Sign in to follow this  
Let's Go B-Lo

Need some NYC driving advice...

I have to drive to Marlborough, MA from the Southwest suburbs of Philly next Thursday afternoon/night for a hockey tournament.  This essentially requires me to go through NYC or to go 100 miles out of my way.  2 questions, what is generally the least awful way to go about doing this and am I better off waiting to leave here at like 6pm to hit NYC at 8pm rather than leaving at 4pm to hit NYC at 6pm.  My gut says NYC at 6 on a weeknight is bad juju. I can't leave any earlier than 3pm and that gets me to NYC at 5pm which just screams bad idea.

I've looked at Google Maps and played around with the future leave time feature but it pretty much gives me the same 5-7 hour drive time no matter what.  I'd much rather have a 5 hour drive to arrive at 11pm than a 7 hour drive to also arrive at 11pm but if NY is still going to be crap at 8pm then it's not worth it to leave later.  The other problem with leaving later is if there is night construction that i don't know about so local knowledge would be appreciated.

Full disclosure, North Jersey and NYC give me hives so I am dreading even having to go through that part of the world to get where I am going but flying or taking the train end up being way too expensive.

Generic .... download the free waze app.  it takes traffic actuals, traffic history, speeds, accidents, etc. into consideration.

I get in my car, check waze, and follow its advice.   I go different routes to the same destination, day to day ...

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah i'd say leaving later to avoid the coming home traffic would be the best idea. But what Neo suggested would probably be helpful. I've never used that app before but i havent driven thru NYC in years so knowing current conditions/trends would help you out a lot i imagine. Sounds like that app is just what you're looking for.

Have fun!

I would leave as late as you can stand, plus use Waze. 

If you hit NYC after 7PM you should be ok.  I work in lower Manhattan and take a bus home at 5:30PM and I wouldn't wish my commute on my worst enemy.  By 8PM traffic on the NJ turnpike should be light.  I'd imagine using Waze you'll end up taking the GWB which will get you to the turnpike.  It's not bad as long as you don't get lost in the Bronx.  

You shouldn't need to drive through Manhattan to get to mass. If you go nj turnpike, you will need to go over  gwb and go through ct. 

The gwb will be ok if it's not rush hour but you wont actually be in the city, more just around it. It's been a few years but basically you dont exit into the city after the bridge. I think it's still 95 there. Once you get to ct it will be much worse. Everyone does exactly the speed limit or slower in the middle lane for the entire state.

I once got to the bridge coming from mass to nj at 5pm. It took 1 hour to get over the bridge 

Edited by miles

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Generic .... download the free waze app.  it takes traffic actuals, traffic history, speeds, accidents, etc. into consideration.

I get in my car, check waze, and follow its advice.   I go different routes to the same destination, day to day ...

I use Waze fairly often.  My results have been mixed.  Thanks.

I used go drive Boston to Philly often and would take 95 North to the Palisades and then the Tappan Zee back to 95 then to 495 north to Marlborough.

Waze is great for speed traps and traffic, definitely use it.  I've not gotten tickets becuz of it.

2 hours ago, miles said:

You shouldn't need to drive through Manhattan to get to mass. If you go nj turnpike, you will need to go over  gwb and go through ct. 

The gwb will be ok if it's not rush hour but you wont actually be in the city, more just around it. It's been a few years but basically you dont exit into the city after the bridge. I think it's still 95 there. Once you get to ct it will be much worse. Everyone does exactly the speed limit or slower in the middle lane for the entire state.

I once got to the bridge coming from mass to nj at 5pm. It took 1 hour to get over the bridge 

Got to the gwb at 230pm in April. The second we hit the bridge everyone had to go no 2 very bad. It took 45 mins to get across

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I have to drive to Marlborough, MA from the Southwest suburbs of Philly next Thursday afternoon/night for a hockey tournament.  This essentially requires me to go through NYC or to go 100 miles out of my way.  2 questions, what is generally the least awful way to go about doing this and am I better off waiting to leave here at like 6pm to hit NYC at 8pm rather than leaving at 4pm to hit NYC at 6pm.  My gut says NYC at 6 on a weeknight is bad juju. I can't leave any earlier than 3pm and that gets me to NYC at 5pm which just screams bad idea.

