Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If I recall correctly Nolan did not return.  Something about a 1 year contract offer to the coach of the year and he told them no.  Enter Ruff.  Hasek happy.  Hasek not only quit on the team he forced the coach out.  Yuck.

Hasek didn't quit on the team; though a strong case could be made that Gilmour did.

And you are correct; Nolan did not return as he felt disrespected and set up for failure with his 1 year contract offer.  But fairly certainly Dom didn't hold a gun to Teddy's head keeping him from accepting Regier's 1 year offer.  And all that ushered in about a 72 year coaching rein of Lindy Ruff.

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hasek didn't quit on the team; though a strong case could be made that Gilmour did.

And you are correct; Nolan did not return as he felt disrespected and set up for failure with his 1 year contract offer.  But fairly certainly Dom didn't hold a gun to Teddy's head keeping him from accepting Regier's 1 year offer.  And all that ushered in about a 72 year coaching rein of Lindy Ruff.

Wasn’t there a rumor about Nolan putting something where it didnt belong?  EDIT: Hank has it.

13 hours ago, Curt said:

What was the reason?

Hes a decent goalie.  

Edited by Eleven

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hasek did quit on the team, just ask @Weave and he'll tell you.  In the 1997 playoff against Ottawa Hasek took himself out of game 3 with a mysterious ailment.  Then there was the Jim Kelley 'incident' followed by Hasek not playing at all in the 5 game loss to those most dastardly of the dastardly Flyers in the next series.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hasek did quit on the team, just ask @Weave and he'll tell you.  In the 1997 playoff against Ottawa Hasek took himself out of game 3 with a mysterious ailment.  Then there was the Jim Kelley 'incident' followed by Hasek not playing at all in the 5 game loss to those most dastardly of the dastardly Flyers in the next series.

Am fully aware of that.  And had Fuhr come out of the lineup due to a knee injury back in '93 the Habs don't win the Stanley Cup as Hasek doesn't give up at least 1 bad goal per game in consecutive 4-3 losses, only 1 of which didn't get to OT.

He didn't quit in '97. 

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Can you imagine the hostile work environment that follows after your wife is banging your boss? To me Hasek gets a pass for anything he did in Buffalo after that. 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am fully aware of that.  And had Fuhr come out of the lineup due to a knee injury back in '93 the Habs don't win the Stanley Cup as Hasek doesn't give up at least 1 bad goal per game in consecutive 4-3 losses, only 1 of which didn't get to OT.

He didn't quit in '97. 

Respectfully, disagree.

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Can you imagine the hostile work environment that follows after your wife is banging your boss? To me Hasek gets a pass for anything he did in Buffalo after that. 

I don't think there has been any confirmation of these rumours.  Granted, I have not looked and don't care to.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Respectfully, disagree.

I don't think there has been any confirmation of these rumours.  Granted, I have not looked and don't care to.

But you're not morally opposed to assassinating the man's character without regard to context or circumstance based on rumour and speculation?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, josie said:

Oh my god has anyone posted this article about NHL dentists anywhere yet? 
It's gleefully gory and a horrible joy to read. I love these "behind the scenes" looks into sports.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27851359/the-ugly-gory-bloody-secret-life-nhl-dentists

That is one tough read.

But very well written.

9 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yes, he did.  Twice if my memory serves.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Respectfully, disagree.

8 hours ago, Hank said:

But you're not morally opposed to assassinating the man's character without regard to context or circumstance based on rumour and speculation?

Hank has a point.  It was a widely-enough believed rumor that it would have shaken me (were I in Hasek's skates) even if it just were a rumor.  And I'm not sure it was just a rumor.

8 hours ago, Hank said:

OK, but it was not a rumour, or speculation, that he attacked Kelley and it is a fact that he did not play against the Flyers.  I will grant you that it has never been confirmed that he was, or wasn't, injured against the Senators.  That said, I believe Kelley called out Hasek concerning his 'injury' and his bailing on the team, which resulting in Hasek going nuts on him.

6 hours ago, Ducky said:

Anyone hear about this? Little has had some really bad luck with injuries the past few seasons. The Jets season is looking worse each passing day...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6137909/winnipeg-jets-bryan-little-suffered-brain-bleed-during-game-hit-to-the-head/

That’s awful. Things are stacking up against the Jets to be certain.

11 hours ago, Ducky said:

Anyone hear about this? Little has had some really bad luck with injuries the past few seasons. The Jets season is looking worse each passing day...

https://globalnews.ca/news/6137909/winnipeg-jets-bryan-little-suffered-brain-bleed-during-game-hit-to-the-head/

Hadnt heard about bleed.. but his career likely over... and long term effects depending on extent of bleed... having CTd a number of them and dealt with followups post... always some defict... think along the lines of a stroke.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:59 PM, Eleven said:

Hank has a point.  It was a widely-enough believed rumor that it would have shaken me (were I in Hasek's skates) even if it just were a rumor.  And I'm not sure it was just a rumor.

Even though at this point if it were true Hasek would very likely have done what Eric Wynalda did a few years back and verify that DC Scum Captain 4 Life John Harkes had an affair with his wife before WC 98 (Which led to Harkes being dropped from the squad) he has repeatedly said there is no truth to it whatsoever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.