Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Or maybe it's about whether certain expectations of certain groups of people are reasonable, and about whether and how those expectations may be voiced, and whether those with whom one disagrees can fairly be dismissed as bigots or hate/fear-mongerers.  All of these are political issues.  

And didn't you argue, during the not-so-glorious days of the debate over whether we should have a politics thread, that everything is political?

Sure sounds like something I would have said.  Politics certainly creeps its way into things, especially when people choose to make things about politics.  (I didn't, here.) 

However, this isn't inherently about politics.  It's about one person who has turned an in-between period segment from something that used to be sorta funny into a bully pulpit on all sorts of issues, many of which aren't political at all.  (Tell me how Don Cherry's outdated views on enforcers (see my link above) are political, for example.)  People are sick of Don Cherry's infectious presence in their hockey broadcasts.  In my case, and I suspect the cases of others, too, I got sick of his self-aggrandizement (how insecure must one be to wear those suits!) a long time ago.  He's gone and HNiC is better for it.

Don Cherry has been Don Cherry the good and the bad for 40 years on HNIC. That they have chosen to end his time now speaks more to the bottom line than any real moral outrage and acceptability . Ending him midseason, a old man clearly past his time rather than seasons end clearly to shame, the shame on those who enabled him for so many years. Don Cherry was the same person each of the forty years he on the program. It’s my opinion they would have been better to voice what he said as not what company stands for and was his private opinion stated simply this would be Don Cherrys final season. What indignation they have was far to late .    
Not a brave decision to toss a 85 year old man aside he clearly past his time 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Why are there so few Ukrainian hockey players?

I don't think it's much of a thing there.  I dated an ethnically Ukranian (Russian by birth) gal for quite a while.  No one in her family was into hockey at all.  Soccer, on the other hand, was huge.

4 minutes ago, millbank said:

Don Cherry has been Don Cherry the good and the bad for 40 years on HNIC. That they have chosen to end his time now speaks more to the bottom line than any real moral outrage and acceptability . Ending him midseason, a old man clearly past his time rather than seasons end clearly to shame, the shame on those who enabled him for so many years. Don Cherry was the same person each of the forty years he on the program. It’s my opinion they would have been better to voice what he said as not what company stands for and was his private opinion stated simply this would be Don Cherrys final season. What indignation they have was far to late .    
Not a brave decision to toss a 85 year old man aside he clearly past his time 

This isn't unfair in spirit.  They should have gotten rid of him quite a while ago.  But I disagree that he's been the same for 40 years.  I see a progression--again, starting with French Canadians, then European players, and then into a general rage about everything that isn't the Same As It Was Back In The Day.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think it's much of a thing there.  I dated an ethnically Ukranian (Russian by birth) gal for quite a while.  No one in her family was into hockey at all.  Soccer, on the other hand, was huge.

This isn't unfair.  They should have gotten rid of him quite a while ago.

Yes the very least after last season. He and his opinions are not new. Late in the game to be outraged now . 

1 minute ago, millbank said:

Yes the very least after last season. He and his opinions are not new. Late in the game to be outraged now . 

Yes, but everything reaches its critical mass, and nothing reaches it until it's actually reached.  I guess in this case, it was finally too many slipcovers for the sofa.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This isn't unfair in spirit.  They should have gotten rid of him quite a while ago.  But I disagree that he's been the same for 40 years.  I see a progression--again, starting with French Canadians, then European players, and then into a general rage about everything that isn't the Same As It Was Back In The Day.

Yea, I “enjoyed” Cherry for about 4-5 years back in the early to mid 90’s. But I grew tired of him and his shtick. Like you said, HNIC is better now. Move on ...

BWAHAHAHAHAAA  Can you imagine if he were in a position where he had to praise Russian players?

yHbGjTVi_bigger.jpgHC Dynamo MoscowVerified account @dynamo_ru
FollowFollow @dynamo_ru
More

Hey, Don Cherry @CoachsCornerDC. We heard that you were fired. It’s not good! Come to Russia, we need an analyst for Dynamo TV who could talk whatever he thinks. We love old soldiers. And we will make a nice suit! We hope you agree. #WeAreDynamo

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

(You) People are sick of Don Cherry's infectious presence in their hockey broadcasts.  In my case, and I suspect the cases of others, too, I got sick of his self-aggrandizement (how insecure must one be to wear those suits!) a long time ago.  He's gone and HNiC is better for it.

Are you sure it was not intended to be written like this?   ?  I've heard it has a greater impact like that.

p.s. Thank you for introducing me to 'aggrandizement' -  I had to look it up @ Merriam-Webster.  

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Agree that his schtickt evolved through the years.  The anti-French Canadian rants were gone by the time he'd started hawking his videos.  ('Here's Mario the Magnificent with a beauty how's she going.')

Not sure when the 'chicken Swedes' thing went away, but pretty sure that faded away too.  (Probably about the time he was told to stop berating McLain on the air if he wanted to keep a job.)

It's a little sad and even maybe pitiable how things ended for Grapes.

I generally enjoyed him.

And, I mean, it's no mystery that he harboured xenophobic feelings for a whole variety of non-white, non-Anglo Canadians. I always likened him to everyone's "crazy Uncle Donny." He's over there in the recliner. He's a little drunk. He's often full of sh1t. He's funny. He's got some backwards ways of thinking about things, talking about things. He's got all kinds of stories. He's got a good heart.

13 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Elliotte Friedman

There is word this afternoon that LA has informed Ilya Kovalchuk he will be out of the lineup for the foreseeable future. He is welcome to practice with the club, but he will not be playing. Obviously, more details as they occur.

Whoa.  What's going on there?  Is DeLuca ok?

On 11/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, dudacek said:

Captures the essence of Lucic about as well as anything I’ve ever read.

Except for the last few months Lehner was defined here by keeping the score 2-2 while being outshot 40-20, then making a mistake late to pick up the “L” and get all the blame for it. He was a much more capable player than fans ever gave him credit for.

Agree, but I'd add that he was also defined as being terrible at shootouts and breakaways. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.