What do you need to see before you're totally bought in?

StuckinFL

This is the first year I didn't buy-in to GameCenter; I barely watched last year, and didn't feel like spending any time on it this year. I'm mildly regretting that decision, but I'm just superstitious enough to wonder if I should subscribe now and jinx them.

Just time. It's pretty apparent what your team is by January I'd say. In the meantime, it's more than fun enough to enjoy the games, and talk about what looks good and what doesn't.

There hasn't been much that doesn't look good in the first two games. If I haaaaaaaaad to pick one thing, it'd probably be the two quick goals coming out of both intermissions Saturday. But the responses to those goals were so good that you don't really worry about it until it becomes a trend that doesn't always get responded to

Really the thing that will make a difference to me is their ability to win some back to back games. They couldn't string two wins together at all last year minus the streak... 

Yet they've managed two in a row right off the bat. That's a good sign. The next thing will be making it happen again after suffering a loss.

• Like (+1) 1

Offense will come, defense will sort itself out...I need to see that our two goalies can carry this team when it's needed.

If that comes to fruition, I'll start thinking this team has a chance at the playoffs.

I really need Krueger to stop trying to protect Dahlin though. He should be playing over 20 minutes a night, in all situations.

EDIT: I also need to see Skinner show he doesn't need Eichel to be good...and I need Eichel to take another step forward, preferably as a goal-scorer.

Edited by OhMyDahlin

For me personally, I just need to see the level of play they showed the past two games sustained for a longer period of time, like 25 games.  Obviously they won’t play great every game, but if they can give this same type of play for 8 out of 10 games and sustain that for 1/3rd of a season, I’ll be pretty bought in.  

I guess it depends what you really mean by bought in though.  Talent wise I still think this is a borderline playoff team at best.  I still think they will struggle to beat the top-10 teams in the league.  My preseason prediction was in the 80-85 point range, but it looks like they could possibly sneak into the playoffs if they continue playing like this.  

8 hours ago, Weave said:

I’ll need to see consistency.  A good, solid stretch of it.  It may not be until well into the stretch run in the last 1/3 of the season before I’ll be able to be all in.

What he said. 

Oh I'm all bought into watching with center ice and enjoying the ride but I will try and not get emotionally invested like trash talking the other top teams fans that have pawned us for too many years. 

After sleeping on the Columbus loss, I'm looking at it through kind of rose colored glasses.  The team came out flat against a CBJ squad that was highly motivated, and they jumped us.  They were outplayed, especially early on, and yet they still clawed their way back to get a point.  And that's been their worst game so far.

Yes a bigger sample size is needed, but I kind of like this team.  In three games, 14 different players recorded a point, and there have been 8 different goal scorers.  Only Joki, Sobs, Vesey and Larsson have yet to get a point.  Last year we only had 4 different goal scorers at this point (and just over half as many goals). Offense is much better, defense is decent.

Let's see if they can keep this up.

I know it's cliche, but after last nights poor performance, a big time game tomorrow night would go a long way for me. It'll be nice to see how they play after a loss. Not saying they need to win 7-2 but a good 60 minute effort and win would really satisfy me for a while in believing that this team is different then the ones in the past several seasons.

21 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yes a bigger sample size is needed, but I kind of like this team.  In three games, 14 different players recorded a point, and there have been 8 different goal scorers.  Only Joki, Sobs, Vesey and Larsson have yet to get a point.  Last year we only had 4 different goal scorers at this point (and just over half as many goals). Offense is much better, defense is decent.

Quite the fitting nickname. 

These last couple games remind me of the streak last season.  They could've easily been in a big hole the first 10min but goaltending bailed them out.   Then just good and lucky enough to win in OT/SO.

A win is better than loss, but they need better starts and finishes... which plagued them last year as well.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

These last couple games remind me of the streak last season.  They could've easily been in a big hole the first 10min but goaltending bailed them out.   Then just good and lucky enough to win in OT/SO.

A win is better than loss, but they need better starts and finishes... which plagued them last year as well.

I'm inclined to agree.

The one thing I think that is different though is the power play. The streak games were won on a lot of lucky bounces and Jeff Skinner. Neither of those things have really been a factor in these wins so far. I think they're earning these wins a little more than they did during the streak.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I'm inclined to agree.

The one thing I think that is different though is the power play. The streak games were won on a lot of lucky bounces and Jeff Skinner. Neither of those things have really been a factor in these wins so far. I think they're earning these wins a little more than they did during the streak.

Agreed.

Very loosely, I think the streak had a handful of games we should have lost and a bunch more that were up for grabs. We just happened to win them all.

This start we’ve had a game we should have lost, two that were up for grabs, and two games we dominated. Was there a single game we dominated during the 10-game streak? Nine of the 10 were one-goal wins.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I agree. They seem to immediately lose composure and play on their heels when a team has an aggressive forecheck. Time will tell if they can break that habit or of it'll be their downfall this year.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

From my perspective this great start to the season is very different then the 10 game streak last year.

The Sabres are playing much better overall this season and are really playing like a well coached machine.

Weren't you the one that said you liked Mackenzie Weegar? I wasn't aware until last night that he is Craig Rivet's nephew.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

Being competitive in January would be a positive step.  Last year we watched our pad slip way and we never could turn the ship.   We have a shot at a wild  card I’d we stay healthy, improve, and can mentally survive the 82 game grind.  That’s means avoid losing streaks. 

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Weren't you the one that said you liked Mackenzie Weegar? I wasn't aware until last night that he is Craig Rivet's nephew.

Yes.  Guilty as charged.  I watched Weegar a lot when he played in Halifax.  If I recall correctly, which is a scary proposition at best, he was drafted with the final pick in the 2013 draft.  I thought he had a good chance to really do something with the Panthers.  He was a force on D for the 2013 Memorial Cup champion Mooseheads.  Man that was a great team.  MacKinnon, Drouin and, of course, Fucale (?) ...

I was not aware that Rivet is his uncle.  Actually, wiki says that Rivet is his cousin.  Weegar wears #52, cus Rivet wore that number.

Small world.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
all those missing letters ...

54 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yes.  Guilty as charged.  I watched Weegar a lot when he played in Halifax.  If I recall correctly, which is a scary proposition at best, he was drafted with the final pick in the 2013 draft.  I thought he had a good chance to really do something with the Panthers.  He was a force on D for the 2013 Memorial Cup champion Mooseheads.  Man that was a great team.  MacKinnon, Drouin and, of course, Fucale (?) ...

I was not aware that Rivet is his uncle.  Actually, wiki says that Rivet is his cousin.  Weegar wears #52, cus Rivet wore that number.

Small world.

I could be wrong and it may be a cousin, but just heard it last night on the broadcast.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.