Game 1, Ice time....

mjd1001

Good win by the Sabres, but I was surprised by some of the ice time given to players....

D-unit: -Mcabe 25:11 ice time, Risto 23:53 ice time.

-but Dahlin only 15:45 ice time 

Forwards: -Despite the goals scored, Sheary and Mittlestadt both about 9:20 ice time..and both with about 1.5 minutes on the PP, so they would get just under 8:00 even strength for the game.

-Sabotka 16:14 ice time (about 14:00 even strength), even Larson 14:01 ice time (about 9 minutes even strength)

Its just game one, but it will be interesting to see how much everyone is used going forward.

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

16m for Dahlin and 25 for McCabe is asinine 

I bet a lot that much of that difference was in the 3rd period when, as @Taro T pointed out, they were defending a 2 goal lead.

Not to worry, my friend. 

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

16m for Dahlin and 25 for McCabe is asinine 

Would you really want to replay this game and give Dahlin 26 minutes? RaKru knows what he's doing. He's already hinted at sheltering Eichel a bit from the mantle of "leadership." And Jack is in his fifth season.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Dude.  They won. Handily. 

Right I'm not complaining about that, but it's not a wild thing to say that Dahlin is significantly better than McCabe. I wouldn't trade the result, and it's one game so maybe the matchups and Krueger's first game dictated this; I'm not condemning him I just hope it's not a theme 

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

OK. I think for a very good reason. Dahlin should not get the minutes he got last season, IMHO. At least not early in the season.

Dahlin was our best defender last season, with the possible exception of Montour. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

OK. I think for a very good reason. Dahlin should not get the minutes he got last season, IMHO. At least not early in the season.

The thing is young guys are better now than ever before. This isn't the 90s or even early 2000s where you have to ease them in, especially not a sophomore and especially not Dahlin

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Would you really want to replay this game and give Dahlin 26 minutes? RaKru knows what he's doing. He's already hinted at sheltering Eichel a bit from the mantle of "leadership." And Jack is in his fifth season.

He's not gonna do that with ice-time. Jack had more today than his average last year. 

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I’m not complaining about it tonight, but those ice time numbers are going to need to even out.  I’d honestly ideally like to see the top 4 get pretty even ice time with everyone between 20-22 mins per night.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is a new season, new coach and new system. 

Was Dahlin our best defensive defenseman last season? I don't think so.

Ok, but isn't the inherent logic in the argument that your best overall players 5 v 5 players should play the most 5 v 5 ice time? I'm not looking to reshuffle the game we just played I'm just speaking in general moving forward. 

If Dahlin is better than McCabe, he should play more. I feel like that's a given. If you want to argue McCabe is a better all around player, that's a different matter. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

By all accounts Dahlin had a lackadaisical preseason, so perhaps RK was limiting his ice time because he wasn't sure which Dahlin was gonna show up, or bcuz he wanted to ease him into the game/season or perhaps it was to limit his ice time to motivate him to elevate his play to earn more.

Whatever the reason was, it worked. I wouldnt read too much into it personally with it being just the 1st game on the road vs a talented Pen team

3 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

By all accounts Dahlin had a lackadaisical preseason, so perhaps RK was limiting his ice time because he wasn't sure which Dahlin was gonna show up, or bcuz he wanted to ease him into the game/season or perhaps it was to limit his ice time to motivate him to elevate his play to earn more.

Whatever the reason was, it worked. I wouldnt read too much into it personally with it being just the 1st game on the road vs a talented Pen team

Right, it's totally fine for the game today. Or next next game, whatever. But if we are half way through the season and Dahlin isn't right there with the top minute eaters, there's an issue, whether with who's dolling out the minutes, or with Dahlin's play itself. 

Edited by Thorny

It’s probably just that Krueger is asking the D to do some different things than Housley, and Housley asked Dahlin to do different things than his HC in the SHL, and Dahlin may just be adjusting.  It’s ok if Krueger sees Dahlin as not quite fully on the same page yet and is giving him the time to settle in without overexposing him.  It’s going to work itself out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.