GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus, Oct. 7th 7pm ET MSG, ESPN+ and WGR550

jsb

image.png.28854df9b9c8b63e144897127a810cd9.png   VS.  image.png.5c11958fa1f93d00f975e76d8900c4e8.png  

Your Buffalo Sabres have not only surprised by winning its 1st 2 games but by playing a style of hockey not seen in these parts for quite some time. All 4 forward lines, all 6 defenders and the GK playing their part. A WOW moment, "Shout, LETS GO BUFFALO" being sung at the arena, fans into the game and a great time had by all with all the former Sabre players/celebrities at the game. Is it possible to win the first 3 games of the season?? Has Head Coach Ralph Krueger been accepted already?? Was Housley possibly the worst HC in Sabre history?? Can JBott save his job after the 1st 2 seasons in his tenure and the ROR trade?? All these things can hit the fast track with a victory in Ohio tonight. 

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

• Through two games, the Sabres have already gotten points from 14 different players this season. Rasmus Dahlin (1+3), Victor Olofsson (2+1) and Sam Reinhart (2+1) have each tallied at least a point in both of the team’s first two contests.
  • The Sabres are 1-0-1 in their last two road games against Columbus and have a chance to earn points in three straight visits for the first time in the all-time series between the teams

Info courtesy of https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com

STARTING OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT

• The Sabres are currently 2-0-0 to start a season for the first time since 2012-13. The team last started the season with at least three consecutive wins in 2008-09, when they won their first four contests and went unbeaten through the first eight (6-0-2).
  • Ralph Krueger has become the fourth Sabres head coach to earn wins in his first two games as the team’s head coach, joining Marcel Pronovost (Oct. 13-15, 1977), Scotty Bowman (Oct. 11-13, 1979) and Jim Roberts (Dec. 9-12, 1981).
  • No Sabres head coach has ever won each of his first three games with the team.

CONTROLLING THE PLAY

• Through six periods this season, the Sabres have yet to be outshot by an opponent in a single period, leading in five periods and tying once. They have held their opponents to fewer than 10 shots in four of those periods.
  • The Sabres have outshot their opponents 77-49 in total and by a 59-36 margin at even strength.
  • Buffalo entered play Sunday trailing only the Nashville Predators with a team SAT% of 60.0%, out-attempting their opponents 99-66 at even strength so far this season.
  • Each of Buffalo’s 18 skaters who have dressed through two games has an individual SAT% of at least 50 percent
  • Kyle Okposo’s team-leading SAT% of 77.14% ranked fifth in the league entering play Sunday and led all players with at least 11 minutes of ice time so far this season. Marco Scandella’s 74.51% SAT% ranked ninth in the league and led all defensemen with more than one game played.

PLAYING WITH POWER

• The Sabres entered play Sunday with the top-ranked power play in the league, converting on four of their six power plays through the first two games of the season (66.7%).
  • Entering Sunday’s games, Buffalo also led the league in shot generation rate with the man advantage, averaging 3.49 shots per two minutes of power-play time.
  • According to NaturalStatTrick.com, the Sabres are one of two teams who have averaged more than five shot attempts per two minutes of power-play time so far this season.

LET’S GET DANGEROUS

• According to NaturalStatTrick.com, the Sabres led the league entering play Sunday with a high-danger scoring chance percentage of 76.0%, out-chancing their opponents 19-6 in high-danger situations at 5-on-5 through the team’s first two games.*
  • By this metric, Jeff Skinner leads all Sabres with three high-danger scoring chances during 5-on-5 play. Skinner tied for ninth in the league with 94 high-danger scoring chances last season.
  • Five other players have recorded more than one high-danger scoring chance through the team’s two games: Jack EichelCasey MittelstadtVictor OlofssonRasmus Ristolainen and Vladimir Sobotka.

Continuing the 50th Anniversary IMO the greatest Left Wingers in Sabres History: All stats are Sabre records:

image.png.107bba9e257a433f6f0a8ffdf5a11792.png

Rick Martin: 10th in games played, 2nd in goals, 6th in assists, 3rd in points, 2nd in even strength goals, 3rd in power play goals, 2nd in game winning goals, 2nd in shots, 1st in hat tricks, 2nd in goals per game

image.png.51d8a50d54d1e7c2cab5673fae9aee4e.png

Dave Andreychuk: 6th in games played, 3rd in goals, 2nd in assists, 2nd in points, 4th in even strength goals, 1st in power play goals, 5th in game winning goals, 3rd in shots, 5th in hat tricks, 5th in goals per game

