Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I count only 5 teams in the NHL that are worse off than the Sabres. I seriously ask how this team gets out of the basement....

If it's anything like my basement was after the storm this weekend, they could just float up.

14 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I count only 5 teams in the NHL that are worse off than the Sabres. I seriously ask how this team gets out of the basement....

Since I'm on an optimism bender...

We aren't far away from playoff contention.

Eichel will come out screaming this year. Hart finalist for sure.

Dahlin will take that step and become a game-changer. This one is hard to quantify, but suffice to say, it'll mean wins.

Extra time off will work in our favor. Cozens, Thompson, Borgen could all be ready. Joker, Olof will improve.

(Speculation territory, so every point here starts with the word IF)

We acquire a real 2C, and suddenly, opponents have to account for more than 1 line.

We keep Girgs/Larsson, we'll still have a premiere shutdown line to throw at teams.

Cozens is ready to provide secondary offense, increasing our non-Eichel-fueled chances to score.

We rebalance our defense, so Ristolainen isn't getting crushed for the 100th straight year. 

So yeah, if 1-2 moves are made, people will see that we weren't so far away, Botterill should created a crater thats made the team so bad the last 2 years.

Edited by Gabrielor

2 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Since I'm on an optimism bender...

We aren't far away from playoff contention.

Eichel will come out screaming this year. Hart finalist for sure.

Dahlin will take that step and become a game-changer. This one is hard to quantify, but suffice to say, it'll mean wins.

Extra time off will work in our favor. Cozens, Thompson, Borgen could all be ready. Joker, Olof will improve.

(Speculation territory, so every point here starts with the word IF)

We acquire a real 2C, and suddenly, opponents have to account for more than 1 line.

We keep Girgs/Larsson, we'll still have a premiere shutdown line to throw at teams.

Cozens is ready to provide secondary offense, increasing our non-Eichel-fueled chances to score.

We rebalance our defense, so Ristolainen isn't getting crushed for the 100th straight year. 

So yeah, if 1-2 moves are made, people will see that we weren't so far away, Botterill should created a crater thats made the team so bad the last 2 years.

This is true of every single team. We’re not special.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Approaching a record setting playoff drought says otherwise.

You guys are measuring different things.

It should be easy to get this roster to playoff contention, which Gabrielor emphasizes.

Its embarrassing that it took this long, and that we still have work to do, which is your emphasis 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

You guys are measuring different things.

It should be easy to get this roster to playoff contention, which Gabrielor emphasizes.

Its embarrassing that it took this long, and that we still have work to do, which is your emphasis 

I was writing exactly this, but thanks for catching that.

2 minutes ago, ubkev said:

That's why it will be hilarious when they make the playoffs before us.

OMFG. I am so sick of all this garbage. Seriously I am out for the rest of the day and maybe the week. I get it the team isn't great but jesus ***** hell enough. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

OMFG. I am so sick of all this garbage. Seriously I am out for the rest of the day and maybe the week. I get it the team isn't great but jesus ***** hell enough. 

I've only started posted here regularly recently, but this place has a more far discussion-based, upbeat tone than HFBoards...

Edited by Gabrielor

44 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I've only started posted here regularly recently, but this place has a more far discussion-based, upbeat tone than HFBoards...

This is a great forum. The threads and discussions are nearly all well thought out and open. And rarely childish. The problem is the source material/team just grates on us over the years and it's the same discussions on repeat. There's still hope, always hope.

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Saw that comin'

All too easy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

Not by trading away high draft picks.

It depends on the return, as always, with any asset. There is no full stop statement like “not by trading picks” that is applicable. 

Don’t trade high picks for a sub-optimal return? Of course not.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.