What do you need to see before you're totally bought in?

StuckinFL

I won't buy in until the Sabres realize that it is a team game and everyone has to contribute.  Everyone depends on Jack for offense, yet he sucks in his own end and has no idea how to cover anyone.  Getting beat twice by a rookie tonight is embarrassing.  Yes he can score 4 goals in one game and then look like Sh!t the next.  So frustrating watch this team year after yea play with a bunch on pansies on the ice.  Where are players like Peca, Grier, and Drury when you need them...

• Like (+1) 1

I thought about paying the money for NHL.tv when they started off so well in October again, but I'm glad I held off. I don't think they'll nosedive as badly as they did after the winning streak last season, but at least if they do I won't have to pay to see it. If they somehow manage to turn things around I can always subscribe for the back half of the season and the playoff race but at least point I'm pretty sure I won't have to spend the money.

There was an interesting segment on GR this morning in the first segment of the second hour of Howard and Jeremy's show.  To paraphrase Jeremy, what I need to see is a sense of urgency.  I don't see one and haven't seen one in about seven or eight years.  I'm starting to become turned away.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

There was an interesting segment on GR this morning in the first segment of the second hour of Howard and Jeremy's show.  To paraphrase Jeremy, what I need to see is a sense of urgency.  I don't see one and haven't seen one in about seven or eight years.  I'm starting to become turned away.

The coach not pulling the goalie at any time after Eichel scored to make it 4-1 is Exhibit A. And, no, this is not the beginning of my turning against Ralph. I still believe in Krueger.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The coach not pulling the goalie at any time after Eichel scored to make it 4-1 is Exhibit A. And, no, this is not the beginning of my turning against Ralph. I still believe in Krueger.

Their discussion this morning was much more about a sense of urgency (they did not use this word; it's my paraphrase) among players.  It wasn't about Krueger, whom, so far, I have no problem with.  And I really do agree with them.  After a loss, there's a shoulder shrug, some tepid quote about wanting to do better, and that's it.  There's no anger.  There is no sense of urgency.

Edited by Eleven

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Their discussion this morning was much more about a sense of urgency (they did not use this word; it's my paraphrase) among players.  It wasn't about Krueger, whom, so far, I have no problem with.  And I really do agree with them.  After a loss, there's a shoulder shrug, some tepid quote about wanting to do better, and that's it.  There's no anger.  There is no sense of urgency.

The players see the sh*tshow that happens whenever anyone says anything that isn't a typical cliche. 

I hope we've learned our lessons about arbitrarily assigning value to locker room quotes to be honest

They've experienced so much losing here that it'd honestly be corny for someone to be fuming after Chicago. They fumed to no avail last December through February, got no help, then broke, then still didn't get enough help

It is what it is 

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The players see the sh*tshow that happens whenever anyone says anything that isn't a typical cliche. 

I hope we've learned our lessons about arbitrarily assigning value to locker room quotes to be honest

They've experienced so much losing here that it'd honestly be corny for someone to be fuming after Chicago. They fumed to no avail last December through February, got no help, then broke, then still didn't get enough help

It is what it is 

It's much more than just Chicago.  This has been going on for seven or eight years.

I question whether Eichel is the right captain.  I questioned it then; I thought O'Reilly would have been the better choice.  Best player /= captain, IMO.

I also see a complete vacancy at coach since 2012.  I hope Krueger is the answer.

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's much more than just Chicago.  This has been going on for seven or eight years.

I question whether Eichel is the right captain.  I questioned it then; I thought O'Reilly would have been the better choice.  Best player /= captain, IMO.

I also see a complete vacancy at coach since 2012.  I hope Krueger is the answer.

The quotes will sound better when the team is better and winning. People here re-posted, loved, and talked about quotes from the 8-1-1 locker room, and quotes from the win streak as well. 

We tried the armchair psychology last year 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:35 AM, LTS said:

Perhaps... we have to wait and see. One possible scenario, letting the team fail on their own without the structure so they can better understand structure when it’s applied. I’m not saying I believe it... I just allow for the possibility.  It’s not about having it all figured out before you start, it’s about fixing what breaks when it happens and moving everything in the right direction.

At this point, RFK has proved his point and it's time to apply the structure (if that's his plan).  I mean, by the time we were a quarter of the way through The Might Ducks movie, Emilio Estevez was starting to see some progress.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

To paraphrase Jeremy, what I need to see is a sense of urgency.  I don't see one and haven't seen one in about seven or eight years.

