Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

On 7/21/2020 at 9:51 AM, dudacek said:

Straight Drury.

Lemieux is a douchebag and I'm glad he never played for our team.

I dunno, the Jets are reaping the benefits of that Armia, Lemieux, Stafford, Roslovic, Myers fleecing with those players (or their returns) lighting it up for them... wait.

Biggest overreaction to a trade ever. Though, I live here. Montour is probably the best active component from that trade still playing for one of the teams and I’m barely high on Montour. 

Edited by Thorny

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I dunno, the Jets are reaping the benefits of that Armia, Lemieux, Stafford, Roslovic, Myers fleecing with those players (or their returns) lighting it up for them... wait.

Biggest overreaction to a trade ever. Though, I live here. Montour is probably the best active component from that trade still playing for one of the teams and I’m barely high on Montour. 

so what they did while they were playing after the trade for the team's doesn't matter?

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

so what they did while they were playing after the trade for the team's doesn't matter?

Get swept by Anaheim? No.

Besides, it’s more the, truly ridiculous, hyperbole surrounding the trade I was taking aim at. 

“BEST TRADE EVER!” *clap clap clap clap clap*

Edited by Thorny

Because nobody played for the Jets after that series?

If you don't want to admit to being fleeced I understand.

I'm not going to put up the points that all the players scored  or argue with you over who won the trade but to me it is obvious.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Because nobody played for the Jets after that series?

If you don't want to admit to being fleeced I understand.

I'm not going to put up the points that all the players scored  or argue with you over who won the trade but to me it is obvious.

Lol ok Ducks. 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I find the blinders so many Jet fans have about that trade funny.

I live here, I’m not exaggerating, nearly to a man, *nowadays* Jets fans will bring up that trade as a key reason the team has been successful, and claim it to be among the best trades ever consummated, and I’m not kidding. Their entire arena chanted it at hockey games for several years after the deal.

Like, it’s fine if you want to say they got the better of it. I would argue at this point, we actually did considering we have the best player resulting from it and those guys mostly amounted to jack squat in the Peg. But the hyperbole has always been laughable. 

Jets fans are weird though. I have an article from the Free Press saved anointing Lowry as the next Toews. They took extreme pride in the Kane move in no small part due to how much this city hated Kane. Utter hatred.

Edited by Thorny

When the trade was made, in their eyes Stafford replaced Kane, Armia and Lemieux were future top 6 players, Myers was the next Chara, and the pick was used on inevitable 2C Jack Roslovic. 

That’s the narrative. I’m reality, they acquired almost zero lasting return. Perhaps a nice depth bottom 6 player in Roslovic. Ironically, they gave away Armia for nothing to facilitate the Mason cap dump and Armia looks to be the most serviceable player. Smooth GM work.

Edited by Thorny

Who anointed them what you said? You or fans or who? We got to the playoffs twice and once was the Western Conference Final what did Kane get you guys?  a second pairing defenseman that doesn't know how to play defense

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Who anointed them what you said? You or fans or who? We got to the playoffs twice and once was the Western Conference Final what did Kane get you guys?  a second pairing defenseman that doesn't know how to play defense

The city. 

Those players didn’t get you those things. Your good players did. 

Well, actually, Rinne being a sieve got you the second one. 

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I live here, I’m not exaggerating, nearly to a man, *nowadays* Jets fans will bring up that trade as a key reason the team has been successful, and claim it to be among the best trades ever consummated, and I’m not kidding. Their entire arena chanted it at hockey games for several years after the deal.

Like, it’s fine if you want to say they got the better of it. I would argue at this point, we actually did considering we have the best player resulting from it and those guys mostly amounted to jack squat in the Peg. But the hyperbole has always been laughable. 

Jets fans are weird though. I have an article from the Free Press saved anointing Lowry as the next Toews. They took extreme pride in the Kane move in no small part due to how much this city hated Kane. Utter hatred.

Connor Hellebuyck is the reason that team is successful, and I would trade almost anyone for him.  I even felt that way when he played for USA at the WJC.

The Kane trade has resulted in basically a net zero for either team.  I guess the Sabres have Montour, but that's not exactly huge.

8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Who anointed them what you said? You or fans or who? We got to the playoffs twice and once was the Western Conference Final what did Kane get you guys? 

Yes, all of this was due to that trade (eyeroll)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Connor Hellebuyck is the reason that team is successful, and I would trade almost anyone for him.  I even felt that way when he played for USA at the WJC.

The Kane trade has resulted in basically a net zero for either team.  I guess the Sabres have Montour, but that's not exactly huge.

He's the reason, but it's saying something that he has to be. Their D was crap but they still have a ton of forward talent. They were not up to standards this season. They have a similar centre problem to us. It should be noted that Scheifele's mediocre to sometimes downright poor defensive play isn't highlighted enough. He finished 12th on the NHL.com 20 centres list that just came out, and I think that's too high. 

Who are the players you would NOT trade for Hellebuyck? Goalies can be streaky. 

Furthermore, my main point wasn't to debate the trade again (as much as I agree with your analysis) but merely to point out how obviously ridiculous the hyperbole around that deal has PROVEN to be. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Said the trade was fair for both when it was made and nothing to date has caused that opinion to change.

Though now that pretty much the entire bounty for both sides are gone, it's about as relevant to today as Warrener and Reinprecht for Drury & Begin is.  

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who are the players you would NOT trade for Hellebuyck?

Depending on the package coming back, anyone not named Dahlin or Eichel is ok by me.  Again, depending on the package coming back.

I think Hellebuyck will be Vezina-caliber sooner than later.  I also am partial to teams built from the goaltender out.  Seems to have worked in Buffalo a number of times, no?

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Depending on the package coming back, anyone not named Dahlin or Eichel is ok by me.  Again, depending on the package coming back.

I think Hellebuyck will be Vezina-caliber sooner than later.  I also am partial to teams built from the goaltender out.  Seems to have worked in Buffalo a number of times, no?

Helle is Vezina caliber right now.

Odds on favorite to win it this season and runner up 2 seasons ago. He is signed for 4 more seasons at about 6.2m per year.

You don't trade Helle when Brossoit is the best goalie in the system after him.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You might be forgetting Declan Chisholm (3rd highest scoring d man in OHL this season.

How do you win a trade when you acquire Citizen Kane and Bogo?

Let me know when Mr. Chisholm wins his first Norris, and we'll talk.

Third-highest-scoring defenseman in the OHL.  WOW!

30 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You might be forgetting Declan Chisholm (3rd highest scoring D man in OHL this season).

How do you win a trade when you acquire Citizen Kane and Bogo?

Who?

Yes, 5th round pick, he's 20, older than Dahlin lol. That wasn't really much of an accomplishment - it was his second post draft season in juniors.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.