GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus, Oct. 7th 7pm ET MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

Jack cannot be that soft on the puck, expectation in his own end, 3-3. Awful effort. Ullmark Gabe then the point. Big picture 5 out of 6 so can’t be too unhappy. But they had a chance to steal both points. A shame.

He knew it; he raised his left hand as soon as the goal went in to indicate that he knows it's on him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

No, I was at it and even discussed the goal with Don Luce about 15 years ago. It was definitely game three which was the deciding game. Was high in the oranges basically looking down between my feet. The old Aud went crazy.

Cool. Did you see the pic on the broadcast? Everyone's body language seemed to indicate it was a series-winner, but I imagine when Gare scored in OT the game before to stave off elimination it would have looked about the same.

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure Eichel didn't tell himself to get back on the ice after about a 40 second break.

And Eichel in hind sight should have gone to Olofsson, but he WAS trying to go back behind the net, likely to send it to Ristolainen, but when he went towards behind the net the puck didn't come with him.

Bad play, but at least they got the point.

Great point.  I thought the same thing when he came right back out.   Will be interesting to see how many Forwards see ice time in OT. Is it five or six?  

I thought it was a pretty good night for Ralph. It kind of went unmentioned, but it looked like the BJ might have used his hand to pass it to Foligno on the go-ahead goal. I'd bet anything Phil would have panicked and challenged it. Not our Ralph. And, yes, @Randall Flagg I did see Krueger out front of the players. As far as I'm concerned he should stay out there. Really give 'em something to talk about Head Coach Ralph Krueger!

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Another Krueger-ism to jot down: 5 forwards out with the pulley goaled. 

Careful now with the PA-isms. They tend to get banned on here.

9 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Great point.  I thought the same thing when he came right back out.   Will be interesting to see how many Forwards see ice time in OT. Is it five or six?  

In the postgame Ralph doubted himself a little and said he would take a look at that decision. He said maybe it was a few seconds too quick to put Jack back out. Ya think?!

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Cool. Did you see the pic on the broadcast? Everyone's body language seemed to indicate it was a series-winner, but I imagine when Gare scored in OT the game before to stave off elimination it would have looked about the same.

I did not see the pic. I was at the slaughterfest Saturday and they brought up Gare's hat trick in the last game of the year to make it to 50. Was at that game along with the Umberger 2OT game against the Flyers. Both places rocked. Horns were blasting until we made it to 190.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

In the postgame Ralph doubted himself a little and said he would take a look at that decision. He said maybe it was a few seconds too quick to put Jack back out. Ya think?!

Did they ask him about it specifically? Either way, cool that he's even talking about stuff like that.

Asplund's one of my favorite prospects. But the Larry line was the only one that could consistently handle the BJs' game tonight. I'm skeptical you can seamlessly slide Asplund into that spot now, or maybe ever, and get the same type of play, even if it's possible he's a better offensive player (we don't know that either). That's why I always spend the offseason fighting for our dear Larry 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Asplund's one of my favorite prospects. But the Larry line was the only one that could consistently handle the BJs' game tonight. I'm skeptical you can seamlessly slide Asplund into that spot now, or maybe ever, and get the same type of play, even if it's possible he's a better offensive player (we don't know that either). That's why I always spend the offseason fighting for our dear Larry 

I watched in the 3rd period as Larry went behind the net in the offensive zone, lose the puck, and that play directly led to the go ahead goal against Buffalo approx. a minute or just over later. I wouldn't call the Larry lines performance tonight "handling the BJ's game". That is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by Scottysabres

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I watched in the 3rd period as Larry went behind the net in the offensive zone, lose the puck, and that play directly led to the go ahead goal against Buffalo approx. a minute or just over later. I wouldn't call the Larry lines performance tonight "handling the BJ's game". That is a bit of a stretch.

If it was a minute later, then I think it's dubious connecting the two events. A lot of ***** like that happens in hockey. He wasn't even on the ice by the time the goal happened. They were the only line to consistently sustain offensive zone possession throughout the night, and that was reflected by the fact that they were the only line to have a positive shot attempt share (when they were on the ice, the Sabres had 73% of them, and no other Sabre line was above 50% - as much as I hate citing shot counts for single game performances)

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Game was blacked out here, but have caught highlights. How was Ullmarks play overall? 

Side note - Montreal game is blacked out also, that's 3 out the first 4 games unavailable in UK on the NHL app live. That sucks.

To my untrained eye, Ullmark looked very good. He faced a lot of tough shots.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t expect them to maintain this level of play. The Lightning don’t maintain this level of play.

The questions are: how often can they exhibit this level of play, how low are the drop-offs, and how long do they last?

Tonight is another interesting test. Columbus seems a lot like New Jersey: not terrible, not great, and traditionally a hard out for our boys. Just substitute their grind for the Devils’ speed.

So it’s still too early to see true patterns, but some general observations from the first signs of adversity.

• Torterella may have established the early template to counteract what we do: keep the game in the trenches and use your bodies to disrupt our quick passing game.
  • The Sabres didn’t hang their heads despite constantly being behind on the scoreboard and being pummelled physically.
  • More importantly, they continued to show they have enough skill to make their chances count as well as the type of power play that can make up for lacklustre play at even strength.
  • Our first goalie to face a barrage looked up to the task.

The next test is even more important: how do we rebound from a tough game? Habs provide yet another measuring stick: a structurally sound team with an excellent goalie.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

With the Leafs loss, the Sabres are now in first place in the Atlantic.  

Brings back the good memories of last fall.

The Habs have three days rest to our one day for the Wednesday game, and the Panthers have two days off to our one day for the Friday game.

Let’s hope the Key Bank Center fans can give the boys the extra energy they might need.  

I should have my voice back for the Friday game after losing it at the crazy opener!

Edited by repster
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If it was a minute later, then I think it's dubious connecting the two events. A lot of ***** like that happens in hockey. He wasn't even on the ice by the time the goal happened. They were the only line to consistently sustain offensive zone possession throughout the night, and that was reflected by the fact that they were the only line to have a positive shot attempt share (when they were on the ice, the Sabres had 73% of them, and no other Sabre line was above 50% - as much as I hate citing shot counts for single game performances)

Larsson was the only Sabres skater worth anything in the 1st period, and he was their best throughout the night. 

5 minutes ago, repster said:

With the Leafs loss, the Sabres are now in first place in the Atlantic.  

Brings back the good memories of last fall.

The Habs have three days rest to our one day for the Wednesday game, and the Panthers have two days off to our one day for the Friday game.

Let’s hope the Key Bank Center fans can give the boys the extra energy they might need.  

I should have my voice back for the Friday game after losing it at the crazy opener!

Since we don't have any back to backs in there...this is unscientific, but I feel like we have the advantage there. It often seems like teams are sharper on one day of rest than on more than that.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Columbus played a nice game. We didn’t respond to pressure too well and we coughed up the puck routinely when pressed. Honestly, it looked liked the first top games but with us on the receiving end. 

That Eichel play was reminiscent of the own goal he scored in SJ last season.   Just way to casual in his own end, not enough respect for possession.    

Hopefully Krueger can keep him from beating himself up too much about it, but man that was inexcusable by the captain.