Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The caps are on the verge of being swept, does that make them a prime retool/rebuild canidate, or do they keep what they have, despite a poor playoffs, a far fall from the Stanley cup contender they were.

They'll keep going for it as long as Ovie is there and still good 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

The caps are on the verge of being swept, does that make them a prime retool/rebuild canidate, or do they keep what they have, despite a poor playoffs, a far fall from the Stanley cup contender they were.

With Ovi8 still there, they make a couple adjustments and hope for the best. 

More than a #2 Center, this team needs an entirely new change of culture and attitude. What is the identity of this team anyway? Are they fast? Hard to play against? Great D? Big offense? Great goaltending? Superior coaching? The answer to every single one of these is no. How can anyone in their right mind say that this team is close?

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

More than a #2 Center, this team needs an entirely new change of culture and attitude. What is the identity of this team anyway? Are they fast? Hard to play against? Great D? Big offense? Great goaltending? Superior coaching? The answer to every single one of these is no. How can anyone in their right mind say that this team is close?

It depends what you're comparing "close" to.  If they can pull off one move that makes the 2nd line good, the forward group and defensive group are likely each in the top half of the league. Replace Hutton with an average backup goalie, and then the team no longer has holes, and has a handful of really unique talents - a killer top line, dual threat opposite side one-timers on the PP, Dahlin coming into his own. Identities arent forged on paper, they're forged as a team goes through something meaningful together. Patching two holes on this team can be done in two phone calls and will elevate the talent on the team over the threshold that gives them a chance. I've seen these guys have a chance before, in the first 2 months of 2018-19, before roster holes caught up to them, and I liked what I saw a lot. 

They'll still have a lot of work to put into building that identity, but when the roster is suddenly better than more than half of the teams they play, you'll find that they'll flourish in a way that humans do when they start to believe in themselves and start to build with and for each other 

Just get a 2C and a 2G. Itll fall into place 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ubkev said:

That's why it will be hilarious when they make the playoffs before us.

Having jaundiced eyes makes one see everything in a negative light. I really believe that with a couple to few smart moves in this offseason a teetering roster can be uplifted and become capable of getting this team over the hump. Compared to many teams the Sabres have enough cap flexibility to be in position to make some impacting deals. And there are teams that because of their cap situation or need to alter their roster we will have opportunities to make deals with.

I understand the fatigue and cynicism with this stumbling franchise. But for me having a new new staff with fresh eyes and outlook this is going to be an exciting offseason. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

It depends what you're comparing "close" to.  If they can pull off one move that makes the 2nd line good, the forward group and defensive group are likely each in the top half of the league. Replace Hutton with an average backup goalie, and then the team no longer has holes, and has a handful of really unique talents - a killer top line, dual threat opposite side one-timers on the PP, Dahlin coming into his own. Identities arent forged on paper, they're forged as a team goes through something meaningful together. Patching two holes on this team can be done in two phone calls and will elevate the talent on the team over the threshold that gives them a chance. I've seen these guys have a chance before, in the first 2 months of 2018-19, before roster holes caught up to them, and I liked what I saw a lot. 

They'll still have a lot of work to put into building that identity, but when the roster is suddenly better than more than half of the teams they play, you'll find that they'll flourish in a way that humans do when they start to believe in themselves and start to build with and for each other 

Just get a 2C and a 2G. Itll fall into place 

This is a perfect post.  I think a LHD like McNabb, a second line center and a solid solid #2 goalie (someone similar to Jack Campbell would be amazing).   Our defense needs some patch work.  I think we need to make some changes to the group to bring in freshness.  McCabe and Ristolainen have been here long enough to know what they are, and at this point we need some new life in the back end.  What we do with Montour and Miller is a question mark, however they cannot be any worse than they were last year.  Also, Montour, take a real number!  62, is ridiculous!

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Having jaundiced eyes makes one see everything in a negative light. I really believe that with a couple to few smart moves in this offseason a teetering roster can be uplifted and become capable of getting this team over the hump. Compared to many teams the Sabres have enough cap flexibility to be in position to make some impacting deals. And there are teams that because of their cap situation or need to alter their roster we will have opportunities to make deals with.

