Middlestadt Pullup Progress?

nikuman

1 hour ago, nikuman said:

We all know of Middlestadt's infamous "zero pull-up" combine workout in 2017...today's BN story on Middlestadt reports that he's added weight and muscle mass, but has anyone seen a reference as to how many pull-ups he can do now?  Inquiring minds want to know.

You're new here... so let me just post this link and then you can lock the thread yourself.

http://www.startribune.com/casey-mittelstadt-lifting-gophers-with-strong-start-to-college-career/454779223/

“Our strength coach noticed right away that his shoulder was a little out of alignment,” coach Don Lucia said. “He got him fixed with manipulation, and [Mittelstadt] was able to do a half-dozen [pull ups] right after that.”

Have a great day.

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LTS said:

You're new here... so let me just post this link and then you can lock the thread yourself.

http://www.startribune.com/casey-mittelstadt-lifting-gophers-with-strong-start-to-college-career/454779223/

Have a great day.

Alrighty, Mr. Poopy-pants, we're trying to enjoy our day here.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Can we stop this non-sense now? Who cares about pull-ups, he doesn't need to be in the AHL, he's not a bust, etc.

The kid looked excellent last night. He's growing. He's improving. He's a 20 year old kid that is 2 years removed from high school.

Us older folks getting up in age, we just call them Depends.

• Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Can we stop this non-sense now? Who cares about pull-ups, he doesn't need to be in the AHL, he's not a bust, etc.

The kid looked excellent last night. He's growing. He's improving. He's a 20 year old kid that is 2 years removed from high school.

Who cares about athletic strength? ?

When I was in high school I was in wrestling and was quite in shape and I did a lot of weight lifting. I was able to do about 15 pull ups or so

I severely broke my ankle and had to stop wrestling. my senior year I lost weight and was pretty skinny. Maybe 145 pounds at 6,1.

I was able to do way more pull ups and the gym teacher said to stop because I had hit the limit of what they recorded.

because i was very thin it was very easy for me vs when I was in wrestling and heavier. However I was much stronger when I was wrestling.

What I'm getting at, I dont believe that pullups really mean anything. 

Edited by miles
  • Like (+1) 1

^^^ Agreed.  Pull ups are an exercise that can help build upper body strength, but not the best measure of physical strength because they are so dependent upon body weight.  However, I believe that Casey not being able to do a pull up at the combine did show that there was a good amount of overall strength development that still needed to take place with him in order to become a high level pro player.

1 hour ago, OhMyDahlin said:

20 year old kid should be able to pull ups?

The obvious chemistry between him and Sheary was awesome to see. Ralph seems to make a big deal about getting the right people together. I hope they continue to make magic together. 

We win last night even though neither Jack, Sam or Jeff had a goal. Nice! And we missed like ten breakaway chances! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, miles said:

When I was in high school I was in wrestling and was quite in shape and I did a lot of weight lifting. I was able to do about 15 pull ups or so

I severely broke my ankle and had to stop wrestling. my senior year I lost weight and was pretty skinny. Maybe 145 pounds at 6,1.

I was able to do way more pull ups and the gym teacher said to stop because I had hit the limit of what they recorded.

because i was very thin it was very easy for me vs when I was in wrestling and heavier. However I was much stronger when I was wrestling.

What I'm getting at, I dont believe that pullups really mean anything. 

Correct.  If it measures any strength at all it is isolated to your biceps and a some of your back.  Having less mass to “pull up” is a lot easier than trying to double or triple your bicep.  

In my early twenties I had to hang a 35 pound dumbbell on my weight belt to make 12 pull-ups a challenge, otherwise I could do 20+ with ease.   Now that I’m 60’s and much “heftier” I doubt I could do more that 5.  (Queue up Springsteen “Glory Days”)  

Mitts looks stronger this year.  He looks  bigger, and he has a wider in stance than it appears.  

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

All 18 yr draft prospects need to add strength. It's like saying water is wet. 

If jack Hughes is bad this year, it's probably just because he's not strong enough. It's just how it is. 

Right. We were spoiled by Eichel, who is regularly referred to as "an athletic freak of nature"

I never saw a whole lot of relevance even though it was a little funny at the time.  Hockey players train to develop specific strengths and a pull up doesn't really translate to anything a hockey player would do.  

My guess is he would truck most of us on the ice. 

Hockey players typically have a tough time with pull-ups because they have big thick thighs and butts, which accounts for the vast majority of their body weight.... Casey is no exception.   

That said, how can he not have done a single pull-up?!  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.