Krueger on WGR 10/1/19

SDS

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

What if a player is not performing well, but the replacement is not performing any better?

One thing I think Botterill has done well is reduce the likelihood of that.

Right now the taxi squad includes Montour, Bogosian, Gilmour, Pilut, Rodrigues, Asplund, Thompson and Lazar: I think internal competition is real.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Again that's up to HCRK. He's going to have to decide what he needs to do. 

So, what if a player like Erod was being held accountable, but the fans are going nuts because RK is apparently an idiot for holding him out of a lineup? 

What if the accountability is internal to the team and opaque to the fans?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

One thing I think Botterill has done well is reduce the likelihood of that.

Right now the taxi squad includes Montour, Bogosian, Gilmour, Pilut, Rodrigues, Asplund, Thompson and Lazar: I think internal competition is real.

I'm looking forward to the next couple years with even more excitement. Add to your list players like Pekar, UPL, Bryson, Fitzgerald, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, and of course Cozens.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, pi2000 said:

RK mentioned that he's watched plenty of film from past games.  His objective was to figure out what each player does well so he's not trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

That said, I don't think his system is any better or any worse than Housley's or Bylsma's for that matter.    As a coach you need to be a good salesman, and RK has that ability to sell.... at least it appears that way early one.   The players just didn't completely buy into what Housley or Bylsma were selling.

Well, that definitely makes me feel better about it. Coming out the gate strong with a 2-0 start certainly helps as well. Hopefully they can keep it up.

15 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm looking forward to the next couple years with even more excitement. Add to your list players like Pekar, UPL, Bryson, Fitzgerald, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, and of course Cozens.

Don't forget Johnson.  He's a left handed version of Jokiharju. 

I hope in this next draft they really look heavily at forwards. Little thin on talent there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Doohickie said:

When I hear him talking he sounds like every other motivational speaker, and as a nearly 57 year old cynical guy, all I can think is what a crock.  But I remind myself that he's not coaching 57 year old guys, he's coaching guys in their teens and 20s.  I can see where he could get them to believe in themselves.  If it results in any success it could become an upward spiral.

Or not.

He really seems into the psychological and sociological aspects of team building. Very positive and not showing any doubt or indecision he has them really playing together. The passing is unbelievable and that just shows how much they have bought into his concepts.

In pre-season I noticed Tage Thompson do something no body else was doing, he took off with the puck and tried to go through several players, but lost it and the other team counter attacked for a scoring chance. I think that's why he isn't here now. 

On 10/02/2019 at 10:33 PM, Doohickie said:

When I hear him talking he sounds like every other motivational speaker, and as a nearly 57 year old cynical guy, all I can think is what a crock.  But I remind myself that he's not coaching 57 year old guys, he's coaching guys in their teens and 20s.  I can see where he could get them to believe in themselves.  If it results in any success it could become an upward spiral.

Or not.

The Ralph Krueger Kool-Aid is cherry flavored and it is delicious.

The team started drinking it on day 1.  Some of you have been drinking it since nearly then.  Being at the rink last night, I started chugging it around the end of the 1st period.  Again, it is delicious.

This team swarms and supports the puck.  It is fun to watch.  And these 2 games were not against last year's Otters.  98-0 ? .

• Like (+1) 4

So what is Ralph’s system? 

I listened to him say puck pressure, and playing strong away from the puck. It looks to me like they treat the other team having the puck like a football passing play. The player with the puck gets pressured by whoever is in the area while the over players play man coverage. So if everyone is covered the “QB” has to dump the puck away and that’s why we are seeing so many turn overs. Or something like that. At least that’s what it looks like they are doing. 

10 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So what is Ralph’s system? 

I listened to him say puck pressure, and playing strong away from the puck. It looks to me like they treat the other team having the puck like a football passing play. The player with the puck gets pressured by whoever is in the area while the over players play man coverage. So if everyone is covered the “QB” has to dump the puck away and that’s why we are seeing so many turn overs. Or something like that. At least that’s what it looks like they are doing. 

It helps they actually have their sticks on the ice for once actually trying to get the puck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.