GDT: Montreal at Buffalo Sabres Oct.9th, 7pm ET, MSG-RSN and WGR 550

jsb

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I feel like the only guys in the organization that wouldn't be hugely out of place on that line besides Kyle are Vlad and Lazar. Just a guess though.

I'm not sure it's his longterm future, but I could see Tage on that line.  If he didn't have to worry about scoring and spent the time learning how to use his body to his advantage, it could be good for his development.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm not sure it's his longterm future, but I could see Tage on that line.  If he didn't have to worry about scoring and spent the time learning how to use his body to his advantage, it could be good for his development.

Asplund or Lazar

Better off waiting for Tage to take over a higher roster spot, providing he develops well and earns it.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'd have to see how it worked this year, I'm pretty sure he blew up that line's effectiveness last year.

Edit: in their brief time together, Larry/Zemgus's metrics got worse, but they weren't BAD as a line. So I'd be willing to try that out.

However, if Tage got called up, I'd probably first try him on the Mojo or Casey line.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

I think it’s pretty evident that the Sabres WANT Tage to be their missing scoring line RW and that Sobotka is essentially a placeholder because they don’t think Tage is ready.

I also don’t see the Sabres moving Risto for a scoring line winger until they decide a) they have a defender who can effectively take over Risto’s role, b) they determine Tage won’t be ready this year, and c) they determine how good this team is and what kind of difference such a move will make in where they finish.

Like it or not, Botterill has a long-term plan to be a 10-year contender during the Eichel-Dahlin window and all his moves are made in concert with that plan.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s pretty evident that the Sabres WANT Tage to be their missing scoring line RW and that Sobotka is essentially a placeholder because they don’t think Tage is ready.

I also don’t see the Sabres moving Risto for a scoring line winger until they decide a) they have a defender who can effectively take over Risto’s role, b) they determine Tage won’t be ready this year, and c) they determine how good this team is and what kind of difference such a move will make in where they finish.

Like it or not, Botterill has a long-term plan to be a 10-year contender during the Eichel-Dahlin window and all his moves are made in concert with that plan.

Do you think point a is satisfied in their minds by Montour? 

I have to think that, if they were willing to move Risto in the summer, and he asked for it, Jason would still like Montour enough to be lining up a trade.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have to think that, if they were willing to move Risto in the summer, and he asked for it, Jason would still like Montour enough to be lining up a trade.

I agree, but you gotta think Jason would want to see how Montour returns from His injury and how he fits in with Ralph - not to mention how Ralph has altered Jason’s feelings about Risto - before he makes any moves. 

And winning hockey gives him that luxury.

Just now, dudacek said:

I agree, but you gotta think Jason would want to see how Montour returns from His injury and how he fits in with Ralph - not to mention how Ralph has altered Jason’s feelings about Risto - before he makes any moves. 

And winning hockey gives him that luxury.

Are you talking about Ralph's coaching altering Risto's play, or a hypothetical discussion in which Ralph asked for time to work with Risto?

If just the former, I would hope that after last season Jason wouldn't let 4 games of anything change his mind about anything. But I assume you mean a little of both.

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm starting to doubt they were, he took calls but he never moved him.   The price was high for a reason.    

• SDS unpinned this topic

I watched the OT goal a few times and, while the Sabres have been playing very well (mostly), they are also getting some puck luck bounces going their way.

Jack's shot bounced off the Montreal guy's stick and went right to our guy who made a great pass to that other guy (the Swedish guy) there and he made the great one time shot that no goalie could have stopped.  Just like that they stopped the game, cus the Sabres won.

Without the puck luck bounce there would not have been the great pass and then the great shot and who knows what might have happened.

55 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Are you talking about Ralph's coaching altering Risto's play, or a hypothetical discussion in which Ralph asked for time to work with Risto?

If just the former, I would hope that after last season Jason wouldn't let 4 games of anything change his mind about anything. But I assume you mean a little of both.

I was mostly talking about my belief that Risto’s poor play in the second half of last year and the impression that he has asked, or at least hinted, for a trade are an outgrowth of bad morale created by six years of nothing but losing.

I think Jason was convinced -for reasons that have never been made clear - that he had to trade O’Reilly. I don’t believe that he has reached that point with Risto and he is curious as to what effect Ralph might have.

So if the team is winning and Risto is happy and contributing, the only incentive to trade him is a slam-dunk offer.

Its not a case of changing his mind, it’s a case of letting the situation play out.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Like it or not, Botterill has a long-term plan to have a job for 10 years through a slow rebuild be a 10-year contender during the Eichel-Dahlin window and all his moves are made in concert with that plan.

ftfy.?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Like it or not, Botterill has a long-term plan to be a 10-year contender

As much as I want WINZ NOW, this is actually what I want to see- long term success.  If you bank everything on a one or two year plan and you don't succeed, that's that.  We saw that 12 years ago.  I'd rather see the Sabres knocking on the Cup's door year after year, increasing their chances of busting through it one or more times.

37 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I watched the OT goal a few times and, while the Sabres have been playing very well (mostly), they are also getting some puck luck bounces going their way.

Jack's shot bounced off the Montreal guy's stick and went right to our guy who made a great pass to that other guy (the Swedish guy) there and he made the great one time shot that no goalie could have stopped.  Just like that they stopped the game, cus the Sabres won.

Without the puck luck bounce there would not have been the great pass and then the great shot and who knows what might have happened.

Eh, and we had our share of bounces that went against us, like the one off Risto's stick from behind the goal.  It evens out.

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

- VO is a gift from heaven.

I've always kind of questioned the Sabres ability to develop any player (this goes back to Tyler Myers days of regressing after his rookie season).  But VO might be the poster boy in player development.  I know he played alot of years back home but I'm sure Sabres staff were in constant contact and had a say in his development also.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

100% as it should be.  Thing is, I think that 10 year window is opening now (if not it has to be next year with Eichel already playing in his 5th season now).