GDT: NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres, 10-5-2019, 7pm ET (MSG, WGR)

Doohickie

Ristolainen needs to take a wait and see approach. New coaching staff can change the whole outlook of a team. I believe they finally added a coach that this team desperately needed. I wanted Housley gone mid-season last year. He just seemed too soft for this group.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

28 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It'd be pretty wild if getting pucks to Olofsson in that spot on the power play (1st goal) is a repeatable thing. We haven't seen a player post up there in years. If it works, I won't even complain about Skinner on the half wall ?

Olofsson can definitely shoot the puck. I like what’s in the pipeline as well.

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

So, is Risto a keeper now? He and McCabe really seem to compliment one another.

He was never “not a keeper”. He has been misused for 6+ years. Throw him on the 2nd line, throw him 18-22 mins a night, and all of a sudden he looks pretty good. Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1

My game notes:

- Is this really happening?

- MoJo and VO have completely changed the complexion of the offensive rotation.  Now there are 2 strong top lines, and Mitts and Sheary have been pushed down the rotation to a more sheltered role where they can act, with Vesey, as a poor man's Roy-Max-Vanek 3rd line to keep the offensive pressure coming.

- Here's another possibility for the unnamed vet who was ready to storm the beach after meeting with RK this summer:  Scandella.  He has been terrific.  And his partner, Joker, has held up quite well too. 

- Speaking of the D -- pretty even ice time distribution last night, with everyone getting at least 17 min.  Risto led with 23.5, which, as everyone has wanted, is down from his average of 24:38 last year and 26:30 the previous 2 years. 

- Reino's goals didn't demonstrate speed, as much as certain people would like to pretend otherwise, but they were both high-end skill plays.  He also made a perfect pass to spring Eichel on that breakaway.

- Skinner's goal was also gorgeous, both the pass from MoJo and the snipe by Skinner.

- Another strong game for Hutton, although I think all 3 of the goals he's given up this year have been short-side misplays by him.

- As noted upthread, VO has much more game than just his shot.  He's a good passer and has good hockey IQ.

- There's another winnable game coming up on Monday vs CBJ.  Bank those points!

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

If there’s a couple fans that I hope were able to enjoy this win, it’s Jeremy White and his wife.

I’m sure everyone that has a relationship with the Buffalo community continues to support these two with their thoughts and prayers.

Go Sabres and Bills, especially for all those who have to deal with real life emotional hardship.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

My game notes:

- Here's another possibility for the unnamed vet who was ready to storm the beach after meeting with RK this summer:  Scandella.  He has been terrific.  And his partner, Joker, has held up quite well too. 

- Reino's goals didn't demonstrate speed, as much as certain people would like to pretend otherwise, but they were both high-end skill plays.  He also made a perfect pass to spring Eichel on that 

Go Sabres.

I think Scandella has been average and hasn't made a glaring mistake but he's still slow footed and takes too long to transition. 

Do you think Reinhart is a good skater? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being below average 10 being McDavid, 5 being league average

5 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

Thanks for that. The more I hear Ralph speak the more he pulls me in. I’m really starting to believe in his philosophy about this game. It all sounds so simple yet makes me question why housley and others were so far removed from figuring all this out. One example is housley to me never had the ability to make adjustments mid-game depending on what the other team was throwing at him. When the Sabres hit some adversity in coming games I believe Ralph is intelligent enough to counter whatever the other coach has up his sleeve. I realize Ralph has more depth to work with than Phil had but I question whether Phil could or would know how to use that to his advantage.

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Scandella has been average and hasn't made a glaring mistake but he's still slow footed and takes too long to transition. 

Do you think Reinhart is a good skater? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being below average 10 being McDavid, 5 being league average

I'd call him an 8.  His skating complements, but does not exceed his skill set and awareness.  It's not going to slow down what he can do, at least at this point in his career.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, bunomatic said:

It all sounds so simple yet makes me question why housley and others were so far removed from figuring all this out.

Perspective.  RFK knows the game, but has been away for a while so he has an NHL outsider's perspective, informed by previous (dated) NHL experience, European tournament hockey experience, and his soccer executive experience.  I think he's synthesized this altogether to create his overall strategic plan, then staffed the various positions using the available players.  He has executive experience and organizational experience on a level that most NHL coaches, especially newer ones, probably don't have.

• Like (+1) 2

Most of the lines make sense, but putting Sobotka on the second line, and Okposo on the fourth line, are not "conventional" choices.  I wouldn't be surprised if, upon filling out the lines, those two were the ones he placed last, and considered a balancing of lines, rather than "rankings" (Line 1, Line 2, etc.) as his criteria.  From that perspective he's thinking outside of the normal NHL coach's box.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Most of the lines make sense, but putting Sobotka on the second line, and Okposo on the fourth line, are not "conventional" choices.  I wouldn't be surprised if, upon filling out the lines, those two were the ones he placed last, and considered a balancing of lines, rather than "rankings" (Line 1, Line 2, etc.) as his criteria.  From that perspective he's thinking outside of the normal NHL coach's box.

Ralph’s comments about Okposo over the weekend makes it pretty clear Kyle’s primary role is to play with and like Larry and Z in that grinding role, while adding some offence to that line, and his secondary (as-yet unused) role is to rotate in on the PP or on a scoring line when that line needs some heavier skill, or someone on that line isn’t producing. 

Internal competition, clear roles, everyone needed: Ralph certainly seems to practice what he preaches.

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Agree that Sobotka on line 2 is unconventional to put it kindly.

But Okposo on the 4th line was only unconventional when it was 1st attempted last year.  It worked then.  It no longer is unconventional and actually was expected by several people here.

• Like (+1) 1