Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

Ya, it was a downer not having the full cap to work with but kudos to Chevy and Maurice.

They both did a hell of a job this year with everything that went on.

Some people around here hate Maurice and want him gone yesterday but here is what former assistant coach Tood Woodcroft (just took a college HC job) had to say about Maurice...

"Paul gave me more than I ever deserved. This guy's the best. I would take a bullet in the face for that man, that's how strong I feel about Paul. For me to leave that safety, that was not easy."

"Ken Burns could do a documentary on the stuff that happened this year. But the leadership of Chevy and Paul...there was never an excuse that we were gonna accept things because X happened. And then it was in the player's hands."

He also says good friend and mentor Paul Maurice convinced him to go for it.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

NH governor confirms speaking with Gary Bettman about hosting NHL games.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/17/nh-governor-chris-sununu-confirms-speaking-to-nhl-on-the-table/

That's nice.

The border still is closed.  There will be no NHL games in New Hampshire, New Brunswick, or New Zealand.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I dont understand why they wont give the option to people holding tickets a chance to refund. if people want to wait it out, they should be able to.

However there is 0 chance I'm going to a stadium until a cure/vaccine is found. Why not give me back my 1500 dollars on the tickets I bought 

At this point I can say with absolute certainty, I will never pre-order a ticket again. These teams have enough money, they dont need to hold mine too

Edited by miles

51 minutes ago, miles said:

However there is 0 chance I'm going to a stadium until a cure/vaccine is found. Why not give me back my 1500 dollars on the tickets I bought 

The first sentence answers the second.

I'm not saying it's right; I'm saying that's the reason why.

Edited by Eleven

53 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The first sentence answers the second.

I'm not saying it's right; I'm saying that's the reason why.

yeah, but realistically they are not going to be played in front of audience. they are holding onto the money for nothing. pretty soon the player's contracts will end. they have to decide before then

3 minutes ago, miles said:

yeah, but realistically they are not going to be played in front of audience. they are holding onto the money for nothing. pretty soon the player's contracts will end. they have to decide before then

Not surprising they haven't announced what they're doing yet as they still don't know what the league is doing.

They'll almost definitely let people roll money paid for unplayed games on seasons (& tix bought directly through the team) into tix for next season.  No idea what they will do about tix that have been transferred by the original purchaser to another person (either through stub hub or like Tom Webster did for the Meetup).

Would expect they'll have to refund money for those that don't want to roll over to next season.  But the logistics are going to be interesting.

Just now, Taro T said:

Not surprising they haven't announced what they're doing yet as they still don't know what the league is doing.

They'll almost definitely let people roll money paid for unplayed games on seasons (& tix bought directly through the team) into tix for next season.  No idea what they will do about tix that have been transferred by the original purchaser to another person (either through stub hub or like Tom Webster did for the Meetup).

Would expect they'll have to refund money for those that don't want to roll over to next season.  But the logistics are going to be interesting.

Yup I’d guess for most it will be a roll into next season with perhaps a bonus. (For instance you are owed $750 so they give you $1000 toward next year) Otherwise Id guess they’ll give you the $750 minus $100 (in process fees) straight up. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Yup I’d guess for most it will be a roll into next season with perhaps a bonus. (For instance you are owed $750 so they give you $1000 toward next year) Otherwise Id guess they’ll give you the $750 minus $100 (in process fees) straight up. 

If the game is unplayed or not in front of audience it better be 100% refund including fees. I dont see how they Could justify charging you for literally nothing. 

Edited by miles

5 hours ago, miles said:

If the game is unplayed or not in front of audience it better be 100% refund including fees. I dont see how they Could justify charging you for literally nothing. 

Did you pay for any travel to these games at all? You’ll find a very similar practice from the airlines, only giving the money back in vouchers. Sure, some may eventually fight it, but it’s a lot of effort with very little return. 

