Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

At least he didn't cost us a first and a second rounder...It is moves like these (Montour trade) that inhibits the Sabres from building a solid team.

I'd rather have Chisholm than Bogo for 5.3m per year to be honest. 5.3m per year for over 4 seasons for 67 points... think about that for a minute...

Myers had almost twice the points. 

Kane 118 points

Staf 70 points

Armia 58 points

Roslo 68 points

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-still-benefitting-evander-kane-deal-nhl-trade-trees/

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

When the trade was made, in their eyes Stafford replaced Kane, Armia and Lemieux were future top 6 players, Myers was the next Chara, and the pick was used on inevitable 2C Jack Roslovic. 

That’s the narrative. I’m reality, they acquired almost zero lasting return. Perhaps a nice depth bottom 6 player in Roslovic. Ironically, they gave away Armia for nothing to facilitate the Mason cap dump and Armia looks to be the most serviceable player. Smooth GM work.

People in glass houses...

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

No one is saying It was a win from the Sabres' side.

Are there no Jets forums around?

Indeed, the trade can be parsed till the cows come home but that's kind of my point - the classification of it as a ridiculous fleecing and the hyperbole surrounding it from the Jets side was dumb, and always was. 

On 7/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, Eleven said:

Chip off the old block — that’s exactly he kind of dirty BS play his pop delivered regularly.

And I don’t see how @Ducky can be crowing over the Kane-Myers trade. Kane was the best player in the deal and it ultimately ended up being mostly sound and fury.

I will say that I’m curious as to whether most Jets fans think the playoff run that @Ducky alluded to was primarily due to the trade.  It sure didn’t seem that way from here — the guys the Sabres gave up didn’t seem to play huge roles for the Jets.

Just now, TheCerebral1 said:

John Chayka out as GM of Arizona.  He took a non-hockey related job, it looks like after he was given permission to interview with said venture. 

Wonder if they'll get another heavily analytical GM again or change directions?  Would expect they'll continue in the same direction.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Wonder if they'll get another heavily analytical GM again or change directions?  Would expect they'll continue in the same direction.

I would expect so.  Keeping their model in tune, at least for the next few seasons to say the least.  

Apologies if already posted...

Sad news just posted about Dale

Eric Hawerchuk
@EricHawerchuk
· 1h
My dad is back in his fight against cancer due to a resurgence of this terrible disease. We are praying for him and he will continue to fight hard

#HawerchukStrong

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Yep, an exhibition match 

People can bitch about how stupid it is to try and start up sports again, but ***** it. Even if it only lasts a week or so, it is a welcome break from thIs festering boil that is Covid.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Conor Sheary - "hey I can actually hockey if I'm playing with a hockey centreman!"

I kid you not, it took me about ten minutes of thinking about it really hard to realize just what the ***** Sheary was doing out there for the Pens.  The trade deadline / hockey games being a thing that actually happened feels like a million years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I kid you not, it took me about ten minutes of thinking about it really hard to realize just what the ***** Sheary was doing out there for the Pens.  The trade deadline / hockey games being a thing that actually happened feels like a million years ago.  

You don’t remember us trading him for Steve Ott?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:58 AM, sabresparaavida said:

Don't forget him having our first 2 goals this year: we'll see if he can keep it up

You just triggered something in my head.  Ow, that hurts.

What if Botterill's plan last year was for Eichel to be between Sheary and Vesey with Johansson, Rodrigues, Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, and Mittlestadt filling in the top 9 while a guy from a trade for an RD and, ugh, Sobotka filling in?  Jack runs his line while the other 6 figure something out.  That seems ill-conceived, but it looks a lot like what the Pens do with Crosby and Malkin.

My head hurts some more.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You just triggered something in my head.  Ow, that hurts.

What if Botterill's plan last year was for Eichel to be between Sheary and Vesey with Johansson, Rodrigues, Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, and Mittlestadt filling in the top 9 while a guy from a trade for an RD and, ugh, Sobotka filling in?  Jack runs his line while the other 6 figure something out.  That seems ill-conceived, but it looks a lot like what the Pens do with Crosby and Malkin.

My head hurts some more.

This does beg the question, can Jack support marginal NHL talent on his line?  What we've seen to date would say no.  So far, only Reinhart, Skinner and Olofsson have had success.  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

This does beg the question, can Jack support marginal NHL talent on his line?  What we've seen to date would say no.  So far, only Reinhart, Skinner and Olofsson have had success.  

has it really been tried much? Wonder what the numbers are. Fancy stats, boys?

i remember Vesey getting some shifts, usually late in a period or game for defensive purposes.

I also get the sense that Jack gets a ton of say about who his wingers are.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.