McCabe and Johansson Named Alternate Captains

Brawndo

I like this.

McCabe is a good soldier and the new guy has the playoff umph, I agree with @IKnowPhysics on this and thanks for the highlights.

I still think that Samson is growing into a real leader on this team and in the room.  He doesn't need to wear a letter for that.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I still think that Samson is growing into a real leader on this team and in the room.  He doesn't need to wear a letter for that.

The impression I get is that Reinhart is Eichel's silent lieutenant/lackey. Eichel is the vocal rallier of the troops while Reinhart does the behind-the-scenes stuff like getting pucks for guys' milestones, picking up Eich's laundry, etc.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think there were some quotes in the Athletic article that focused on Kruger and there were a few quotes that stood out to me about how Jack struggled with the captaincy a bit last year? Maybe he didn't get enough support from Risto (who wanted out at the end of the year) , Okposo (who is probably eating himself up on the inside because he's a shell of his former self), and Bogo (who wasn't on the ice).

“Our young players got NHL experience,” the Sabres GM said. “So often now people talk about NHL experience only in a positive light. They talk about when someone scores a hat trick or when a team goes on a long playoff run. Well, some of our young NHL players have NHL experience that’s difficult. They’ve faced some adversity. I know a young player like Rasmus Dahlin will handle things differently this year. And that’s what we talked a lot this summer with them about learning from those experiences, what they need to do differently in certain spots. And I think they’re ready to take it. That includes our captain. Jack is a very talented player. He took being named captain very seriously last year. But like with any young captain, you go through different things. I think there was a sense of reflection last year about how he handled different things. Just like his game which he works on, I know he’ll be a better captain this year than he was last year even.’’

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Not really.  He's starting the year the way he finished the last, as a barely hanging on, though very overpaid, 4th line winger.

The only guy that could pull off that "leading from behind" role was Rob Ray and even that was in a much different era.

Would have been almost as unhappy with Krueger having Okposo still wear a letter as am with the Sobotka saga.

Does anybody know if these were coaches decisions or via player vote?

Leading from behind ?

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, inkman said:

Leading from behind ?

Ray may have led from behind, but I’ve seen McCabe lead WITH his behind on some pretty great checks!

Note: This is the type of in depth analysis you can only find on SabreSpace.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

The impression I get is that Reinhart is Eichel's silent lieutenant/lackey. Eichel is the vocal rallier of the troops while Reinhart does the behind-the-scenes stuff like getting pucks for guys' milestones, picking up Eich's laundry, etc.

...and airing up the tires on the tandem.

• Haha (+1) 2

A little background on Johansson that a friend sent me:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2019/2/1/18205563/what-should-the-devils-do-with-marcus-johansson-nhl-trade-deadline-2019

He's a Devil's fan; the link is an article that looks at the "should we trade him or not" question last spring (as you know, they traded him to Boston where he went on a deep Cup run).  But it gives some general impressions of what the Devils thought of him.

In his time in New Jersey, when he’s been on the ice he’s actually been a decently productive player and decently close to his career production rates. He’s up to just a shade under a half point per game in his time in New Jersey. But between his injuries last season and the underperformance of the team as a whole this season, that production has mostly flown under the radar.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.