GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus, Oct. 7th 7pm ET MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

29 minutes ago, repster said:

With the Leafs loss, the Sabres are now in first place in the Atlantic.  

Brings back the good memories of last fall.

The Habs have three days rest to our one day for the Wednesday game, and the Panthers have two days off to our one day for the Friday game.

Let’s hope the Key Bank Center fans can give the boys the extra energy they might need.  

I should have my voice back for the Friday game after losing it at the crazy opener!

I think we play 13 games in first 26 days of the season.

Surprised Kyle got no love in this thread. Worked his ass off with none of that carry-the-puck-til-he-loses-it crap that typified his game last year. Once he got the puck he moved it, or shot it. His has been the most consistent line so far this year.

Vesey has not done much at all, but I’ve been watching his game for signs of the defensive black hole he’s supposed to be and not seeing it yet. He’s no shutdown winger, but I’m not seeing bad decisions, or laziness without the puck. Definitely early and it seems like he’s being sheltered. Be nice though if he actually created some scoring chances.

Johansson actually looks like a real 2nd line player, instead of a reasonable facsimile.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

We stole a point while playing less badly than the teams we beat. Could be worse. 

My hatred for these charts knows no bounds.

That was a fun game.

In the first , they looked like they were thinking to much (ie. playing scared). That period was the difference.

Jack needed more rest in that OT before he came back out. That's on Head Coach Ralph Krueger.

Okoposo was flying out there tonight.

CBJs are a bunch of ***** divers, eh?

His OT gaff aside (which I've already blamed on Head Coach Ralph Krueger), Jack is something special to watch.

I like hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That Eichel play was reminiscent of the own goal he scored in SJ last season.   Just way to casual in his own end, not enough respect for possession.    

Hopefully Krueger can keep him from beating himself up too much about it, but man that was inexcusable by the captain.

Johanson, Skinner, Dahlin in the OT owned the puck and played like they'd practiced as a threesome. Jack screwed up, simple as that.

Team started flat imo and CBJ were desperate for a first win while some of our guys I think, had read too much of their own press and failed to realize you have to come to play every night in this league. It will be interesting to see if Kreuger can teach them that sooner than later.

Power play stayed good, but I didn't think the top line was any good 5 on 5. Johanson's line played well, as did the Larson line. Mitts line was invisible.

As for the continued Sobodka hate, I would suggest if anyone should come out of the line up, it should be Vesey first. 

My wife pointed out to me that Skinner's goal was in part due to that figure skating stuff. His ability to turn around as quickly as he did is a rare skill.

Stole a point imo, nothing to get upset about, but we will have to be much better to beat Montreal. 

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Surprised Kyle got no love in this thread. Worked his ass off with none of that carry-the-puck-til-he-loses-it crap that typified his game last year. Once he got the puck he moved it, or shot it. His has been the most consistent line so far this year.

Agree fully. Kreuger seems to have him playing along the wall more and he is more suited to that. If you want to number the lines, I think they are 3 and not 4 at this point and ice team should go with that. 

Didnt get to watch the game last night, was so fkn tired from work. 

Been looking at the recap and seams other than the 2nd goal Linus Ullmark was playing well.
Victor keeps producing for us, makes me happy, unfortunatly a loss though and that sucks, knew jackets would come hard, just sucks that we could not end it in overtime.

56 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Didnt get to watch the game last night, was so fkn tired from work. 

Been looking at the recap and seams other than the 2nd goal Linus Ullmark was playing well.
Victor keeps producing for us, makes me happy, unfortunatly a loss though and that sucks, knew jackets would come hard, just sucks that we could not end it in overtime.

Ah all good mate, we got one of the best starts in years, hope we can keep it up.

I liked that despite going down 2 and being outshot all game we still came out with a point. I think Columbus plays a more physical game than either Pittsburgh or NJ. I worry that the new system doesn't match up well against those kinds of teams.

But it's 3 games in, and we've got 5 points, so hopefully they learn from this and do better next time. My biggest concern is how they react from being behind in a game or after a loss. Or worse a string of losses.

Last year's team didn't not recover well from losing. That can't happen anymore. So hopefully Wenesday night goes more like the first 2 games.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Vesey has not done much at all, but I’ve been watching his game for signs of the defensive black hole he’s supposed to be and not seeing it yet. He’s no shutdown winger, but I’m not seeing bad decisions, or laziness without the puck. Definitely early and it seems like he’s being sheltered. Be nice though if he actually created some scoring chances.

Johansson actually looks like a real 2nd line player, instead of a reasonable facsimile.

I’m liking Johansson at 2C so far.  He fits.  Looks more dynamic than Mitts at center.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

I live about an hour from C-bus and will be there with two of my friends. Only issue is that the Sabres are 0-5 in the games I have attended. Hopefully that changes tonight. I was very skeptical going into this season but the amazing start has me tingling a little bit

Aaaaand of course, they just can't win a friggin game in Columbus for me...again.

Few thoughts from ice level.

