Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

Not sure if it was my parents or maybe I was just a brilliant enlightened child😉but from a very early age I knew that bullying or picking on developmentally challenged individuals was wrong on so many levels. That and any form of racism was just not tolerated in any way. Full stop. So for a kid at 14 or 15 to claim that he just didn’t know any better is crap. I knew better at 5. Whats his excuse ? I do believe that people are capable of change and can improve their behaviour . He may still  develop into an upstanding young man. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ah, this takes me back to my Lego Space compatriots!

Do they all have to wear the black visors? Ala Blacktron series 1. Or can they go with a neon-green visor and fully embrace Blacktron series 2?

Edit: Also, Pegulas...  two words: "Neon Goatheads" followed by three more words of which one is a contraction of two words: "Don't do it."

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Not sure if it was my parents or maybe I was just a brilliant enlightened child😉but from a very early age I knew that bullying or picking on developmentally challenged individuals was wrong on so many levels. That and any form of racism was just not tolerated in any way. Full stop. So for a kid at 14 or 15 to claim that he just didn’t know any better is crap. I knew better at 5. Whats his excuse ? I do believe that people are capable of change and can improve their behaviour . He may still  develop into an upstanding young man. 

Is it really crap?  I listened to a 16 year old tell me about all of his racist tendencies this past weekend without him ever knowing he was being racist or caring at the very least. I only had to look at the parents.  People do tolerate forms of racism.. especially if that's the group you are in while growing up.  One hopes that he does change or has changed, but it seems clear, from his words, that they were meant more to be polished than heartfelt and certainly failed to convey that he truly feels remorseful and changed over it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

Is it really crap?  I listened to a 16 year old tell me about all of his racist tendencies this past weekend without him ever knowing he was being racist or caring at the very least. I only had to look at the parents.  People do tolerate forms of racism.. especially if that's the group you are in while growing up.  One hopes that he does change or has changed, but it seems clear, from his words, that they were meant more to be polished than heartfelt and certainly failed to convey that he truly feels remorseful and changed over it.

I agree. That reads like a "You need to sign-off on this PR release RIGHT NOW" statement, not a "I've been searching my heart for years" statement.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, I-90 W said:

NHL Network saying we should go for Mikael Granlund. Cited how we need the depth, and he played his best on a line with Staal in Minn in 06-07. 

13 ... years ... ago ...

... let that sink in 

Staal isn’t what he was 13 years ago either. Staal will (hopefully) be gone less than a year from today.

HARD pass.

11 hours ago, I-90 W said:

NHL Network saying we should go for Mikael Granlund. Cited how we need the depth, and he played his best on a line with Staal in Minn in 06-07. 

I personally think they are done at F. Not a huge fan of Granlund, regardless. A lesser Johansson to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I personally think they are done at F. Not a huge fan of Granlund, regardless. A lesser Johansson to my eye. 

Marcus Johansson stats last four years:

30 Points (9g/21a)

30 Points (13 g/17a)

14 Points (5g/9a)

58 Points (24g/34a)

Mikael Granlund's stats last four years: 

30 Points (17g/13a)

54 Points (16g/38a)

67 Points (21g/46a)

69 Points (26g/43a)

Now I realize that points arent everything, but Im not seeing how Granlund is a lesser Johansson. He has been equal or greater than Johansson in points the least four years including beating him in goals every year. 3 out of the 4 years, he beat him by 10 or more points, even on Mojo's career year. If I am taking either at a similar salary, it would be Granlund. I think Granlund on a 1 year 3 mil deal would be good for our team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Plus the line combination oppurtunities would be sensational. Imagine something like:

Hall-Eichel-Thompson (2 elite playmakers plus a player who has an elite shot-this line could put in a lot of goals)

Skinner-Staal-Granlund (Granlund had a career year with Staal, and putting Skinner with decent linemates should put him back on track for 30ish goals.)

Oloffson-Cozens-Reinhart (Assuming Cozens can play (other possibilities could include Ruotsalainen, Mitts, or Eakin), this line would be one of the top 3rd lines in the league. )

Girgs-Eakin-Okposo (Lazar could be in for Eakin here, overall just a shutdown line taking tough minutes to open up easier minutes for our 3 scoring lines.)

19 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Plus the line combination oppurtunities would be sensational. Imagine something like:

Hall-Eichel-Thompson (2 elite playmakers plus a player who has an elite shot-this line could put in a lot of goals)

Skinner-Staal-Granlund (Granlund had a career year with Staal, and putting Skinner with decent linemates should put him back on track for 30ish goals.)

Oloffson-Cozens-Reinhart (Assuming Cozens can play (other possibilities could include Ruotsalainen, Mitts, or Eakin), this line would be one of the top 3rd lines in the league. )

Girgs-Eakin-Okposo (Lazar could be in for Eakin here, overall just a shutdown line taking tough minutes to open up easier minutes for our 3 scoring lines.)

Has he played a lot at RW before? I'd be interested in the add from a talent perspective but I also don't think they have the cap. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Has he played a lot at RW before? I'd be interested in the add from a talent perspective but I also don't think they have the cap. 

Granlund has played both Rw and C, with his best years coming at Rw (on Staal’s line no less). 

He is definitely similar to Mojo in that he can play C, but is more suited for W. The cap would definitely be tricky, but flip one of the RD, and you could easily afford him this year, though that still wouldn’t really address our goalie issue.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:41 AM, Thorny said:

@sabresparaavida that's my bad, I was thinking Markus Granlund haha

Regardless, I'm still pretty sure they are done at F. 

- - - 

On a weird side note, I cannot get google to return a mikael granlund hockey db result, aside from the guy born in 1971. Insane. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=118389

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.