GDT: NJ Devils @ Buffalo Sabres, 10-5-2019, 7pm ET (MSG, WGR)

Doohickie

Gilbert Perreault. Danny Gare. Floyd Smith. Michael Peca. Craig Rivet. Toni Lydman. Gerry Meehan. Jochen Hecht. Brian Gionta. Don Luce. Brian Campbell. Mike Foligno. Donald Audette. Jason Pominville. Stu Barnes. 

Those 15 Sabres captains are back in Buffalo tonight to participate in a pregame ceremony to kick off the home portion of the Golden Season schedule. Smith, the first captain in team history, will drop the puck for a ceremonial faceoff.

There's a Party in the Plaza starting at 5 p.m. featuring kid-friendly activities, sponsor activations, and live music from The Strictly Hip. The former captains will walk the Blue and Gold Carpet at around 5:30 to greet fans on their way into KeyBank Center.

If you're attending the game, make sure you're in your seat by 6:45 p.m. so you don't miss any of the pregame ceremony. If you're enjoying the game on TV, catch the GMC Game Night pregame show on MSG at 6:30. Once the game gets going, Rick Jeanneret and Rob Ray will have the call on MSG and WGR 550.

• Tonight's game marks the 49th home-opener in franchise history.
  • The Sabres are 21-20-7 all-time in their first home game of the season. Buffalo is looking for its first win in a home-opener since the team's 5-2 win vs. Philadelphia on Jan. 20, 2013.
  • The Sabres have previously opened their home schedule against the Devils once in franchise history, a 2-1 win on Jan. 25, 1995 featuring Sabres goals by Donald Audette and Wayne Presley and a 29-save performance by Dominik Hasek.

• This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Devils this season.
  • Last meeting: New Jersey defeated Buffalo 3-1 in New Jersey on March 25
  • Next meeting: Monday, Dec. 2 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Devils; 4-5-1 at home.

Fans who walk into KeyBank Center on Saturday night will be greeted by a series of banners hung throughout the atrium, each depicting a moment from the Sabres' 50-year history. 

There are images of Dominik Hasek, Pat LaFontaine, Danny Gare, and Daniel Briere. Fans will see Gilbert Perreault being carried on the shoulders of his teammates after scoring his 500th NHL goal and Ryan Miller and company at the inaugural Winter Classic in Orchard Park. 

Among those banners is an image of Jack Eichel celebrating his second NHL goal. Eichel will again find himself among Sabres greats prior to Saturday's home opener against New Jersey, when the team welcomes 15 former captains to the ice as part of a pregame ceremony. 

Eichel had just passed beneath those atrium banners as he considered what the moment will mean.  

"It's a really, really special moment just to put that into perspective and think about the franchise and obviously what an honor it is to be the captain of this franchise," he said. 

"To think about the history and all the past captains, what it was like for them to wear the 'C,' and for me to carry on the tradition - it's a complete honor. It's really cool that the Sabres are doing this tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

New Jersey is coming off a hard OT loss (home against Winnipeg) from a couple of hours ago.  Right now, they're probably on an airplane, and likely won't get to their hotel rooms until about 2am.  

This is the type of game that a playoff caliber team, at home and with rest, would win.

I agree. I also think nj is overrated just because jack Hughes is there. He's shifty but he's not strong yet. Get a body on him and make him irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

New Jersey is coming off a hard OT loss (home against Winnipeg) from a couple of hours ago.  Right now, they're probably on an airplane, and likely won't get to their hotel rooms until about 2am.  

This is the type of game that a playoff caliber team, at home and with rest, would win.

Hard isn't the word i would use....they were up 4-0 at home...totally and completely unacceptable are what i would call it.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Gusev is an interesting story.  He’s 5’9”, 163 lbs, making his NHL debut at age 27 and led the KHL in scoring last year.  

Calder eligible then? 

Did a fair bit of reading up on him, seems like he could get 20+ goals with the right help around. Stole him in a late round for my fantasy team ?

13 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Calder eligible then? 

Did a fair bit of reading up on him, seems like he could get 20+ goals with the right help around. Stole him in a late round for my fantasy team ?

Being a Knights season ticket holder sad thing is Vegas couldn’t afford to keep him due to cap issues. The Knights I guess didn’t want to mess with the chemistry of the current squad to fit him in. Plus they weren’t willing to pay him 4+ million for a guy that never played in the league on the smaller ice surface. I think he’s going to be a really good player though. His passing skills are excellent and he’s got some smooth shoot out skills. Just on the small side.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

New Jersey's defense looks about as bad as Pittsburgh's on paper. I think their offense is going to be more dynamic than what Pittsburgh showed us. Should be a fun, mistake-filled game.

Watching Subban closely the last two years when our Knights would play them this guy has offensive skills but his defense is not very good. I think he’s highly overrated. 

This will be a tougher challenge. (The way Pittsburgh played anyone would be)

The Devils have given us fits in recent years with their speed and style.

Im curious to see how we match up against New Jersey.

And real excited to see the new jerseys.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Being a Knights season ticket holder sad thing is Vegas couldn’t afford to keep him due to cap issues. The Knights I guess didn’t want to mess with the chemistry of the current squad to fit him in. Plus they weren’t willing to pay him 4+ million for a guy that never played in the league on the smaller ice surface. I think he’s going to be a really good player though. His passing skills are excellent and he’s got some smooth shoot out skills. Just on the small side.

That's knights have been bad when it comes to cap management and trading away prospects. It's going to hurt them sooner rather than later. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

That's knights have been bad when it comes to cap management and trading away prospects. It's going to hurt them sooner rather than later. 

They're a serious Stanley Cup contender for the third year in a row, and the nucleus that makes them so good is locked up long term. It's worth it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

They have a lot of picks in the next two drafts. They have their top 6 set for a least 4+ years. Plenty of time to draft and develop. Only move I really hated was the Tatar trade from Detroit, that was brutal. He never really fit in

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

They're a serious Stanley Cup contender for the third year in a row, and the nucleus that makes them so good is locked up long term. It's worth it

Yep.  It would be a nice change of pace to have Vegas' problems.

Has the Sabres announced their road-show yet? Last year in Vegas was awesome. Hoping it comes here again this year.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Yep.  It would be a nice change of pace to have Vegas' problems.

They pick character players who play two way hockey. If u lived here you would absolutely love them. Plus these players are great with the community.

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Calder eligible then? 

No. 

You have to be 26 or younger to be eligible for the Calder.