• Jackets were pretty amped especially after starting 0-2 and getting thumped by the Pens 
  • I wouldn't say the Sabres were terrbile in the 1st as much as I'd say that the Jackets were just playing good hockey
  • Ullmark faced a lot of shots and looked pretty sharp
  • Dahlin took a few bad penalties that cost us, though one was a pretty solid Premiere League dive
  • Eichel wasn't super sharp but not bad either, except his giveaway in OT right in front of me
  • Mojo's play was a pleasant surprise (i didnt get to see the 1st two games), he was one of the few skating hard every shift
  • Larsson Girgs KO were aight, they definitely get too much time on the ice
  • Vesey is worthless, will likely be a fan whipping boy soon. Sheary and Mittelstadt were always hustling but Vesey was slow an not interested the whole night
  • Olofsson seems to have 'it' he's strong on the puck, knows where to go to get a scoring chance, had the PPG goal late to tie it, kid could have over 30 this year
  • Jackets goal song is awful but the cannon is pretty cool
  • there was an 8 year old kid trash talking the sabres and yelling all night, screaming at the refs...it was hilarious
  • there were tickets selling in the upper bowl corners for $7...my double vodka 7-UP set me back $22
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

That Eichel play was reminiscent of the own goal he scored in SJ last season.   Just way to casual in his own end, not enough respect for possession.    

Hopefully Krueger can keep him from beating himself up too much about it, but man that was inexcusable by the captain.

I have to listen to it again, but Ralph was talking about Jack's play and he was sure to mention it was at three on three. Maybe he's like me and gives players a bit of a pass.

My takes:

• Johansson plays like a seasoned pro, very nice pickup for the team
  • Olafsson does have a pretty shot, needs seasoning in the rest of his game
  • We don't play well against tough, physical teams and didn't yesterday
  • Girgs-Larry-Okposo isn't our 4th line, it's our 3rd and it may be our most consistently good line
  • Sheary didn't look happy having to sit as much as he did because of the play of Mitts and Vesey, this line needs the most work
  • Linus played well, Risto and McCabe not so well, should have been more noticeable with the physical play of CBJ
  • We are in 1st place in the division with the Leafs loss yesterday, lets see how this plays out
  • Montreal plays a fast paced game, this next game should be fun
  • Give the team credit for one thing, it didn't fold and hide, picked up a point it didn't really deserve
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Bad way to end but at least they played the whole game. Passes weren't as crisp as the first couple games but got better as the game went on to some degree.

Ice sucked in the 1st, the puck died in empty space multiple times.

They are bigger thus our players had more trouble playing against their forecheck.

Eichel needed to shoot not pass in the OT. He tried to sucker Foligno in during OT but Risto had already left and in that split second Foligno took advantage of Eichel's lack of an easy out.

Goaloffsson is just a great asset.

Johansson is as well.

Mitts was nigh-invisable except making one great D play in the 3rd.

I disproved this earlier. Buffalo is on average 1lb heavier and 1 inch shorter than that team. You are correct about the forecheck giving us trouble. 

I really enjoyed the last 2 periods of play. The first was reminiscent of last season. 

It was a fun game to watch, even without the win. Ullmark is one of my favorite guys on the team and he played quite well I think. Obviously you cant give up 4 and expect to win but he made some nice saves.  

I mentioned in a different thread, the Sabres historically did bad after losses. I'm hoping that they can put this behind them and play like they did in the first 2 games 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kyle Okposo was very noticeable last night actually being a useful player. He caused some havoc and was a bright spot in the fist while the rest of the team napped. 

Vesey hasn't impressed me much. He's there and isn't making mistakes but he also isn't doing anything noteworthy. 

I thought Sheary had a good game overall as did Larsson and Zemgus. 

I know Sob played but barely remember seeing him. 

Overall it wasn't a great game. I think CBJ came out with far more energy and then the 2nd period seemed a more balanced affair. Finally about 10 minutes into the 3rd the Sabres team from games 1 and 2 appeared. I would like to see Krueger make adjustments to the lineup. Erod should be given a shot now that they had a stumble. Montreal is a winnable game IMPO. 

One last note, I thought Dahlin had a very up and down game. He showed his usual flash at times but he seemed off. The one penalty was a garbage call on him but that's the breaks. I hope he rebounds in the next game. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I disproved this earlier. Buffalo is on average 1lb heavier and 1 inch shorter than that team. You are correct about the forecheck giving us trouble. 

On average this is true, but the strength of several specific players, like Foligno, Jenner, Jones, and Dubois, derived from their size, tangibly affected the game in very visible ways, especially against guys like Sheary, Mitts, and Joki. 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

On average this is true, but the strength of several specific players, like Foligno, Jenner, Jones, and Dubois, derived from their size, tangibly affected the game in very visible ways, especially against guys like Sheary, Mitts, and Joki. 

So you are talking about strength not size. 

Mitts we know needs to add strength. Joki, I missed whatever you are referring to. Sheary actually played a decent game in my mind. The way they forechecked caused problems for sure.