GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus, Oct. 7th 7pm ET MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I have to listen to it again, but Ralph was talking about Jack's play and he was sure to mention it was at three on three. Maybe he's like me and gives players a bit of a pass.

I agree and might add 2 things...

1) Ralph didn't give Jack "a bit of a pass", instead he owned it. he said he probably sent Jack out there too soon on another shift.

2) maybe Jack screwed up a bit, but Foligno also made a good play. Every play is not gonna go in your favor for 82 games in a pro league.

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Surprised Kyle got no love in this thread. Worked his ass off with none of that carry-the-puck-til-he-loses-it crap that typified his game last year. Once he got the puck he moved it, or shot it. His has been the most consistent line so far this year.

Vesey has not done much at all, but I’ve been watching his game for signs of the defensive black hole he’s supposed to be and not seeing it yet. He’s no shutdown winger, but I’m not seeing bad decisions, or laziness without the puck. Definitely early and it seems like he’s being sheltered. Be nice though if he actually created some scoring chances.

Johansson actually looks like a real 2nd line player, instead of a reasonable facsimile.

Vesey is slow.  He can't keep up with Mitts and Sheary.  On the PK he can't close the gap like Girgs and Larry do which leads to extended D zone time.  He also turns his back to the defenseman on the wall and gets pushed off the puck or loses possession when they pinch. He and Vlad are negatives due to the fact that do not bring anything positive to those they play with.  It is almost like playing shorthanded.

16 minutes ago, 3putt said:

Vesey is slow.  He can't keep up with Mitts and Sheary On the PK he can't close the gap like Girgs and Larry do which leads to extended D zone time.  He also turns his back to the defenseman on the wall and gets pushed off the puck or loses possession when they pinch. He and Vlad are negatives due to the fact that do not bring anything positive to those they play with.  It is almost like playing shorthanded.

Why is he here?   A real oddball move from JBOT this summer. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So you are talking about strength not size. 

Mitts we know needs to add strength. Joki, I missed whatever you are referring to. Sheary actually played a decent game in my mind. The way they forechecked caused problems for sure. 

Sure, but the reason those boys are so strong is because of their large frames that have a lot of mass haha

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The only thing I can think of is more depth.  But why he is on the roster when others would be more effective (ERod, Tage, Asplund) is kind of a puzzle.

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

A track record of scoring even strength goals added to a team that lacked that element at a low cost.

Also, while I agree with the bulk of @3putt‘s post above, Vesey actually has very good straight-ahead speed and has shown it in times like his breakaway goal in pre-season. However, I haven’t seen him use it to play with pace.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, 3putt said:

Vesey is slow.  He can't keep up with Mitts and Sheary.  On the PK he can't close the gap like Girgs and Larry do which leads to extended D zone time.  He also turns his back to the defenseman on the wall and gets pushed off the puck or loses possession when they pinch. He and Vlad are negatives due to the fact that do not bring anything positive to those they play with.  It is almost like playing shorthanded.

Vesey was not only slow last night, but I feel like everytime i saw him, he was just lumbering up the boards, not getting into the coners and rarely put himself in a postition for a shot. I don't think I saw him in front of the net once

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The only thing I can think of is more depth.  But why he is on the roster when others would be more effective (ERod, Tage, Asplund) is kind of a puzzle.

There has to be more to Vesey than we are seeing right now, IMO. He doesn't look anything like a 17g scorer, so just maybe there's more that needs to be brought out some how.

6 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

Vesey was not only slow last night, but I feel like everytime i saw him, he was just lumbering up the boards, not getting into the coners and rarely put himself in a postition for a shot. I don't think I saw him in front of the net once

Vesey was the only noticeably bad player I noticed in the game. That’s a huge compliment to Sobotka and Okposo as they used to always be in that department. 

He lost all his puck battles and kept coughing up breakout attempts that went through him. It appeared because he was being lazy. 

We have enough depth I hope his laziness is rewarded with a benching. We have no room for that on a deep roster. 

Gee whiz guys, we've played 3 games, have 5 out of 6 points accumulated and we're in 1st place. Can we calm down the "our guys suck" routine for at least a little bit. This isn't the 2013-14 Sabres. If we were the 0-3 Sharks and Stars, I'd get it but we're not. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Gee whiz guys, we've played 3 games, have 5 out of 6 points accumulated and we're in 1st place. Can we calm down the "our guys suck" routine for at least a little bit. This isn't the 2013-14 Sabres. If we were the 0-3 Sharks and Stars, I'd get it but we're not. 

This.

Way too soon to be saying "time to put ERod in for Vesey"

RKrug (there's a new one ? ) has seen something in him, and he deserves more than 3 games to make it happen. Let them continue their chemistry development. That line has scored goals!

Same goes for Sobotka. That line has potential. Let them really gel and see what they can do.

10 hours ago, jsb said:

there's nothing wrong with making observations from the game. Vesey was awful in the Columbus game, that's why it's being talked about it the Columbus game thread. If someone starts a "Vesey is terrible" thread, then yeah, i would say that's a little over the top because it's so early.