GDT: NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres, 10-5-2019, 7pm ET (MSG, WGR)

Doohickie

17 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They have a lot of picks in the next two drafts. They have their top 6 set for a least 4+ years. Plenty of time to draft and develop. Only move I really hated was the Tatar trade from Detroit, that was brutal. He never really fit in

I don't agree. Their defense is not going to improve and Fluery isn't getting younger. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No they aren't. They're living on borrowed time with almost no cheap replacement players in their pipeline. They are lucky they have a good coach.

They've spent the last two years playing consistently some of the best hockey of any team in the league. They dominated the Western Conference Finalist in game 7 last year, before unraveling on a BS 5 minute major in which four goals were scored. The team has as good a shot as any other in the league. You've had this idea for two years now, but they're as strong as they've ever been. None of Stone, Marchessault, Karlsson, Patches are going to fall off in the next few years, and they drive elite possession hockey, the most sustainable type of hockey there is. Cody Glass is a wonderful center set up to take Stastny's job when he falls off. They also drafted a top 5 forward of mine in last year's first round, made 8 picks out of the typical 7, and 19 picks combined in the 17 and 18 drafts, most of which they still have in the organization. 

For somebody who likes possession hockey and fancy stats for their sustainability, it's a wonder that you're not high on this Vegas team. They're the definition of a fancy stats darling, with ruthless, machine-like hockey efficiency. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They're a serious Stanley Cup contender for the third year in a row, and the nucleus that makes them so good is locked up long term. It's worth it

19 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They have a lot of picks in the next two drafts. They have their top 6 set for a least 4+ years. Plenty of time to draft and develop. Only move I really hated was the Tatar trade from Detroit, that was brutal. He never really fit in

They an extra 2nd and an extra 3rd this year. They have 2 extra 2nds next year. I'd bet money some of those get traded but it's not a ton. 

I'm not worried about their top 6. I'd be worried about their rapidly aging defense and gt situation. There's nothing in the pipeline to replace that. 

They'll need to hit well on their next 2 drafts or they will be in trouble. The lack of a true gt prospect is alarming. The fact their best under 24 defender is Korczak is worrisome with what they'll need to replace on their blueline. I'd guess maybe 1 player from their 2018 class makes the nhl. Their 2019 class is better. 

Are they excluded from the expansion draft?

Either way I think they'll be a playoff team for awhile but they lack depth on defense and in net and that will hurt them. 

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They've spent the last two years playing consistently some of the best hockey of any team in the league. They dominated the Western Conference Finalist in game 7 last year, before unraveling on a BS 5 minute major in which four goals were scored. The team has as good a shot as any other in the league. You've had this idea for two years now, but they're as strong as they've ever been. None of Stone, Marchessault, Karlsson, Patches are going to fall off in the next few years, and they drive elite possession hockey, the most sustainable type of hockey there is. Cody Glass is a wonderful center set up to take Stastny's job when he falls off. They also drafted a top 5 forward of mine in last year's first round, made 8 picks out of the typical 7, and 19 picks combined in the 17 and 18 drafts, most of which they still have in the organization. 

For somebody who likes possession hockey and fancy stats for their sustainability, it's a wonder that you're not high on this Vegas team. They're the definition of a fancy stats darling, with ruthless, machine-like hockey efficiency. 

You're not listening. I think they'll be good this year. But they don't have an extended window because of reasons I laid out above. That's my opinion. 

27 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They pick character players who play two way hockey. If u lived here you would absolutely love them. Plus these players are great with the community.

This has been Buffalos mantra for the last 2 years, character guys and 2 way hockey. 

Just now, SabresBillsFan said:

I can agree with that. That Stone trade looks like a steal right now and I absolutely was bummed when Branstrom was part of that trade, but damn is Stone really good.

I agree. And I also could be wrong. Flagg could be right

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They an extra 2nd and an extra 3rd this year. They have 2 extra 2nds next year. I'd bet money some of those get traded but it's not a ton. 

I'm not worried about their top 6. I'd be worried about their rapidly aging defense and gt situation. There's nothing in the pipeline to replace that. 

They'll need to hit well on their next 2 drafts or they will be in trouble. The lack of a true gt prospect is alarming. The fact their best under 24 defender is Korczak is worrisome with what they'll need to replace on their blueline. I'd guess maybe 1 player from their 2018 class makes the nhl. Their 2019 class is better. 

Are they excluded from the expansion draft?

Either way I think they'll be a playoff team for awhile but they lack depth on defense and in net and that will hurt them. 

You're not listening. I think they'll be good this year. But they don't have an extended window because of reasons I laid out above. That's my opinion. 

Define "extended" ? Again, their nucleus is 30 or younger. They play the kind of hockey that allowed Boston to get over that hump we all thought was going to destroy them after that brutal 2015 draft. And even IF they only had 1-2 years left, 5 years of cup contention is worth pretty much anything. And they're gong to be a good team longer than that. Teams that play like THIS don't go away quickly. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Define "extended" ? Again, their nucleus is 30 or younger. They play the kind of hockey that allowed Boston to get over that hump we all thought was going to destroy them after that brutal 2015 draft. And even IF they only had 1-2 years left, 5 years of cup contention is worth pretty much anything. And they're gong to be a good team longer than that. Teams that play like THIS don't go away quickly. 

I think they'll have 3 not 5

Can we get back to the Sabres game?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Anything u guys want to know about Miller just ask. Seen him daily the last two seasons.  I’m hoping he changed his curve for Buffalo’s sake. He’s got a cannon but misses the net a lot. That was one thing that fans couldn’t stand about him in Vegas. 

He released a pretty nasty head-hunter last game, if I remember correctly 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I read these threads and wonder if anyone is gutsy enough to tell us their track record of making predictions.

I wonder if anyone really tracks and pays attention to all their predictions past an hour or so after the game is done.  I know I don’t. I might be 100% or I might be 0%. ?‍♂️