Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

I think there's a combination of skill, strength, speed and experience that allow a few players here and there to go on forever.  Jagr was like that.  Ovi looks like he might  the same.  Sure, he's losing a step here or there no doubt, but he knows where to be to put himself in a position to score.  He knows how to pick his battles but avoid injury.  His experience gives him a hockey IQ that few players possess.  There may come a time when it all falls apart but he's been holding it together for years.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I'm mostly joking, but man, it's weird that he's doing this kind of stuff at 34 when he should be losing a step. But maybe he's just got that dad strength or something. 

Well, I think he has lost a step in other ways, it's just that his shot is still lethal and the team around him enables him to maximize it. He doesn't skate quite like he used to and his physical game isn't anywhere close to where it once was. But he's still smart, can find the right spots, and let it rip. 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well, I think he has lost a step in other ways, it's just that his shot is still lethal and the team around him enables him to maximize it. He doesn't skate quite like he used to and his physical game isn't anywhere close to where it once was. But he's still smart, can find the right spots, and let it rip. 

Which feeds into your belief that he can break Gretzky's record, right? That stuff can further deteriorate but he'll still be able to beat goalies clean

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Clifford is a good energy guy, he'll help the Leafs as will Campbell who should replace Hutchinson (3.66 GAA, 0.886 sv%) as Anderson's backup.    Smart calculated move.   

Trevor Moore from Thousand Oaks, CA heads home to SoCal where he played youth hockey for the LA Selects (now Jr. Kings).   Excellent hands, played +25 games with the Leafs each of the past two seasons.

The conditional 3rd is a 2nd if they resign Clifford or Campbell wins a certain amount of games for them.  Good trade for Leafs sad to say.

Lehner was really good for Chicago tonight despite a loss in OT. Have to wondered how he got fixed by leaving and why this franchise couldn't fix him itself?  If he was here now, playing as he is playing, we'd still be in the race. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The conditional 3rd is a 2nd if they resign Clifford or Campbell wins a certain amount of games for them.  Good trade for Leafs sad to say.

Lehner was really good for Chicago tonight despite a loss in OT. Have to wondered how he got fixed by leaving and why this franchise couldn't fix him itself?  If he was here now, playing as he is playing, we'd still be in the race. 

He didn’t get fixed by leaving. He got fixed because he took the time to focus on himself and his issues. 

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Toronto addressing needs, not surprised.

But aren't they doing it wrong? Shouldn't they be waiting for the market to set itself and evaluate every possible option first before making a move?

Campbell is an upgrade over Hutch, but there are very few who aren't right now, but how much of an upgrade I don't know

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But aren't they doing it wrong? Shouldn't they be waiting for the market to set itself and evaluate every possible option first before making a move?

Campbell is an upgrade over Hutch, but there are very few who aren't right now, but how much of an upgrade I don't know

Touche'

Not sure on the goaltending choice either. But grabbing Kyle Clifford @ 50% retained was a solid move imo.

I guess we'll see how it works out for them I guess. They still need to address defense imo.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Touche'

Not sure on the goaltending choice either. But grabbing Kyle Clifford @ 50% retained was a solid move imo.

I guess we'll see how it works out for them I guess. They still need to address defense imo.

Clifford gives them playoff experience, but is that really an issue for them? Their 2 biggest problems are defence and goaltending. They picked up a backup goalie who is better then the guy they currently have (that's not saying much though) so it's hard to say if this is such a great deal although they didn't spend much to do it, and if they sound Hutch down, it's a wash cap wise....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

He didn’t get fixed by leaving. He got fixed because he took the time to focus on himself and his issues. 

So you're saying he simply did it himself in one off season. Maybe, but i'd still suggest our organization failed in recognizing, acknowledging and helping treat his needs/problems. If he could "fix" it in one off season, surely we as an organization could have done a better job. There are things we will never know, but the timing and coincidence of it can't just be dismissed. This organization failed on him as it fails on it's fans every season. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Clifford gives them playoff experience, but is that really an issue for them? Their 2 biggest problems are defence and goaltending. They picked up a backup goalie who is better then the guy they currently have (that's not saying much though) so it's hard to say if this is such a great deal although they didn't spend much to do it, and if they sound Hutch down, it's a wash cap wise....

It's a good deal because they didn't give up much. I saw Campbell play earlier in the year. he can be decent, and they miss Kadri big time so Clifford helps in the grit area as well. D is still the achilles though no question. Hope it kills them and they miss the playoffs. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's only because Olofsson got hurt. Still that's what Dahlin can look like next season. 

Makar was actually 21 for the majority of this season, so to put that in perspective that’s basically Dahlin 2 years from now. 

Dahlin is on a 56 point pace at 19 (What Jack put up) on a crap team, the same age Makar was playing in Hockey East. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is the part I don't get without some context; how was the goalie in harm's way?

Player jamming away at a puck in his pads.  Not harms way.

I liken it to a power forward giving a Jeff Skinner space to do his thing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.