I've looked at Google Maps and played around with the future leave time feature but it pretty much gives me the same 5-7 hour drive time no matter what.  I'd much rather have a 5 hour drive to arrive at 11pm than a 7 hour drive to also arrive at 11pm but if NY is still going to be crap at 8pm then it's not worth it to leave later.  The other problem with leaving later is if there is night construction that i don't know about so local knowledge would be appreciated.

Full disclosure, North Jersey and NYC give me hives so I am dreading even having to go through that part of the world to get where I am going but flying or taking the train end up being way too expensive.

You can bypass much of that heartburn by crossing the Tappen Zee and taking i-287 down to i-87 west. That'll bring you into Allenstown where you can take 476 into King Of Prussia, then on to whatever west Philly suburb you are going to. As for your question, the later in the evening the better to be on the NJ Tpk.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LouBrawls said:

I used go drive Boston to Philly often and would take 95 North to the Palisades and then the Tappan Zee back to 95 then to 495 north to Marlborough.

Waze is great for speed traps and traffic, definitely use it.  I've not gotten tickets becuz of it.

Is 95 better than jumping up to 84?  I feel like one of those general rules in life is 95 is terrible and is to be avoided if possible.

Waze will be helpful, but one of my overall problems is that at least 1 fundamental decision needs to be made in my driveway.  I'm either going into NJ to go up the Tpk to a set of options, or I am going up the NE Extension to Allentown to a different set of options.  Going through Allentown is at least 50 miles further no matter what and going through Jersey (no matter what other option I end up taking to get through or past NYC) has the POTENTIAL to be faster.  Both fundamental choices have major risk because the NE Extension isn't exactly a peach either and once you are on it you are locked in for miles at a time. The Jersey Tpk is the Jersey Tpk and can either be fine, or a hellacious nightmare of Biblical proportions.  I'm more likely to get jacked up in Philly on either 202, the E-W Turnpike or the NE Extension going through Allentown but I'm more likely to run into NYC related issues going through Jersey.

I appreciate all the points of view.  This will probably end up as me putting it in Waze in my phone and into the GPS of the car and then flipping a coin. 🙂

Edited by Let's Go B-Lo
  • Like (+1) 1

Later is always better, but the NJ TPK is hit or miss, ya never know.  I never bothered with 84 because once you clear Stanford it's fine. I just drove the NE extension last week mid-day and even with construction zones it was fine.

I once made it from Canton Ma to the Philly Airport in under 5 hours going 95/GWB from 7am to noon on a weekday. Rare day with zero issues.

1 hour ago, LouBrawls said:

I just drove the NE extension last week mid-day and even with construction zones it was fine.

I drove to Allentown around evening rush time on a Thursday a couple weeks ago and it took me almost 3 hours which is about twice as long as it should. 1 minor accident and you are locked in and f'd. 

I would also recommend avoiding rt 95 (cross bronx expressway) and the GW bridge. If you can take the tappan zee instead, it's a better bet. Even when the cross bronx isn't completely stuck, it's  very narrow and people drive insane (and there are lots of trucks).

...unless you're like me, and find that kind of driving cathartic 😜

Just don't drive in NYC...that's the best advice...I flew into LaGuardia at 11PM once and it looked like rush hour traffic getting to my hotel.

21 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It depends on timing, advice take gw bridge to west side highway north turns into sawmill pkwy, take sawmill to 287 east back to 95.  Do not take cross bronx expwy for any reason.  Other option take 1-9 north exit right before gwb, take up to Tappanzee/Mario Cuomo bridge. Puts you on 287 back to 95.  If headed To Bastan you can take 684 to 84 to Bastan and completely avoid 95

Edited by North Buffalo

I once had a trip to Boston from nj which should have been 5 hours. I sat in ct for 4 hours not moving more than 3mph. It ended up being an accident on the other side of the highway. I have never seen a traffic jam so bad for an accident on opposite side. It really can be hit or miss. Using GPS with live traffic updates is the way to go over anything 

Waze did right by me last night. No major traffic. Ended up using the jersey turnpike, gwb, cross bronx, and 95 for awhile but around Bridgeport it swung me north on something up to CT15 and I ended up getting over to 91 and 84 up to 90. 5 hours 30 minutes with 3 quick stops. Can't complain.