I understand the fatigue and cynicism with this stumbling franchise. But for me having a new new staff with fresh eyes and outlook this is going to be an exciting offseason. 

With the exception of this year's cup winner, every single team in the league is "a couple to few smart moves" away. The last sabres playoff goal was scored by Brad Boyes! (I really wanted this to be Rob Niedermayer btw, only one game off)

Edited by ubkev

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

With the exception of this year's cup winner, every single team in the league is "a couple to few smart moves" away. The last sabres playoff goal was scored by Brad Boyes! (I really wanted this to be Rob Niedermayer! Only one game off)

I agree with you to an extent. With the majority of teams a few smart moves can make a marked difference. That's what I'm hoping for this offseason. And compared to a lot of teams we are in a good position to make those moves. You may not believe that but I do. 

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

With the exception of this year's cup winner, every single team in the league is "a couple to few smart moves" away. The last sabres playoff goal was scored by Brad Boyes! (I really wanted this to be Rob Niedermayer btw, only one game off)

I bet you can go back to the archives and find post after post and even some threads every single offseason that share this same tired sentiment. 1 or 2 moves blah blah blah,... and then they trade away our good players.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you to an extent. With the majority of teams a few smart moves can make a marked difference. That's what I'm hoping for this offseason. And compared to a lot of teams we are in a good position to make those moves. You may not believe that but I do. 

Good position to make moves, moves that can make a marked difference...

Playoffs! Series wins! Cup! That's it!

The Sabres have made good trades before. Recently even. The ROR trade was amazing. The Skinner trade was also a complete steal(the after party, not so hot). None of these moves have been supplemented with anything that helps us draft outside the top 8. 

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Good position to make moves, moves that can make a marked difference...

Playoffs! Series wins! Cup! That's it!

The Sabres have made good trades before. Recently even. The ROR trade was amazing. The Skinner trade was also a complete steal(the after party, not so hot). None of these moves have been supplemented with anything that helps us draft outside the top 8. 

I'm not trying to be snarky but if you find it to so miserable to follow this team then I recommend that you follow another team or sport. You are like the guy who hates the food of a particular restaurant but continues to patronize the place because you want to complain about the food. If that makes you happy then enjoy yourself. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not trying to be snarky but if you find it to so miserable to follow this team then I recommend that you follow another team or sport. You are like the guy who hates the food of a particular restaurant but continues to patronize the place because you want to complain about the food. If that makes you happy then enjoy yourself. 

I can't leave now. I've got too much invested in the Sabrespace Fantasy Hockey League. 2 Cups in the last eight years. I'm working on a dynasty.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I bet you can go back to the archives and find post after post and even some threads every single offseason that share this same tired sentiment. 1 or 2 moves blah blah blah,... and then they trade away our good players.

Thing is, undo 1 move and this team is on a 2 year playoff streak.  IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, undo 1 move and this team is on a 2 year playoff streak.  IMHO.

It's remarkable how one major blunder could have such a lingering repercussion. My fear is that unless the roster void is quickly addressed Jack will instruct his agent to get him out of his depressing situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's remarkable how one major blunder could have such a lingering repercussion. My fear is that unless the roster void is quickly addressed Jack will instruct his agent to get him out of his depressing situation. 

One thing that still baffles me is how the **** Botterill came to the conclusion that ROR was part of the problem.  Remember that he was trying to trade ROR before the TDL.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

One thing that still baffles me is how the **** Botterill came to the conclusion that ROR was part of the problem.  Remember that he was trying to trade ROR before the TDL.

He's not a good GM is how.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He's not a good GM is how.

Well, there is that.

4 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I absolutely do not believe that it was Jason’s call. I’ve heard that some people know stuff that the fans don’t.

4 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I have always believed that the owner was the main driver of the trade. What seemed to be forcing the issue was the impending bonus payment and the determination not to pay it. Even if an irreversible decision was made to trade him it would have made more sense to pay the bonus and give yourself more time to scan the market for a better deal. 

14 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

He was utterly incompetent in every aspect so why would you be surprised?

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Got Skinner for Pu, Jokiharju for Nylander, drafted Cozens...Botterill had his moments

Skinner has the worst contract in the league,  Joker has potential, Cozens has proven nothing in NHL could easily be another Mitts or Nylander

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.