image.png.13dd0d1ceb79992ae457e06468184642.png

Craig Ramsay: 3rd in games played, 6th in goals, 3rd in assists, 4th in points, 1st in +/-, 3rd in even strength goals, 1st in short handed goals, tied 8th in game winning goals, 9th in shots, 

image.png.26cab6de2fe47f88f4cf20b264b3c41e.png

Thomas Vanek: 5th in goals, 10th in goals created, 10th in even strength goals, 4th in power play goals, 4th in game winning goals, 8th in shots, 6th in hat tricks, 

image.png.210e73d599e0a721abeb2de81498645b.png

Miroslav Satan: 8th in goals, 6th in power play goals, 3rd in short handed goals, 7th in game winning goals, 7th in hat tricks, avg. 64 points in 7 of 8 seasons with Sabres

image.png.5c0e3f23f5bd3ce6f852104c24779cda.png          LETS GO BUFFALO

Edited by jsb
Attach website
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10/10 GDT. Well done! 

I'll be there tonight, so feel free to blame me if things go south. But I don't think they will. Columbus is a mess, particularly in goal. 

40 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Every game for this team is a test right now. Columbus is beatable, just like Pitt and NJ.

You might be a goaltending upgrade for them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nice GDT opener, @jsb!

The drama for this game is easy: can they make it three straight?  

Is their play sustainable/repeatable?

Trying to answer the question(s): what is this team now?  Is this for real?

Good times!  

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Does the fact that it's on ESPN+ (a paid, premium ESPN channel) affect that?

Oh man. I hope not. If my hockey package doesn't include all non locally available games because of a competing premium service I'm going to be really agitated.

I was thinking about getting ESPN+ because it carries the Clarkson University hockey games, and you can bundle it with Hulu and Disney+ now. But I didn't know they were carrying NHL games this year.

FWIW, this PDF lists both feeds for (the cable version) of Center Ice for today: http://indemand-corp.s3.amazonaws.com/Sports-Schedules/NHL-Schedule-2019-2020.pdf

Mon, 10/7/19 6:30 PM Buffalo Columbus Game HD 2 FSOH Pre/Post
Mon, 10/7/19 6:30 PM Buffalo Columbus Game HD 4 MSG-B Pre/Post - DUAL FEED

• Like (+1) 1

It also looks like most games this month will have the MSG-B feed avaiable. At quick glance it looks like just @Sharks and @Rags don't. Typically anytime it's a dual MSG game (Islanders, Rags, Devils) they never do dual feed. Not sure why the rest of the west coast trip is available but not the Shark game.

In a similar fashion when the Sharks play in Buffalo later in the month the San Jose feed isn't available.

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Great GDT, @jsb.  

Columbus is big and gritty and tough at home.   I have faith that our speed and skill will prevail.  This will be fun. 

Oooh, aaah, Sabres on the warpath! 

The Sabres outweigh them by 1lb. The Blue Jackets are .5 inches taller on average. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Oh man. I hope not. If my hockey package doesn't include all non locally available games because of a competing premium service I'm going to be really agitated.

I was thinking about getting ESPN+ because it carries the Clarkson University hockey games, and you can bundle it with Hulu and Disney+ now. But I didn't know they were carrying NHL games this year.

FWIW, this PDF lists both feeds for (the cable version) of Center Ice for today: http://indemand-corp.s3.amazonaws.com/Sports-Schedules/NHL-Schedule-2019-2020.pdf

Mon, 10/7/19 6:30 PM Buffalo Columbus Game HD 2 FSOH Pre/Post
Mon, 10/7/19 6:30 PM Buffalo Columbus Game HD 4 MSG-B Pre/Post - DUAL FEED

I'm hoping the difference is that ESPN+ is a true premium service, as opposed to NBCSN and other channels that are usually included with lower-level bundles without extra cost.  But I know if there is national coverage on NBC or NBCSN, I have to watch in on that network, not NHL.tv.

I think there was an ESPN+ game in the preseason (or possibly this past weekend) and it was viewable on NHL.tv, but I really don't know what governs the "blackouts" due to being carried on other channels.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm hoping the difference is that ESPN+ is a true premium service, as opposed to NBCSN and other channels that are usually included with lower-level bundles without extra cost.  But I know if there is national coverage on NBC or NBCSN, I have to watch in on that network, not NHL.tv.

I think there was an ESPN+ game in the preseason (or possibly this past weekend) and it was viewable on NHL.tv, but I really don't know what governs the "blackouts" due to being carried on other channels.

NBCSN pays for exclusive broadcast rights from my understanding. That is why it gets blacked out.