Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Again I ask where all the tests are going to come from to test the baseball players and staff. Naive question, right?

Not at all.  I've wondered more than once how and why basketball players were able to be tested so quickly.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

There are probably plenty of rinks in rural Ontario / Quebec that they could use in the Northeast if they're going the crowdless route.

Why not go to Placid for the Adams Division home games?

Sparsely populated town used to hosting large groups of people with rink that annually hosts the ECAC Final 4.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why not go to Placid for the Adams Division home games?

Sparsely populated town used to hosting large groups of people with rink that annually hosts the ECAC Final 4.

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the whole thing. We're talking August, right? If the country's on a more normal footing by then, what's the need to have games in remote locations? Why not Boston or Toronto? It smacks of something unsavory. Let's take it out to the sticks. When we finally get through this, if I live in Lake Placid, I'm not rolling out the welcome mat for a big hockey tournament. Remember, the virus isn't going to be defeated until enough people are immune from vaccination or the disease itself. That won't be August.

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

When we finally get through this, if I live in Lake Placid, I'm not rolling out the welcome mat for a big hockey tournament. Remember, the virus isn't going to be defeated until enough people are immune from vaccination or the disease itself. That won't be August.

If we're through this in August, the folks of Lake Placid would absolutely, definitely, and without hesitation roll out the welcome mat for the playoffs.  What their ancestors did to land the 1932 Olympics was amazing^ and that's well before the Olympics were anything like what they are now.

Like you, I don't think we'll be ready for live sports in August.

^Excellent book that covers this topic and more about the '32 Olympics:  https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Kings-Winter-Olympics-Fastest/dp/1592409091

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the whole thing. We're talking August, right? If the country's on a more normal footing by then, what's the need to have games in remote locations? Why not Boston or Toronto? It smacks of something unsavory. Let's take it out to the sticks. When we finally get through this, if I live in Lake Placid, I'm not rolling out the welcome mat for a big hockey tournament. Remember, the virus isn't going to be defeated until enough people are immune from vaccination or the disease itself. That won't be August.

We'll see hockey in Lake Placid before we see it in MSG.  (Note: didn't say NHL hockey, but hockey.)

MSG will be one of the last places opened as it sits atop a massive train station in one of the hardest hit cities in the world.  Hoping MSG gets opened soon.

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If we're through this in August, the folks of Lake Placid would absolutely, definitely, and without hesitation roll out the welcome mat for the playoffs.  What their ancestors did to land the 1932 Olympics was amazing^ and that's well before the Olympics were anything like what they are now.

Like you, I don't think we'll be ready for live sports in August.

^Excellent book that covers this topic and more about the '32 Olympics:  https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Kings-Winter-Olympics-Fastest/dp/1592409091

I am still more optimistic.  Right now, there is more brainpower being directed at this than any other issue since WWII and there are far better tools available now than there were 75 years ago.

Once the pathway / mechanism for this virus to cause its damage is better understood, a cure (or a mitigation of the symptoms at a minimum) won't be far behind.  And, while ideally a vaccine and / or eradication of the virus come soon; that isn't necessary to resume our lives.  Having a treatment that reduces the effects of this to something comparable to that of the common cold and also having social distancing protocols become more normalized would be sufficient to take our lives out of their holding pattern.  Am optimistic that we're close to both being realized. 

• Like (+1) 1

Despite being and hour from Boston, Covid cases have been mercifully few here in Manchester. Will that matter? We'll see. But at least the building is media ready. Are there enough hotel rooms? We had a nice spurt of hotel construction right before things went to s**t. I don't know if it's enough, but I'd wager there are more hotel rooms here than North Dakota.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-new-hampshire-what-know-leagues-possible-return/163izo47vgx4m12qq7rvk1vjad

SNHU Arena

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybe the best place for this ...  a really good story ...  today, yesterday and tomorrow, all in one.   One of my sons “hockey camped” here.  It is Godly wonderful.

https://theathletic.com/1698361/2020/04/06/hockey-progeny-in-a-b-c-town-the-sons-of-5-former-nhlers-grab-the-spotlight/

I hope there‘s no paywall after a few days.  @dudacek, @Thorny

Edited by Neo
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great piece. Nice community. The Vees are Celtics, Yankees, Canadiens of their league.
For some reason it made me think of the inherent flaw in “Because Buffalo” and all similar discussions. Home and comfort for many current and former NHL players is an environment like this.

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

I can’t wrap my head around this topic yet. Getting a procedure done on Friday. I’m scared as hell. See u on the backside. 

Stay strong, stay confident.  We've got some seriously good medical personnel for such a small market.  They'll get you through it.

Looking forward to having you back here next week.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

December?  Just a guess.

Hope all is well in the Heartland of Canada.

I haven't worked since the 15th of March and don't go back until the 19th of May...longer if I can get a leave of absence...

Manitoba has 250 cases and 5 deaths and most are adhering to provincial restrictions. I keep up to date on all provinces and most of the states.........some are worse than others but I can't believe you know who wants to start things up already.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I haven't worked since the 15th of March and don't go back until the 19th of May...longer if I can get a leave of absence...

Manitoba has 250 cases and 5 deaths and most are adhering to provincial restrictions. I keep up to date on all provinces and most of the states.........some are worse than others but I can't believe you know who wants to start things up already.

That's like one fifth of the population!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

That's like one fifth of the population!

Closer to 0.0183% but it would be a lot more if they did more testing I am sure. I work at an essential service in Winnipeg but live 20 minutes north of the city on a gravel road with not many neighbours. Boss phoned today and offered a layoff where I don't lose seniority if I want it (I have COPD). I will think seriously about it.

Edited by Ducky

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.