They had that at the start of the season.  Fighting for every puck, pouncing on opponents' mistakes.  Remember all the breakaways in the first few games?  That's urgent play, desperate play.  That's what they need to get back to.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

At this point, RFK has proved his point and it's time to apply the structure (if that's his plan).  I mean, by the time we were a quarter of the way through The Might Ducks movie, Emilio Estevez was starting to see some progress.

Oh, I'm sure.  He's gotta find a way to get the team to relax a bit and have fun playing hockey. Right now they're all like "Oh no, not again."  You know, like when some posters on this forum start back up the narrative they love to push every now and then.  ?

They've got a ways to go... and trying too hard (which is not the same as playing hard and fast) is certainly not going to get them there.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They had that at the start of the season.  Fighting for every puck, pouncing on opponents' mistakes.  Remember all the breakaways in the first few games?  That's urgent play, desperate play.  That's what they need to get back to.

Wholeheartedly agree.  And effort/urgency on every shift is not relegated to stars.  EVERY guy needs to put it all out there every time.  It's so obvious to see, and so disappointing when it's not there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yeah, holding their sticks too tight.

I honestly think it's going to be a Lazar, a Gilmour, that's going to turn that around.  Let them play with (defensively responsible) reckless abandon, let them enjoy their games and demonstrate how that can lead to improved play.  The core pieces are too worried about their legacy, their duty to the fans to bring them a winning team.  A guy like Gilmour doesn't have that same emotional baggage.  He's pretty much just playing for himself, just trying to prove he belongs, and thankful when he gets playing time.  He's not worried about carrying the hopes and dreams of a fanbase on his shoulders, he's just worrying about his own self (and his friends on the bench).

Edited by Doohickie

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The quotes will sound better when the team is better and winning. People here re-posted, loved, and talked about quotes from the 8-1-1 locker room, and quotes from the win streak as well. 

We tried the armchair psychology last year 

It's not just about quotes.  Look what happens on the ice.

Just now, Doohickie said:

So which is chicken and which is egg?

I'm not sure.  I do know that the team lacks on-ice leadership.  With the current roster, I'd have Reinhart, Johansson wearing that C, and not Eichel.  I just don't think that's his jam. 

12 minutes ago, LTS said:

narrative                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ?

*sigh*  You too? Don't stoop to this.

Narrative is nothing more than an opinion you don't agree with. We all have them.  I hate that this place has taken to being so dismissive of other opinions this way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, holding their sticks too tight.

I honestly think it's going to be a Lazar, a Gilmour, that's going to turn that around.  Let them play with (defensively responsible) reckless abandon, let them enjoy their games and demonstrate how that can lead to improved play.  The core pieces are too worried about their legacy, their duty to the fans to bring them a winning team.  A guy like Gilmour doesn't have that same emotional baggage.  He's pretty much just playing for himself, just trying to prove he belongs, and thankful when he gets playing time.  He's not worried about carrying the hopes and dreams of a fanbase on his shoulders, he's just worrying about his own self (and his friends on the bench).

I'd love to see Gilmour pack a goal or two tonight and see the puckerage of the sphincter of Sheary,  ERod and Mitts.

12 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'd love to see Gilmour pack a goal or two tonight and see the puckerage of the sphincter of Sheary,  ERod and Mitts.

I'm not even sure that Sheary has a sphincter.  I think that fecal matter just builds up inside and then it comes out through his skates during games.

Edited by Eleven

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I bet it'd be tough for the players to show urgency when Botterill exudes the complete opposite while he's punting season after season. 

It's never about THIS year. Starts at the top. 

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It is what it is 

Bingo. Why believe in themselves when the management basically admitted to not, last year. Frankly, Murray's disappointment about not getting McDavid was less a kick in the nuts than that, I'd wager. 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Oh, I'm sure.  He's gotta find a way to get the team to relax a bit and have fun playing hockey. Right now they're all like "Oh no, not again."  You know, like when some posters on this forum start back up the narrative they love to push every now and then.  ?

They've got a ways to go... and trying too hard (which is not the same as playing hard and fast) is certainly not going to get them there.

The narrative that they are always bad? That's not a narrative. It's a collection of a decade's worth of data. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.