Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

What a joke the NHL is.

This was going to be a disaster and now it is.  Just cancel the whole damn thing already.  Nobody cares.

Speak for yourself. I'm counting every day until sports come back.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What a joke the NHL is.

This was going to be a disaster and now it is.  Just cancel the whole damn thing already.  Nobody cares.

The NHL?  You do realize that every sports league is doing the same exact thing right now.  Hell, the NBA is going to throw everybody into one area.  That area just happens to be in the previously mentioned Florida.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

The NHL?  You do realize that every sports league is doing the same exact thing right now.  Hell, the NBA is going to throw everybody into one area.  That area just happens to be in the previously mentioned Florida.

Yes, I do.  They are all a joke, but my response was directly about the NHL joke of a league situation.  The NBA is even worse.

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yes, I do.  They are all a joke, but my response was directly about the NHL joke of a league situation.  The NBA is even worse.

And beyond sports, a good portion of the country is seeing right now just how tricky reopening can be.  Just about everyone is operating with blindfolds on right now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, shrader said:

And beyond sports, a good portion of the country is seeing right now just how tricky reopening can be.  Just about everyone is operating with blindfolds on right now.

Tricky? What were seeing is the result of all the places that were in such a hurry to reopen reaping the outcome. Likely another spike in a few weeks from the protests.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I think things are opening up way to fast and way to much.  Look around the world at what is happening.  By November when COVID is back with a vengence it will make this first go round look like kiddies day at the Ex.  That's one thing that The Great Satan did right ... cancelling the Ex.

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

There's just no way this is going to work.

Can you imagine the gnashing of teeth if a team loses a bunch of players to testing positive before a game and it costs them a win, or a series, or the Cup?

Just cancel the season.

Do you know how they're handling contact tracing? To do it right, if a player tests positive, then all of his close contacts would have to be in quarantine for 14 days. Or maybe daily testing supercedes that.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think things are opening up way to fast and way to much.  Look around the world at what is happening.  By November when COVID is back with a vengence it will make this first go round look like kiddies day at the Ex.  That's one thing that The Great Satan did right ... cancelling the Ex.

At least in the U.S., it never went away. We modestly flattened the curve, but now there's clear evidence a second wave (or resurgence of the first wave) is beginning. Increasing positivity rates and hospital usage are telling.

19 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

At least in the U.S., it never went away. We modestly flattened the curve, but now there's clear evidence a second wave (or resurgence of the first wave) is beginning. Increasing positivity rates and hospital usage are telling.

Because only some states acted properly to flatten the curve, and we can't prevent interstate travel.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because only some states acted properly to flatten the curve, and we can't prevent interstate travel.

We prevented inter provincial travel here, except for essential services, and it helped.  Why can't you guys close state borders, except for essential services?  Oh, yeah, you have that guy in charge.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

We prevented inter provincial travel here, except for essential services, and it helped.  Why can't you guys close state borders, except for essential services?  Oh, yeah, you have that guy in charge.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

We closed inter provincial borders here in NS and I am pretty sure everywhere in Canada, except for essential services, and it helped.  Why could you not do the same down there?  Oh, right ... you have 'that guy' in charge down there.

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It has nothing to do with who is in charge.  Interstate travel is a right protected by at least two provisions in the Constitution.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It has nothing to do with who is in charge.  Interstate travel is a right protected by at least two provisions in the Constitution.

Same here, or similar provisions and understandings, but the governments declared a state of emergency which gave certain powers to the medical officers in eaxh province.  One being restrictions on travel.  We are not so bent out of shape by our goivernments temporarily taking away some liberties up here as you guys are.

I think we may be continuing this in the politics club ... LOL!!

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Same here, or similar provisions and understandings, but the governments declared a state of emergency which gave certain powers to the medical officers in eaxh province.  One being restrictions on travel.  We are not so bent out of shape by our goivernments temporarily taking away some liberties up here as you guys are.

I think we may be continuing this in the politics club ... LOL!!

It's not a matter of politics.  Freedom of movement among the several states is a fundamental right, and that's that. We do not have any exception to or limit on that right, as we do on other rights enumerated in the Constitution.  It may be limited only through the use of due process (e.g. a criminal conviction).

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's not a matter of politics.  Freedom of movement among the several states is a fundamental right, and that's that. We do not have any exception to or limit on that right, as we do on other rights enumerated in the Constitution.  It may be limited only through the use of due process (e.g. a criminal conviction).

In the US, even during a state of emergency, Interstate travel restrictions are not possible?

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

In the US, even during a state of emergency, Interstate travel restrictions are not possible?

Until our legal system is muzzled, this would not be possible. The day the restrictions begin, there will be hundreds of lawsuits (likely from individual state AGs). I think states can enact 14 day quarantines for anyone entering them, but it’s extremely hard to enforce them. Who’s to say people are just driving through your state? At least with air travel, you know where their final destination is and can quarantine as necessary. Florida did this from flight from NY. Now, municipalities are starving for tax revenue, so won’t close their borders. 

6 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm going to Vermont next month.  I have to have documentation of a negative test or quarantine for 2 weeks or I can't go.  I don't think citing Gibbons v. Ogden to a State Trooper is going to be super helpful.

I don't think the state trooper can actually require you to quarantine.

Not that I have any particular training in this field or anything...

8 hours ago, kas23 said:

but it’s extremely hard to enforce them.

And there we go.  Nailed it.   These ideas are great, but unsusceptible of enforcement.

Edited by Eleven

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think the state trooper can actually require you to quarantine.

Not that I have any particular training in this field or anything...

And there we go.  Nailed it.   These ideas are great, but unsusceptible of enforcement.

It would only be an added charge if there was a reason to pull him over to begin with. There aren't blockades at the state boarders.

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It would only be an added charge if there was a reason to pull him over to begin with. There aren't blockades at the state boarders.

It wouldn't be an enforceable added charge, and if someone is a boarder, they presumably already live there.  

Anyway.

Hockey, anyone?

• Haha (+1) 3

Excellent article in the Athletic about some serious issues the NHL is facing as it prepares to resume the season:  https://theathletic.com/1883384/2020/06/20/guys-are-not-happy-how-the-nhls-positive-tests-will-impact-return-to-play/

Several NHL player agents surveyed by The Athletic this week indicated that more and more of their players are troubled by the idea of returning to play in a hub city environment. One prominent agent estimated that 35 to 40 percent of players were on the fence. Another suggested it was even higher than that.

But the other, less discussed issue is there may not be a lot to gain financially given players have already collected most of their paychecks for the season and playoff games without fans in attendance will not be big revenue generators.

While returning to play could save them an additional 7 or 8 percent of their salaries by way of escrow deductions thanks to making television and sponsorship agreements whole, the net impact for players on the low end of the salary scale could be trading two or three months in a bubble environment for $20,000 or $30,000.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.