What do you need to see before you're totally bought in?

StuckinFL

So I've seen 2 games that the Sabres absolutely dominated their opponents and had zero quit but I still find myself a little apprehensive that they're a truly great team that's finally come into their own. Maybe it's a new system that other teams will figure out. Maybe they can only sustain this pressure and athleticism for awhile before they start wearing down. Maybe they get a key injury and the whole team falls apart. I hope none of those things happen obviously, but that creeping doubt after so long is still there.

But I started asking myself what I need to see in order to truly believe that they might be great. I think I need to see an honest compete level every period with a recorded win above the Deluca .500 in the first 10 games to truly be swept away. I don't think it's an intellectually smart marker, but I think I won't be able to hold myself back from totally believing in this team if that occurs.

I'm curious what others measuring sticks are...

• Like (+1) 1

There was a moment in the 3rd period, it started on the power play and ended a few minutes after that. That stretch was ugly and reminded me of last year. Those moments need to stop. I don't mind if a team is playing better than them and they struggle, but during that small stretch they could not make an open pass, could not receive a pass, and could not skate. They were completely out of sync. When I stop seeing those moments I will buy in completely again.

Edited by Trey
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm already bought in to be honest. They're playing the game right so far. 

I'll just un-buy in if that stops. 

Last night was super fun. Maybe the most fun ive had at a Sabres game since we had Briere and Drury on the ice. The thing that makes it so difficult to buy in right now, is how pessimistic most fans were and how down on the Sabres the media was and the two games this team has played it seems like its a brand new team. It's almost like Kreuger is a miracle worker based on how he has this team playing. Which just doesn't seem sustainable. Guys like Scandella and Larsson are looking excellent through the naked eye or the fancy stats.

For example, a bad game tomorrow against a winnable opponent and then back on home ice vs. Carey Price and just like that this train could be derailed quickly.

I completely bought in last season during the 10-game win streak so i'm trying to be a bit more grounded this time. And i feel like we got outplayed almost each game during that streak, while we've crushed both our opponents so far this season. Anyhow, i can't wait for tomorrow!

I’d say near term look at their competitiveness at the end of the month. If it’s still high then I’m hopeful.

If they still look like they can hang with the best by all star break I’m expecting playoffs.

If they get in the playoffs I only expect them to make the most of the experience. Next year I expect at least round two.

Just to see it continue night in night out. That's all I need.

There are still question marks, like goaltending consistency, depth, how we will stand up to real solid physical play, but the whole thing is clearly unlike anything we saw from Housley's team, even during the win streak. This is a real hockey team, just a question of if it continues.  

For as long as they realistically look to be a team that will spend the entirety of the season in the hunt for a playoff spot, I'm bought in. 

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I'm already bought in to be honest. They're playing the game right so far. 

I'll just un-buy in if that stops. 

And pretty much this.

Unlike analyzing things over the summer and forming an opinion on how one thinks the team looks, any concrete judgment needs to be based on the results, anyways. So far this season, so good. If that changes, so does the perspective. 

I do know that, even having been excited for game 1, as I am every hockey season, still had felt a bit of a malaise due to doubt. Now, it's just full on anticipation mode for each game. They've only had good results this season so far, can't help but have the corresponding excitement level. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I can't buy in because I never bought out.  This is my 50th year watching.  I just enjoy the rides as they come.

I don’t think anyone here has. Anyone posting on a site like this is going to be on the more ardent end of the fan base, generally. 

Believe the OP question was more along the lines of, “do you buy into the idea this team is finally good”.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Respectfully, I don’t think anyone here has. Anyone posting on a site like this is going to be on the more ardent end of the fan base, generally. 

Believe the OP question was more along the lines of, “do you buy into the idea this team is finally good”.

It hasn’t been fun watching them miss the playoffs but I always look forward to watching them play. I think they are good now but STL wasn’t good in the beginning of last season. Two games in is too few to make a judgment.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

So I've seen 2 games that the Sabres absolutely dominated their opponents and had zero quit but I still find myself a little apprehensive that they're a truly great team that's finally come into their own. Maybe it's a new system that other teams will figure out. Maybe they can only sustain this pressure and athleticism for awhile before they start wearing down. Maybe they get a key injury and the whole team falls apart. I hope none of those things happen obviously, but that creeping doubt after so long is still there.

But I started asking myself what I need to see in order to truly believe that they might be great. I think I need to see an honest compete level every period with a recorded win above the Deluca .500 in the first 10 games to truly be swept away. I don't think it's an intellectually smart marker, but I think I won't be able to hold myself back from totally believing in this team if that occurs.

I'm curious what others measuring sticks are...

More than 2 games but I'm just enjoying the wins right now

To me the real test will be they bounce back from each loss. Do they play a full 60 minutes every night? Or do they let it spiral? It's easy to be upbeat and play hard when you're winning. It's a lot harder when you lose, especially a few in a row.

I'll enjoy every win though, and hope there will be more of those to come. Looks good so far.

Rumor has it the band wagon is in the shop getting cleaned up and enlarged. My guess is you better jump in now rather than wait until the fans who aren't so ardent gets wind of this team and fills it up quickly. If this holds up even the STHs may finally have a product to sell!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.