11 hours ago, shrader said:

Did you pay for any travel to these games at all? You’ll find a very similar practice from the airlines, only giving the money back in vouchers. Sure, some may eventually fight it, but it’s a lot of effort with very little return. 

I got 100% refund on my non refundable hotel stay to buffalo for the games at the end of march. 

I have no problem calling my credit card company and explaining what is going on and doing a chargeback.  Even if it means I would never be able to buy tickets again.

Also, mlb is now refunding games and not waiting 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-28/mlb-reverses-ticket-policy-clearing-way-fans-refunds-coronavirus%3f_amp=true

It's time for the nhl to step up 

3 hours ago, miles said:

I got 100% refund on my non refundable hotel stay to buffalo for the games at the end of march. 

I have no problem calling my credit card company and explaining what is going on and doing a chargeback.  Even if it means I would never be able to buy tickets again.

Also, mlb is now refunding games and not waiting 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-28/mlb-reverses-ticket-policy-clearing-way-fans-refunds-coronavirus%3f_amp=true

It's time for the nhl to step up 

Baseball has accepted that the April games will never be made up (May as well in all likelihood) as there is no way to extend the season beyond it's current end date due to weather in 1/2 the country.

The NBA & NHL are still clinging to the fantasy that they can finish out the current season.  Until they throw in the towel, there will be no refunds or adjustments to accounts.  My friends that follow bounceyball are convinced that the NBA will complete their season somehow.  If they (the NBA) don't give up, the NHL likely won't either.

Bob Costas is on CNN now saying that widespread and rapid testing will be the key to sports being able to return. He talks about the public relations disaster (his words) the leagues will suffer if professional athletes are getting tested before everyone in society who needs a test is able to get one. Dr. Birx has said what we need is a testing breakthrough, a rapid and reliable antigen test. Think people lining up to go to work and all being tested and getting results in a matter of minutes.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Baseball has accepted that the April games will never be made up (May as well in all likelihood) as there is no way to extend the season beyond it's current end date due to weather in 1/2 the country.

The NBA & NHL are still clinging to the fantasy that they can finish out the current season.  Until they throw in the towel, there will be no refunds or adjustments to accounts.  My friends that follow bounceyball are convinced that the NBA will complete their season somehow.  If they (the NBA) don't give up, the NHL likely won't either.

I’m not paying a dime until they make a choice. 

44 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sportsnet article about Mark Scheifele’s thoughts on some other players.

He thinks Eichel is the league MVP in the sense of value to his team.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-mark-scheifele-says-sabres-jack-eichel-deserves-hart-trophy/

The money quote:

On Jack Eichel:
“Whenever we play Buffalo, he’s the first guy we look to try to nullify. He’s a monster in the offensive end and an absolute pain to play against when you’re trying to score. He can do it all. He’s one of the most complete forwards in the game. And he doesn’t take a shift off.

I don’t think Jack’s play this year has got enough attention. He’s no longer just an elite talent, he’s an elite player. This was the year he truly arrived.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The money quote:

On Jack Eichel:
“Whenever we play Buffalo, he’s the first guy we look to try to nullify. He’s a monster in the offensive end and an absolute pain to play against when you’re trying to score. He can do it all. He’s one of the most complete forwards in the game. And he doesn’t take a shift off.

I don’t think Jack’s play this year has got enough attention. He’s no longer just an elite talent, he’s an elite player. This was the year he truly arrived.

The Buffalo News article, for those with access, has more detail from Scheifele.  He breaks down a video of one play against Chicago:  

"It’s almost like Jack has the puck already and he’s actually just trying to beat the Blackhawks’ defender. Look at the way he feints his hips toward the boards, he wants the D-man to drop the puck to his trailing teammate. He’s a few seconds ahead of everyone on the ice. Then he beats future Hall of Famer Duncan Keith and draws the pokecheck out of the goalie before putting the puck in the net. There’s like 15 small things that happen in that play that most guys in the league can’t do."

That quote is what impressed me most.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/04/30/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichel-hart-trophy-mark-scheifele/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.