GDT: Buffalo @ Pittsburgh, 10-3-2019, 7pm EDT

WildCard

Just now, Taro T said:

A Knightrider sighting.  Cool.

But, remember, better than expected does not mean good. ?

His line got hosed last I looked. And it wasn't because of Johansson or Skinner. The second line was the lone "negative" I saw tonight, provided Risto doesn't continue to lead the team in ice time. 

• Like (+1) 1

What a pleasant experience seeing a Sabres team play three solid periods of aggressive hockey.  The lines are extremely well balanced and the defense was rock solid.  Above all, if this team forechecks all season as aggressively and effectively as they did tonight, we're going places.  It's been years since we've had anything resembling an effective forecheck, which is a critical and often overlooked requirement for success (I'm addressing this to you, Housley). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

His line got hosed last I looked. And it wasn't because of Johansson or Skinner. The second line was the lone "negative" I saw tonight, provided Risto doesn't continue to lead the team in ice time. 

McCabe led the team in TOI

Edited by #freejame

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

McCabe led the team in oi

My bad, meant to say at 5 v 5. 

Edit - McCabe actually edged Risto there, too. But they were both ahead by a bit, as partners.

Edited by Thorny

Team was aggressive and rewarded for it all game. Penguins defense was bad and they are a bottom 10 team. Only Malkin was any dangerous for them.  Start to finish the Sabres played their game. Something they never could do last year. 

McCabe gets the first star from me.  He was strong out there and seemed to quickly win every single puck battle he had.  Haven’t been optimistic with him in a couple years- maybe Housley really screwed with him.  Going to be a good season if he keeps that pace up.

Sheary finished.  Mittelstadt made things happen.  Don’t feel like they got many minutes?  Wished to see more from the trio.

Fourth line was great.  Okposo reminds me of stone hands Grier.  But not in the good way.  Would rather see Thompson or Rodrigues out there than him. 

The second line rose above expectations.  Sobotka is a completely different player out there.  He still seems bad to me though and can’t wait for him to be replaced.

Reinhart did really well.  Oloffson struggled to get open.  Eichel underwhelmed.  He is much better than he showed out there.

Joki and Scandella frighten me a little, but they had no glaring problems out there even against Malkin/Crosby.

I am just being super critical though.  Start to finish that was a good game to watch and overall the team was enjoyable to watch.  No struggles or problems.  The inability to breakout has suddenly disappeared and with a handful of stretch passes and breakaways to boot.  Where on earth did that come from? They bury some of those and the score runs away.  If Eichel meets his potential the score runs away too, and he will in time.

Had a lot of faith in Krueger. He didn’t let me down.  He gave full praise to the players in the post game and I’m sure they took it to heart.  Can’t wait for Saturday

• Like (+1) 2

The team played with a cohesive integrity not seen in many years.

If I had to describe it simply, I'd say they were "well coached."

And it was consistent throughout the lineup for 3 periods.

Very encouraging start.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A Knightrider sighting.  Cool.

But, remember, better than expected does not mean good. ?

I’ve got 4 kids on 3 different teams at this point.   But if they are actually good, there might even be mini Knightriders that might join. That was impressive. 

And no, I did not go so far as to say he was good.  ?

Edited by Knightrider
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

McCabe certainly played up to getting that 'A' on his jersey. Star of the game.

It was kind of weird, this hockey was duller than last year and a little on the boring side from time to time but it WON and won well. It wasn't Bylsma hockey, but it certainly was methodical, deliberate, we had a good game plan and there was solid defensive responsibility. In many ways this hockey reminded me of the way Vegas played when they first came in and we all know how far that took them. 

I'm going to be curious to see if we play every game like this, or if we "live the game" as Kreuger put it and we see different styles and game plans depending on our opponent.

Excellent penalty killing, power play shows real potential. Sobodka was just fine - good even. Yes, I said that. Risto only roamed out of position once that I saw and the D pairings all looked solid. Hutton looks much better playing in what appeared to be a defensive system.

Miller is a really good hockey player and we win that trade big time.

This is VERY encouraging. It might be less exciting, it might be slower, but it might also WIN.

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

McCabe certainly played up to getting that 'A' on his jersey. Star of the game.

It was kind of weird, this hockey was duller than last year and a little on the boring side from time to time but it WON and won well. It wasn't Bylsma hockey, but it certainly was methodical, deliberate, we had a good game plan and there was solid defensive responsibility. In many ways this hockey reminded me of the way Vegas played when they first came in and we all know how far that took them. 

I'm going to be curious to see if we play every game like this, or if we "live the game" as Kreuger put it and we see different styles and game plans depending on our opponent.

Excellent penalty killing, power play shows real potential. Sobodka was just fine - good even. Yes, I said that. Risto only roamed out of position once that I saw and the D pairings all looked solid. Hutton looks much better playing in what appeared to be a defensive system.

Miller is a really good hockey player and we win that trade big time.

This is VERY encouraging. It might be less exciting, it might be slower, but it might also WIN.

We caused a bunch of turnovers and forechecked like crazy. Not to mention all the breakaways. How was this game boring and dull?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

We caused a bunch of turnovers and forechecked like crazy. Not to mention all the breakaways. How was this game boring and dull?

I'm not sure either...if Murray didn't stand on his head the final could have been 7 or 8-1 easily.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Sounds like Miller is legit

A defenseman who actually understands where to be in his own zone, doesn't pass the puck directly to the other team in front of our net when under no pressure and actually has some awareness so his man isnt standing 5 feet away all alone for easy tap ins...amazing how much we have missed one of them...

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm actually surprised Dahlin was 5th among the D in both overall ice time and at 5 v 5. 

Overall, he didn't get any PK time.  That cut down some of his totals.

And Scandella and Jokiharju ended up with Eichel's line a lot.  Which makes the 5v5 ice time thing merely surprising rather than shocking. Though that pairing being Eichel's seemingly typical pairing was surprising.

This looks really nice. The higher danger chances really stand out. 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Overall, he didn't get any PK time.  That cut down some of his totals.

And Scandella and Jokiharju ended up with Eichel's line a lot.  Which makes the 5v5 ice time thing merely surprising rather than shocking. Though that pairing being Eichel's seemingly typical pairing was surprising.

Ya, it's going to have to change, Dahlin can't be 5th. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hutton looks much better playing in what appeared to be a defensive system.

Hutton is a good goalie who often looked bad last year because he was called on, night after night, to attempt to carry the team defensively.  It wore on him big time.  We were always being outshot and took huge chunks of time (periods) off much more often than we did anything effectively.  "Thank you" Phil Housley.  Krueger has already shown you up big time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This looks really nice. The higher danger chances really stand out. 

Ya, it's going to have to change, Dahlin can't be 5th. 

Really expect the limited ice time was a function of Krueger not fully trusting him in the Sabres end and not needing his offense in the 3rd.  And the lack of trust is probably organizational, as he didn't play any PK last year either. I'm OK with that.  He's 19 and still growing his game.  It's not a popular opinion, but I'm OK with that. For now.  (Should we be in March and he's still getting no PK duty, I'll take issue with it.)

Dahlin's pairing and Mittelstadt's line weren't out much in the 3rd.  Had they not been protecting a 2 goal lead, that likely would not have been the case.