Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

1 minute ago, Radar said:

I hope so. I want him here but at 6+ for 6+ years? That would be hard.

Not sure how many ways there is to say this: look at what guys of similar age, role, contract status and production have signed for.

If we get him at 6+ for 6+ years, it will be at a market discount.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Not sure how many ways there is to say this: look at what guys of similar age, role, contract status and production have signed for.

If we get him at 6+ for 6+ years, it will be at a market discount.

I'm not disagreeing. Like I said the cap will probably continue up. I prefer more per year and say five years but probably player probably wants term.

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They can have him. He's never having this good of a season again, and it's not even that good

It takes a potential 2C off the UFA market though and there is a strong possibility that Haula extends with Florida. 

That decreases the potential pool of centers available to the Sabres July 1st 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It takes a potential 2C off the UFA market though and there is a strong possibility that Haula extends with Florida. 

That decreases the potential pool of centers available to the Sabres July 1st 

If the Sabres are going to truly upgrade 2C, they are going to have to give up a D-man.  FA isn't likely to get it done.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If the Sabres are going to truly upgrade 2C, they are going to have to give up a D-man.  FA isn't likely to get it done.

Nor should it (the FA). At least, from the opposition GM's point of view. If I'm a GM I might consider Larry. But none of the rest of the UFAs interest me.

The question is: is that D a Pilut or a Joker or a Risto? What are we willing to do for our 2C?

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Agreed, however the Sabres currently have a GM that is reluctant to do so. 

Reluctant is fine.  But at some point he has to make that move.  He can't sit on his hands until Mittelstadt &/or Cozens is finally ready to step into that role.

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Nor should it (the FA). At least, from the opposition GM's point of view. If I'm a GM I might consider Larry. But none of the rest of the UFAs interest me.

The question is: is that D a Pilut or a Joker or a Risto? What are we willing to do for our 2C?

IMHO, that D-man going out is one of Ristolainen, Montour, or Miller.  Pilut doesn't get it done.  Nor, again IMHO, does the potential that Jokiharju's exhibited.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, that D-man going out is one of Ristolainen, Montour, or Miller.  Pilut doesn't get it done.  Nor, again IMHO, does the potential that Jokiharju's exhibited.

To clarify on my side: the names are placeholders for levels. Pilut - ready to contribute but inconsequential, Joker - someone to build around potentially, or Risto - established. Pilut and Joker levels both require much more in addition. Risto/established D needs a sweetener, depending on the target.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

To clarify on my side: the names are placeholders for levels. Pilut - ready to contribute but inconsequential, Joker - someone to build around potentially, or Risto - established. Pilut and Joker levels both require much more in addition. Risto/established D needs a sweetener, depending on the target.

Um, pretty sure all 3 guys (Ristolainen, Montour, & Miller) all fit your Risto mold.  And, to get the sort of quality we're hoping for, there likely will be something else going outbound.

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Um, pretty sure all 3 guys (Ristolainen, Montour, & Miller) all fit your Risto mold.  And, to get the sort of quality we're hoping for, there likely will be something else going outbound.

Yes, each of those is the Risto/vet mold, although Miller requires more additional chips to get the 2C. They're all + a pick or two to get a legit 2C with term, in return.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Always wanted Muzzin. That deal takes him until he's 36. Seems long but idk, maybe Muzzin's style let's him play that long. Seems a little much for him though at his age

I thought he was already showing signs of slowing down so this contract term might bite them down the road but they had no choice, their D sucks.  The Morgan Reilly injury has exposed the lack of D depth on that team severely. 

Half your cap on 4 forwards is a recipe for disaster. One I hope we don't follow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.