GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus, Oct. 7th 7pm ET MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

I live in nj. Central nj, so I'm in flyers and devils territory. however I was wearing my Sabres shirt at the super market and 2 people came to talk to me about the Sabres. one was from buffalo 

The Sabres are making people talk...I just wish not to me, I'm really not friendly 

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

In my mind this is Kruger's first true test.  I would expect the team to be fired up for the first game of the season and the home opener.  This is a beatable opponent - it's on Ralph to make sure the boys come out flying after experiencing an early taste of success.  This is a game a playoff team wins.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

In my mind this is Kruger's first true test.  I would expect the team to be fired up for the first game of the season and the home opener.  This is a beatable opponent - it's on Ralph to make sure the boys come out flying after experiencing an early taste of success.  This is a game a playoff team wins.

I am curious to see if they can maintain the same consistent level of play as well.

The encouraging part is that the way they are playing seems repeatable.  The winning hasn't been the result of unusual circumstances or low odds events.  

They are getting scoring chances like crazy and playing good puck moving defense as a whole.

Just keep going as before and the goals should come.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Yep.  And, while it would be better to be beating Adam's division teams rather than those from the Patrick (simply because IMHO the Adams collectively (minus Ottawa) is better than the Patrick team by team (the Bolts are better than the Canes (last night not withstanding), the Bruins are better than  ___, etc. and it is more impressive to beat the teams in the Sabres division) the odds are high that if the Sabres make the dance, they'll do so as a WC so wins over these guys are just an meaningful 4 point games as those over the Habs or the Loafs.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t expect them to maintain this level of play. The Lightning don’t maintain this level of play.

The questions are: how often can they exhibit this level of play, how low are the drop-offs, and how long do they last?

Tonight is another interesting test. Columbus seems a lot like New Jersey: not terrible, not great, and traditionally a hard out for our boys. Just substitute their grind for the Devils’ speed.

• Like (+1) 1

Torts is gonna have CBJ fired up. Home game and things aren’t going their way so far. I’m just guessing but I expect them to try and lay the body on our forwards to slow them down. Sabres just need to battle through it. As cliche as it sounds they need to stick to their game. CBJ will take penalties out of frustration and our PP is really good right now. 

Hey, the old game day thread is locked. @sodbuster, consider yourself chili guaroed!

This hotel has a swim-up sushi bar. I am at peace with life. Thank the Maker! This hot spring is going to feel soooo good. Alas, another evening hot spring “tour” means I’ll miss the game. Keep on winning, I’ll stay in Costa Rica. In this case, superstition is ok in my book. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’m still confused about CBJ. On one hand they represent the blue jacket uniforms of the colonialists. On the other it’s a fictitious insect.

Not colonialists.  Civil War-era Union soldiers.

And the Sabres are represented by swords, by the Amercian bison, and by a cartoonish sabre-tooth cat.

I was listening to spitting chiclets on my car ride home and they said the CBJ’s looked bad in their game against the Pens.  I guess they started taking bad penalties/cheap shots once the score got out of hand.  Let’s hope the Sabres come out rolling and put them on their heels.  This is a very winnable game.

Go Sabres!

• Like (+1) 1