• Danny Briere
    • Miro Satan
    • Chris Drury
    • Stu Barnes
    • Derek Roy
    • Sam Reinhart
    • Other

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hawerchuck never had less than 86 points in his 4 full season years with the Sabres.  And that was with being Malkin to whichever guy (typically the 3rd best Sabre of all time per your voters) was Buffalo's version of Crosby.

Considering management considered him more valuable than the guy currently polling in the lead as the 5th best Sabre, to not even include him in the discussion is a mistake IMHO.   (And whatever you do, don't let Ducky know about this slight. ? ).

Not even going to go into a discussion about how strange it is that that other guy who was a Sabres D-man in the '80's can poll ahead of the best Sabres D-man of the '80's.  (Hint, the best one of the '80's won a Gold Medal in Lake Placid.)

Hawerchuk was a great player and an excellent player for us, but he was here a relatively short-time and this wasn't his best work.  I agree he is under appreciated, but he isn't a top 10 Sabres of all time.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hawerchuck never had less than 86 points in his 4 full season years with the Sabres.  And that was with being Malkin to whichever guy (typically the 3rd best Sabre of all time per your voters) was Buffalo's version of Crosby.

Considering management considered him more valuable than the guy currently polling in the lead as the 5th best Sabre, to not even include him in the discussion is a mistake IMHO.   (And whatever you do, don't let Ducky know about this slight. ? ).

Not even going to go into a discussion about how strange it is that that other guy who was a Sabres D-man in the '80's can poll ahead of the best Sabres D-man of the '80's.  (Hint, the best one of the '80's won a Gold Medal in Lake Placid.)

If points are going to factor so heavily into the discussion, and of course they would, we should put a bit of emphasis on what the scoring of the era in question is. Hawerchuk had more points (89) in his first season as a Sabre than Jack has had in a season during his career to date, but Hawerchuk was 23rd in points per game, league wide that year. Eichel finished 11th overall in a season he started at age 19. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, dudacek said:

Dom is the best player ever to wear a Sabre uniform, but that’s not the question here: commitment to the jersey means as much as skill. The only answer is Gilbert.

Yeah, I would agree with that.

I think #11 has to be considered the greatest Sabre of all time.

Dom is second.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, mphs mike said:

I love Patty, but I'll always think of him as an Isle first

I think I would as well, but that doesn't diminish his rank within Sabres history.

He's still on the short list of best players to ever wear a Sabres sweater.

Mogilny looks to have built a substantial lead as the 5th best Sabres.  I completely disagree.  To place him in front of former captain and two time 50 goal scorer Gare, and our two best D in Ramsey and Housley seems premature.  

That said, if he who Sabrespace wants, he is who we shall get.  

However there is currently a dead heat between Gare and Andreychuk for 6th with Mike Ramsey only one Vote behind.  I plan to close these polls early Thursday.  If these three are still with a vote or two, I will do a run-off.

I know many did not see him play, but Craig Ramsay and his 14 year career as a Sabre is being undervalued in this poll. Great checking forward, fixture on the PK, Selke award winner,  8 straight 20 goal seasons.

Maybe my allegiance to the 70's teams have clouded my judgement, but he was a really good player for a very long time...and he played his entire career with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I know many did not see him play, but Craig Ramsay and his 14 year career as a Sabre is being undervalued in this poll. Great checking forward, fixture on the PK, Selke award winner,  8 straight 20 goal seasons.

Maybe my allegiance to the 70's teams have clouded my judgement, but he was a really good player for a very long time...and he played his entire career with the Sabres.

He should definitely be in our top 10

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

10-15 at worst. He was Bob Gainey before Bob Gainey.

When I look at the potential list after our top 4, the next guys Gare, Mogilny, Housley, Ramsey, Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Andreychuk, Robert and Ryan Miller are the next group in some order.  

After that I think you have Luce, Hawerchuk, Turgeon, Hajt, Mike Foligno, Korab, Eichel, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Satan, and maybe Edwards, Zhitnik, Pommers, Ruff, Peca and Barasso in some order.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

When I look at the potential list after our top 4, the next guys Gare, Mogilny, Housley, Ramsey, Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Andreychuk, Robert and Ryan Miller are the next group in some order.  

After that I think you have Luce, Hawerchuk, Turgeon, Hart, Mike Foligno, Korab, Eichel, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Satan, and maybe Edwards, Zhitnik, Pommers, Ruff, Peca and Barasso in some order.

OK, I’m drawing a complete blank. Who is Hart?

And yes, Ruff does not belong in that group.

Gare and Mogilny received 12 votes each between the two polls.  I'm going to do a run-off between those two for 5 & 6.  The winner is 5th and the loser 6th.

After these two, I think I'm going to do 4 or 5 at a time and allow people to vote for as many as they want and then after 4 days or so, the 4 or 5 players with the most votes will the next group on our list. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yup.  Ahead of C Rammer, Luce, and  Robert.

No, their impact on the team wasn’t even close to Rammer, Luce and Robert.  I’d say their impact was even less then Foligno, Briere, Drury, Korab and maybe even Eichel, but I’d be happy to add them as choices.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Along with many other factors, longevity has to play a big role in forming a list such as this, and this is why there is no way Lala deserves to have his jersey retired, and ranked #3 on this list, despite only playing basically the equivalent of 3-1/2 years as a Sabre..and in no way am I disrespecting him, those were some exciting seasons while he wore the blue and gold.

Sneaky Pete and Ducky aren't much different(except for lesser impact than Lala) in that they were only Sabres for roughly ~4 seasons.

I'm assuming this poll is about the time spent as a player only while wearing the blue and gold, and not their entire careers?

Edited by LabattBlue

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Along with many other factors, longevity has to play a big role in forming a list such as this, and this is why there is no way Lala deserves to have his jersey retired, and ranked #3 on this list, despite only playing basically the equivalent of 3-1/2 years as a Sabre..and in no way am I disrespecting him, those were some exciting seasons while he wore the blue and gold.

Sneaky Pete and Ducky aren't much different(except for lesser impact than Lala) in that they were only Sabres for roughly ~4 seasons.

I'm assuming this poll is about the time spent as a player only while wearing the blue and gold, and not their entire careers?

Best Sabres.  Hawerchuk was a solid Sabre and a HOFer overall but his best work was in WPG.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Best Sabres.  Hawerchuk was a solid Sabre and a HOFer overall but his best work was in WPG.  

First, I meant batch after the players you mentioned above.

Second, it seems there are different standards for everyone. Turgeon and Hawerchuk were great Sabre’s and were here longer then a lot of players they are being put behind.

I picked Gare for 5th.  I think Mogilny is too high at 6.  I agree that both Mike and Craig Ramsey are underrated.   

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hawerchuk, Turgeon, Eichel, Briere, Drury, Zhitnik, Bodger and others seem to be in the next level.

Hawerchuck - Great player, Did well for us but next tier due to time in grade. 

Turgeon - great numbers, never a fan favorite or difference maker 

Eichel - could be top 3 some day 

Drury/Briere - Not enough time in grade for top 10. 

Zhitnik/ Bodger -  on the all time very good, not great list 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.