GDT: NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres, 10-5-2019, 7pm ET (MSG, WGR)

Doohickie

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

Forty nine years ago, plus or minus a week or two, I was sitting in my family’s living room watching TV.  I was nine years old and it was a school night.    I crawled aross the room and turned the channel knob, probably looking for Love, American Style or The Courtship of Eddie’s father.

I came across an interview.  It was clearly an athlete, in uniform and sweating, but I had no idea what he was talking about.  I’d never seen a hockey game.  I’d never heard the word “hockey”.  I sat and watched Gerry Meehan, between periods.  I continued watching, over my sister’s protestations, and the rest is history.

I listened to or watched nearly every game for decades.  I went to airports to greet returning playoff teams.  I slept overnight in front of The Aud to get SRO tickets and chanted “Bernie, Bernie” when Parent skated the Conn Smythe around the ice in 1975.  I bought “Schony”, sang “We’re gonna win that cup”, and wore a Sabrejak for years.  We all did back in the day of no internet, four tv channels, and a shared community experience.

Life would take me into business where I’ve worked with franchise groups in three cities, helped build a few arenas, advised owners and players.  I’ve had cocktails on grand lawns in East Aurora, dinners with owners in private dining rooms, sat with Robert Gordon Orr* for a playoff game, fielded phone calls from Jim Kelley and talked quietly with brawlers and enforcers.  John Muckler let me wear a ring.  Bob Probert shook my entire arm with a massive hand.  Craig Simpson told me how humble every achievement made him feel.  Bob Swados yelled at me.  I’ve used parents and agents to talk to 19 year olds who spoke only French.  I answered my cell phone, once, and helped a future HOFer use a debit card.  I’ve talked to people in Meehan’s player agency.   Like some Zelig or Forrest Gump, I’ve found myself in wildly interesting situations.  It all started with a random turn of a TV dial, and a Gerry Meehan interview, forty nine years ago.

I just saw Gerry interviewed on TV, again, tonight ...  I’d love to tell him my story and his role in it.

In the words of Ricky Fitz, “Sometimes, there is so much beauty in the world .....”.

* of Parry Sound, Ontario.

I was born the same year as the team. My Mother and Father (dad, you would be in awe of this, I know your watching) were die hard fans from the start. I can remember only from 3 - 4 yrs old on. And oh the memories. The Aud, the smell of smoke in the air, the players. My mom had an affair with one of them from the 78 team, no names, but I got to meet a lot of them.

Just 1, just 1 Stanley Cup Parade in Downtown Buffalo, that is my life's dream.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t  understand what was called on the fight/scrum.

How did we get a 2 min PP?

Why did Okposo and Subban get misconducts and are they game misconducts?  

Is Simmons out too? 

They gave an extra 2 to Simmonds so we got a PP out of it.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 1