov and others he remained the man.  Now we have Dahlin, McCabe, Miller, and Joker yet Risto is still eating big minutes.  I don’t get it either.  Maybe our lack of Montour is showing.  

He made similar mistakes last night that he always makes that resulted in two goals.  Overall he does seem defensively more sound but 3 games is a tiny sample size.  It will be interesting to see his minutes when Montour returns.  Until then I think HCRK believes Risto is our top LHD option over the defensively challenged Miller (who I don’t like) and the rookie Joker. 

When Montour returns I’d like to see Montour, Risto and Joker as our top 3 LHD.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He seems to be playing more within himself than in the past. I don't notice nearly as many (and sometimes no) low hockey IQ gaffes. The proverbial "he was trying to do too much" may apply.

I thought Risto committed a major gaffe on Montreal's 2nd goal -- although he was contested by a Hab, Risto didn't push hard enough to get the puck out along the wall and it ended up on Armia's stick for an easy PPG.  (Good for Armia, btw, getting 2 goals and an assist in his return to Buffalo and coming very close to a natural hattie.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.