Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

22 hours ago, nfreeman said:

As to the first bolded -- I agree with this description and would just add that determining the point at which a discussion should be moved is not something that's susceptible to mathematical precision.  In this case, things went well beyond a discussion of the players' reaction, and got pretty heated to the point where 2 good, long-time posters left, so I thought it made sense to move it. 

I agree, there's no mathematical precision.  However, each time it happens the discussion on WHY and at WHAT point the conversation crossed the line might help indicate to others.  it might not. As for people leaving because things got heated...  

20 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Did you read Randall's farewell love letter to SabreSpace? Did it seem proportional to the tenor of the discussion? If he left because the discussion was heated, he took it from low-medium to blowtorch before taking off.

I agree with this.  That response was packed with more (far more) than the prior discussions had provided.  That was the dam breaking.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem people seem to have is that the players and coaches are bringing their politics into the discussion.  There is no dodging it: this is Colin Kaepernick writ large.  Some people don't want their sports enjoyment sullied by the grimy world of politics.  IMHO, this is a forlorn hope.  I expounded on this at length on the politics board, so I will not go into detail here.

For those who have left over the politics, I hope that you will all be back if the Sabres make moves which make them sustainably successful for several years and that they actually manage to be as successful as people like me expect of them.

5 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For those who have left over the politics, I hope that you will all be back if the Sabres make moves which make them sustainably successful for several years and that they actually manage to be as successful as people like me expect of them.

So you think they'll never be back then? ?

• Haha (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why did Montreal grab Allen?  That is a lot of money tied up in goaltending.  

$15 million.

Not sure about that one either. They must have really liked his game.

Value is fine, but there are a lot of goalies on the market that they could have had at a lower cost.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

$15 million.

Not sure about that one either. They must have really liked his game.

Value is fine, but there are a lot of goalies on the market that they could have had at a lower cost.

Two 30+ goalies when the next season begins in a flat-cap era on a not-so-good team (remember, yes, they beat PIT in a play-in, but MTL was 6 teams separated from the playoffs in a normal season; they were as bad as we were). That's way too much for a backup when your starter is making $10M. Maybe they'll get Price to waive his NMC to go to a contender. But if I'm a contender I can get someone cheaper than Price as a UFA this offseason where goalies are going to be in a surplus.

There's not a logic to this move until they make their next move.

• SDS unpinned this topic
On 9/2/2020 at 12:59 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Two 30+ goalies when the next season begins in a flat-cap era on a not-so-good team (remember, yes, they beat PIT in a play-in, but MTL was 6 teams separated from the playoffs in a normal season; they were as bad as we were). That's way too much for a backup when your starter is making $10M. Maybe they'll get Price to waive his NMC to go to a contender. But if I'm a contender I can get someone cheaper than Price as a UFA this offseason where goalies are going to be in a surplus.

There's not a logic to this move until they make their next move.

They want a better backup to give price more time off during the season. They want price to play around 50-55 games next year and have someone capable to back him up and play the other 30 or so games and still have a chance to win them. There may have been heaper alternatives, but theres more of a risk that those guys don't work out which is whats happened to them in the last few seasons.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Josh Yohe mentioned that Jason Botterill is under consideration for an AGM Position in Pittsburgh.

He had this to say

13CE7CBC-CD7C-415C-8B89-1F9969AA29E6.jpeg

ricky gervais laughing GIF

That was his reputation when he left Pittsburgh.

The fact that he won't have to wear his lack of success in Buffalo is a commentary on both the strength of the old- boys network, and the lack of respect given the Sabres franchise: basically the narrative is it was the Sabres fault he failed.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

That was his reputation when he left Pittsburgh.

The fact that he won't have to wear his lack of success in Buffalo is a commentary on both the strength of the old- boys network, and the lack of respect given the Sabres franchise: basically the narrative is it was the Sabres fault he failed.

I mean...

This might not be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But, he has arbitration rights and if the Sabres don't accept decision what happens?

That's providing it goes in that direction.

True.  Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.  I doubt he would be able to get anything too high in arbitration though.

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

True.  Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.  I doubt he would be able to get anything too high in arbitration though.

Hopefully the decisions will be in favor of the clubs, considering the impact of what's going on.

(Of course, with the exception of the guys we would like to hit the market)

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Doesn't explain Kahun.

Red Shirt. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I mean...

This might not be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

The Sabres didn't fail Botterill nearly as much as Botterill definitely failed the Sabres. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.